YAC

nanomoz

Reaction score

Shane Falco

Reaction score
Technically 198, but yes. Again, though: In what way are NFL drafts from the past relevant to the Seahawks of the present needing to improve their yards after catch?

Absolutely nothing. it went off topic with taking Eskridge over Humphry. Keep up.

KinesProf

Reaction score
Rashaad Penny over Nick Chubb?
I think that one is more misfortune than a bad evaluation.

I don't think they misevaluated Penny as a talent; as he is an absolutely electric player when he is available and a home run threat with any carry, as indicated by his 5.7 career yards per carry (if he can get to 750 career carries with a 5.5 or above he will qualify for the best career ypc in history).

The bad luck is that Chubb had the injury concern coming out, and Penny had the clean bill of health. While I'm very glad Chubb overcame those concerns, that's just one of those "thems the breaks" situations for the Hawks.

balakoth

Reaction score
The ghost otherwise known as Dee Eskridge is invisible and after two full seasons has done diddly.

Expecting that leopard to change it's spots is seemingly fanciful thinking. He is just a player that cannot stay healthy. He's been on IR for both seasons and has been available for 20 of 33 regular season games.

Something will need to really change for him for Eskridge to be anything more than a wasted draft pick.
You have to get snaps to prove yourself..

jammerhawk

Reaction score
True that and unfortunately he just has not gotten those snaps over two seasons now with the team.

Perhaps he actually has some talent but it is the case we haven't really seen much of it on the field.

I don't know why thee abilities of Eskridge are somehow defensible because they haven't been shown to any noticeable degree on the field. I apologize if my post took this thread off topic.

I agree with the OP and do think the team needs to find more RAC performance from the O. I'm just suspect that much if any of it will come from Eskridge.

Chapow

Reaction score
He was highly rated centers just tend to go later. A lot of draft pundits killed Seattle for it when it happened so criticism of the staff is warranted. I was shocked they didn’t take Creed when he was there.

Humphrey went 63rd overall. The 2nd to last pick in the 2nd round. Every team that had a 1st or 2nd round pick in that draft passed on him at least once. Most of them twice. Turns out the whole league got it wrong, not just the Seahawks. If anyone had thought Humphrey would become a 2nd team all pro and PFF's highest rated C in just his 2nd season, he would have been taken at least a full round before where he ended up going.

And despite the narrative that C was a huge need at the time, the fact is that we already had a solid, albeit unspectacular young player at C. As has been pointed out, but largely ignored, by several other posters every time this gets brought up.

Yeah, it turns out that Humphrey would have been a way better pick than the guy we took instead. A whole bunch of other teams can say the same thing.

Chapow

Reaction score
Rashaad Penny over Nick Chubb?

In college, one of these guys was dominant to the point of looking like a man against boys, was a consensus All-American, and had no history of injuries. The other one was very good and had a massive medical red flag due to a very severe knee injury earlier in his college career.

Care to guess which guy is the former and which guy is the latter?

Ozzy

Reaction score
Humphrey went 63rd overall. The 2nd to last pick in the 2nd round. Every team that had a 1st or 2nd round pick in that draft passed on him at least once. Most of them twice. Turns out the whole league got it wrong, not just the Seahawks. If anyone had thought Humphrey would become a 2nd team all pro and PFF's highest rated C in just his 2nd season, he would have been taken at least a full round before where he ended up going.

And despite the narrative that C was a huge need at the time, the fact is that we already had a solid, albeit unspectacular young player at C. As has been pointed out, but largely ignored, by several other posters every time this gets brought up.

Yeah, it turns out that Humphrey would have been a way better pick than the guy we took instead. A whole bunch of other teams can say the same thing.
You’re not all wrong but again centers tend to go later than most positions and like I said I remember most draft sites killing Seattle for it when it happened because most people saw it as a perfect fit for Seattle. But like you said multiple teams missed it as well. Seattles line issues were well known tho so it’s hard for it not be a little critical of them

Jville

Reaction score
Godwin Igwebuike, I love this dude on KR/PR duties. When he's out there I feel we get some good field positioning and he's QUICK. Much more refreshing than Dallas imo.

Terrific yards after the catch. There are a couple of others already on the roster as well. The competition at punt and kick return (after the catch) should be particularly outstanding for 2023.

Ozzy

Reaction score
In college, one of these guys was dominant to the point of looking like a man against boys, was a consensus All-American, and had no history of injuries. The other one was very good and had a massive medical red flag due to a very severe knee injury earlier in his college career.

Care to guess which guy is the former and which guy is the latter?
I liked Chubb more because of where he played even with the injury risks but I can see Seattle's thought process for sure with Penny. When healthy he is a monster and its a bummer he could never stay healthy. Chubb just screamed Seattle running back with his style. I think Seattle factored in that Carson was very similar and Penny brings another element to the room.