Yo Husky fans, just a reminder...

dogorama

Reaction score
JSeahawks":fof9zi4q said:
dogorama":fof9zi4q said:
This is a defining moment in the duck program, it hasn't hit anywhere near freefall but it is starting to spiral downwards. There is such pressure to win at Oregon that the current coaching staff has went so far as to go to smaller schools and recruit quarterbacks and other players w/remaining eligibility to play out their eligibility at Oregon. While there is nothing against the rules if they have graduated, it does create dissenion within the ranks of current players. How would you feel if you were part of a group of duck QB's awaiting their turn and none of you were givea shot? It is coach/recruit etiquette 101, you simply don't do that.

If I were a player's high school coach or parent of a hot prospect, I would look at what Oregon is up to and advise that player to look elsewhere. IIRC, some players have already pulled their commits, is it because of this? I have no way of knowing. The fact remains that Oregon's ability to attract top recruits has declined and their draft rankings relect that. In the current climate of college football you need to have top-15 recruiting classes year-in year-out or you will not vie for playoff status. That much is certain.

Man, I don't even know where to start. You think players would have rather lost games with Jeff lockie then won games with Vernon Adams? I seriously doubt there was any dissension in that locker room because of bringing in a better qb.

I'm sure the duck coaches would rather not have to bring in one year rental qbs, but they had a lot of attrition at the position which forced their hand. Some recruited qbs got injured, some left the program cuz they couldn't beat out mariota, some it turned out just weren't good enough to compete at this level so transferred out. It happens at every school at the qb position (for example: cyler miles, Troy Williams, nick Montana.... And yes, Uw brought in a junior college qb to bolster depth as well).

The good news is that the 1 and done qbs are now over and it hasn't negatively effected qb recruiting in the slightest as you suggested. We now have a pipeline, 3 young studs on the roster and already a commited stud for next years recruiting class.

As for recruiting rankings, oregon is never going to pull in top 15 classes. It's geographically impossible. i think we've ceiling'd out at #13. We're usually somewhere in the 15-25 range,yet that's been good enough to reach the playoffs (win a playoff game) and a bcs championship. It's about finding the right recruits for Oregon, it's not about finding a top 10 class.

You make good points re outside players, but I still think it's bad for ANY program, particularly when it's two years in a row.

As for recruiting, I was referring to an article I read that demonstrated how that trend has developed and is proven statistically. Oregon's opportunities were seen as an anomaly w/Kelly's innovative offenses that in the end couldn't compete with the superior athletes that result from top-15 classes.

Don James' teams were able to compete nationally w/o top-15 classes but that was a different time where Oregon, Stanford, Cal, and teams like that were cupcakes on our schedule and easily out-recruited. The current trend has seen USC, Oregon, and Stanford have runs of dominance, but that has only further created a situation where most of the schools in the Pac have had enough success to recruit. The pool is diluted but USC will always have an advantage w/25 million people in LA County.

chris98251

Reaction score
Key to recruiting, keep the best in state talent from going somewhere else, then look to get players somewhere else. James recruited heavily in state on the Lines and got many skill players from California. When he left and I think it was The Weasel that stopped and USC and other schools were grabbing them up.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
chris98251":o0s8m1wj said:
Key to recruiting, keep the best in state talent from going somewhere else, then look to get players somewhere else.

Generically I agree. But for me personally I'd much rather land a 3 star from Texas, California or SEC country then a 4 star from Oregon, because they're more battle tested and face off against much stiffer competition.

chris98251

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3gq9h9yf said:
chris98251":3gq9h9yf said:
Key to recruiting, keep the best in state talent from going somewhere else, then look to get players somewhere else.

Generically I agree. But for me personally I'd much rather land a 3 star from Texas, California or SEC country then a 4 star from Oregon, because they're more battle tested and face off against much stiffer competition.

Why not both, letting a 3 star go that's a senior in high school legitimately versus a guy in Texas that's a 5th or 6th year senior, yes they do that, hold a kid back so he has a better chance to get a scholarship and grow bigger to play on the High School team, there was a show on it and it was a pretty regular situation.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
chris98251":2kamnyzp said:
JSeahawks":2kamnyzp said:
chris98251":2kamnyzp said:

Why not both, letting a 3 star go that's a senior in high school legitimately versus a guy in Texas that's a 5th or 6th year senior, yes they do that, hold a kid back so he has a better chance to get a scholarship and grow bigger to play on the High School team, there was a show on it and it was a pretty regular situation.

Oh, i'm sure all kinds of shenanigans go on down south.

justafan

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1dvf3awa said:
It's been 4,699 days.

The only game that is more important to me is a Rose Bowl.

I know this isnt Oregons best team but it would still be a huge win.It would be the biggest win in years including last nights game.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
JSeahawks":34cyvqjr said:
chris98251":34cyvqjr said:
JSeahawks":34cyvqjr said:
chris98251":34cyvqjr said:

Oh, i'm sure all kinds of shenanigans go on down south.
It's a trend here in the Northwest as well.

My nephew who's a freshman in Highschool has consistently played against kids that are a year older all of his sports
playing life even though they are in the same grade. The parents hold out the kid from starting kindergarten a full year, to get a "perceived" physical and mental advantage.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
cesame":11ww3is5 said:
Phil Knight just this year donated $400 million to Stanford, and none if it had to do with football. You really think Phil Knight is all about football?

When he passes away he's already pledge to give the majority of his fortune to charity. That's a lot of money.

CodeWarrior is exactly on point. Criticizing the Ducks because of Phil Knight is just silly.

What is pretty silly is Alabama recruiting a QB from Hawaii and promising to give the recruit's dad a job, probably paying around $75-100K. If that's not buying recruits I don't know what is.
Kind of like what UW hoops did with that mega recruit and hiring his dad?

SeaHawk80

Reaction score
I hate to be a stickler about this But I have to point out your error sir
The Oregon Ducks have never won a national championship nor a BCS Championship or a Playoff Championship.

JSeahawks wrote:
dogorama wrote:
This is a defining moment in the duck program, it hasn't hit anywhere near freefall but it is starting to spiral downwards. There is such pressure to win at Oregon that the current coaching staff has went so far as to go to smaller schools and recruit quarterbacks and other players w/remaining eligibility to play out their eligibility at Oregon. While there is nothing against the rules if they have graduated, it does create dissenion within the ranks of current players. How would you feel if you were part of a group of duck QB's awaiting their turn and none of you were givea shot? It is coach/recruit etiquette 101, you simply don't do that.

If I were a player's high school coach or parent of a hot prospect, I would look at what Oregon is up to and advise that player to look elsewhere. IIRC, some players have already pulled their commits, is it because of this? I have no way of knowing. The fact remains that Oregon's ability to attract top recruits has declined and their draft rankings relect that. In the current climate of college football you need to have top-15 recruiting classes year-in year-out or you will not vie for playoff status. That much is certain.

Man, I don't even know where to start. You think players would have rather lost games with Jeff lockie then won games with Vernon Adams? I seriously doubt there was any dissension in that locker room because of bringing in a better qb.

I'm sure the duck coaches would rather not have to bring in one year rental qbs, but they had a lot of attrition at the position which forced their hand. Some recruited qbs got injured, some left the program cuz they couldn't beat out mariota, some it turned out just weren't good enough to compete at this level so transferred out. It happens at every school at the qb position (for example: cyler miles, Troy Williams, nick Montana.... And yes, Uw brought in a junior college qb to bolster depth as well).

The good news is that the 1 and done qbs are now over and it hasn't negatively effected qb recruiting in the slightest as you suggested. We now have a pipeline, 3 young studs on the roster and already a commited stud for next years recruiting class.

As for recruiting rankings, oregon is never going to pull in top 15 classes. It's geographically impossible. i think we've ceiling'd out at #13. We're usually somewhere in the 15-25 range,yet that's been good enough to reach the playoffs (win a playoff game) and a bcs championship. It's about finding the right recruits for Oregon, it's not about finding a top 10 class.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Pondering whether to stay up and watch this. Outside of watching teams with players who interest me I don't really watch the college game. Maybe I need a team to get behind?

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":1qzv6kfo said:
Pondering whether to stay up and watch this. Outside of watching teams with players who interest me I don't really watch the college game. Maybe I need a team to get behind?

I'm in the same boat, don't really have a college team. Can't jump on the Husky wagon now though, I wasn't interested enough when they were terrible.

I've got a family friend being recruited by some big colleges, I'll probably just start supporting whoever he ends up playing for.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
SeaHawk80":1pa6teo6 said:
The Oregon Ducks have never won a national championship nor a BCS Championship or a Playoff Championship.

JSeahawks wrote:
dogorama wrote:

Hate to be a stickler on this but perhaps you should work on your reading comprehension. I did not claim the ducks won any championships. (Only husky fans claim mythical titles). I said we've been good enough to win a playoff game (vs Florida state) and reach a bcs championship (vs auburn). Which part do you disagree with?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2mwab929 said:
SeaHawk80":2mwab929 said:

JSeahawks wrote:
dogorama wrote:

Hate to be a stickler on this but perhaps you should work on your reading comprehension. I did not claim the ducks won any championships. (Only husky fans claim mythical titles). I said we've been good enough to win a playoff game (vs Florida state) and reach a bcs championship (vs auburn). Which part do you disagree with?

The 1960's national title claim started about 10 years ago was bunk and started by our idiot AD at the time.
It's as stupid as Nueweasel's "northwest champions" claim.

With that being said UW still has 1 legit national title, Oregon has 0, and their window for one has slammed shut.
8)

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1220sx5f said:
The 1960's national title claim started about 10 years ago was bunk and started by our idiot AD at the time.

With that being said UW still has 1 legit national title, Oregon has 0, and their window for one has slammed shut.
8)

UW has 1/2 of a legit national title. The window for the other slams shot in about 7 hours.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Goodness, if the Ducks manage to pull a miracle out of their collective butts tonight and win can you imagine how insufferable J will be around here?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2hjrbast said:
Sports Hernia":2hjrbast said:

8)

UW has 1/2 of a legit national title. The window for the other slams shot in about 7 hours.
Your thinking of 1984 but 91 was no doubt..The Dawgs are on national tv btw so we all get to see this game!
GO DAWGS!!!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3fel1tjf said:
Sports Hernia":3fel1tjf said:

8)

It says National Champion on the trophy and there is one trophy in the case.
Just sayin'. 8)

Latest posts