Would you trade Jaren Reed for JJ Watt?

ivotuk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1qmxxiia said:
jamescasey1124":1qmxxiia said:
They were using reed as an outside de against the cards. I think the idea was to get more pressure with him regardless of other players. If snacks and poona hold down the middle....expect to see Reed out on the edges more often. I wouldn't make the trade because you are reaching for what watt used to be. Not what he is now.
Reed is not a good player, period. I don't care if we play him on the edge, on the inside, he's not good. He's had moments where he's looked good, but more often than not he is a liability. This is his fifth year in the NFL and all he has is one good season 3 years ago, and a bunch of mediocre, to below mediocre seasons following. You're doing the exact same thing right now, gleaming onto a season that happened 3 years ago. The fact of the matter is J.J Watt has done more in a six game period than Reed has done in two years.

This is not correct. Your evaluation of Jarran Reed is way off.

Marcel Dareus was a premier DT in the league for 10 years, yet their stats are very similar. DTs don't get big numbers. I don't think anyone besides NFL coaches and GMs can legitimately evaluate DTs.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Of course we'd trade Reed for Watt. The question is why on earth would Houston trade their version of Steve Largent, the face of their franchise, who's STILL productive and their biggest team leader for an overpaid stiff with one sack and a big contract?

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
This is not a plausible trade scenario due to salary cap considerations. The Hawks are already over the cap with the Dunlap trade and will have to create space for that. You'd then have to create significant additional space for the prorated portion of Watt's 15.5M base salary this year to fit him in, only a small portion of which would come from trading out Reed's 2020 salary (trading Reed itself would also leave 5M in dead cap for both the rest of this season AND next season). Then you'd also have Watt's 17.5M salary/cap charge for 2021 to account for, which combined with the 5M in dead money created in 2021 by trading Reed, would effectively mean that Watt's presence would consume 22.5M in cap space against the 2021 cap which is expected to drop to 175M due to the revenue shortfalls this season. That's not happening, and this entire debate is wasted energy.

chris98251

Reaction score
I wonder how many would be saying we have Avril lets trade Bennett, Reed is obviously a target in a scheme to Double, he is there to clog a lane and push the pocket. He may not be as good as Bennett was at getting to a QB but he does his job.

Adding another threat and also getting Snacks in the rotation will keep legs fresh and quick twitch muscles fresher and all will benefit from it. We also will have Green coming back soon which will also help the rotation and if Taylor can break in that's a bonus going forward.

We just have not had all the pieces together since day one with some experience, we get one player healthy and two go down, or we pick up one and two more go down and one returns.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
ivotuk":2n7w3knb said:
Spin Doctor":2n7w3knb said:
jamescasey1124":2n7w3knb said:
They were using reed as an outside de against the cards. I think the idea was to get more pressure with him regardless of other players. If snacks and poona hold down the middle....expect to see Reed out on the edges more often. I wouldn't make the trade because you are reaching for what watt used to be. Not what he is now.
Reed is not a good player, period. I don't care if we play him on the edge, on the inside, he's not good. He's had moments where he's looked good, but more often than not he is a liability. This is his fifth year in the NFL and all he has is one good season 3 years ago, and a bunch of mediocre, to below mediocre seasons following. You're doing the exact same thing right now, gleaming onto a season that happened 3 years ago. The fact of the matter is J.J Watt has done more in a six game period than Reed has done in two years.

This is not correct. Your evaluation of Jarran Reed is way off.

Marcel Dareus was a premier DT in the league for 10 years, yet their stats are very similar. DTs don't get big numbers. I don't think anyone besides NFL coaches and GMs can legitimately evaluate DTs.
Reed is not Dareus, I’m aware that they play different roles, watt and reed. I’m saying that Reed is not a great player, and his impact would not be missed. He has not played well for a few years now.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":2n25kczz said:
I wonder how many would be saying we have Avril lets trade Bennett, Reed is obviously a target in a scheme to Double, he is there to clog a lane and push the pocket. He may not be as good as Bennett was at getting to a QB but he does his job..

Reed does see quite a few double teams, and yes he did benefit from Clark playing next to him for his best season two years ago.

But that's where the comparisons end to Bennett and Avril. For a new 23M contract, Reed has been a failure, end of story. He was expected to return to his 2018 form and be the producer on this line. Not only has that not happened, we've had to go out and get Snacks to make up for Reed's lack of production and impact on games.

If he continues to play this poorly, he will not be here next year. You do not pay an interior lineman 13M for one sack, two QB hits and six tackles in half a season.

chris98251

Reaction score
The Bennett Avril throw out was an example of how having multiple players that can play with a threat to the offense on a line can compliment each other, yes it was our best example, but when you can handle most players one on one your go to location and or pass protection is much easier, You can also have more average guys on a O line be successful with just say one guy to worry about.

Fade

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":2kgtw2v0 said:
This is not a plausible trade scenario due to salary cap considerations. The Hawks are already over the cap with the Dunlap trade and will have to create space for that. You'd then have to create significant additional space for the prorated portion of Watt's 15.5M base salary this year to fit him in, only a small portion of which would come from trading out Reed's 2020 salary (trading Reed itself would also leave 5M in dead cap for both the rest of this season AND next season). Then you'd also have Watt's 17.5M salary/cap charge for 2021 to account for, which combined with the 5M in dead money created in 2021 by trading Reed, would effectively mean that Watt's presence would consume 22.5M in cap space against the 2021 cap which is expected to drop to 175M due to the revenue shortfalls this season. That's not happening, and this entire debate is wasted energy.

I agree, though Seattle could convert Wilson's base salary to signing bonus to make it work, they are not going to want to travel down that road and create salary cap problems for this one season.

Seattle will be looking at Griffin and Aldon Smith down in Dallas me thinks. The Seahawks are probably going to have to move Hollister as well to help ease the cap numbers.

They may convert a little bit of base to signing bonus for Wilson or Lockett, but I am not expecting a massive number.

For those interested ->
Via OTC with Wilson they can go up to $12.7M in free space. And Lockett they can go up to $4.295M in free space. That would then be prorated over the remaining years of their contract giving their cap numbers a bump in the following seasons. They wouldn't be looking to max them out so to speak, though, I would think. Just maybe $6M for Wilson or something along those lines. Which would increase Wilson's cap number $2M per year for the next three years.

PNW

Reaction score
It’s a fun senecio to imagine, JJ Watt and Dunlap. That would be a mean combo.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Thing that sucks is the team has 3 good 1T nose tackles and basically Reed is it at 3T, so it's rough. You'd have to have someone ready to effectively play the 3 on base downs. But Reed is highly replaceable and if you can get value for him, now would be the time.

kf3339

Reaction score
The talk of getting JJ Watt is sure fun to get excited about, except that this is 2020. JJ hasn't looked like JJ for several years. He will excite you in short spurts, but his body isn't going to give you the JJ of old. The only way I would trade for him is maybe Collier and a 2022 mid round pick. But the Texans would have to eat the vast majority of his contract. That isn't going to happen.

We should be looking in a different direction.

PNW

Reaction score
Agreed, he’s a shell of himself after Clark left, the whole D-line hasn’t been the same since we lost Clark :(

kf3339

Reaction score
The talk of getting JJ Watt is sure fun to get excited about, except that this is 2020. JJ hasn't looked like JJ for several years. He will excite you in short spurts, but his body isn't going to give you the JJ of old. The only way I would trade for him is maybe Collier and a 2022 mid round pick. But the Texans would have to eat the vast majority of his contract. That isn't going to happen.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kf3339":2osojcjj said:

Three sacks and 18 solo tackles would be by FAR the leader on our D-line in production this season so far, add in no cap hit next year and he'd absolutely be a great acquisition.

The joke part is thinking Houston would want a stiff like Reed that's going to make only 2M less than Watt next year, with no production whatsoever.

So if someone wants Watt, you better become more realistic in who you're giving up.

SuperMan28

Reaction score
JJ Watt's vast injury history in recent years is enough to scare me away from this trade.

Latest posts