Would it be too cocky when looking at Seahawks schedule

niveky

Reaction score
to figure that, at most there will be 4 losses...again AT MOST. I feel like the only real games they would be in danger of losing are the 49'ers games.(not saying they will and have confidence they will get at least one of those games), possibly the Houston game, and possibly the Atlanta game. If the Hawks end up winning 1 or both of the 49'ers games, I could see potential losses to New Orleans and/or maybe one of the St. Louis games.

I feel pretty confident about the roster as it stands, but until the season starts and we see how they play and weather that initial storm without pass rusher(s) the first 4-6 weeks of the season(hopefully Clemons will recover fully and be his normal self...i'm really hoping) it's going to be hard to probably get a proper barometer on the full strength of the team. Pass rush can be a big weakness if things don't come together right with the new pieces they have added.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Unfortunately, there are always a couple games we lose that we have no business losing. That's when the gameday forum becomes the most fun/ridiculous/hideous/unfun/melted down (all at once).

NFL_Football2013

Reaction score
GeekHawk":36md2te8 said:
Unfortunately, there are always a couple games we lose that we have no business losing. That's when the gameday forum becomes the most fun/ridiculous/hideous/unfun/melted down (all at once).

agreed, it happens to every team thats "good"

OP
OP
niveky

niveky

Reaction score
GeekHawk":q21c2xcq said:

exactly, which is why I have New Orleans and St. Louis. Those are games that probably everyone figures the Hawks should handle. St. Louis has played the Hawks tough since Fisher took over last year, but I just believe that the Hawks are too well put together for them to really get a win...but with as tough as they play us they could get one of those games possibly.

New Orleans, defensively still look to be a pile of cow patties, but who knows, they may improve vastly and they can't play any worse on defense than they did last year...at least I don't think so....could be proved wrong....also with Sean Payton back I expect the Saints offense is going to be going back to its old ways. I still believe with the balance the Seahawks have and the explosive play potential with Wilson and all his playmakers they can keep pace with the Saints if needed, but the defense will probably keep it from coming to that.

Houston and Atlanta I feel the Hawks can win but it wouldn't surprise me if they dropped those games.

Screwball games will probably end up being New York and Tennessee if I had to pick them.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Some talking head on First Take had the 'hawks taking the division with 13-14 wins. I'll take them at 12-13, that seems reasonable.

This team shouldn't lose a single game this year, but in reality they will drop some games here and there (just not many and not by much). I think Pete and Co. know that they should win every game as well, know how special this team is, and want to do something historical (even if it only applies to Seattle and Seahawks fans).

CrimsonWazzu

Reaction score
GeekHawk":2fon3qwp said:

IMO....Far better to have a couple head-scratcher losses, knowing that we just clown-stomped the Niners and Saints.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
The Hawks have proven, at least to me, that they can beat any team in the league. But it's highly unlikely they will every game on the schedule. So with that in mind I can't predict how many they may lose or to which teams they will lose. I will only say they will win the majority and be in the playoffs. Yeah, I'm pretty much stickin' with that.

Treefiddy

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":gthvmsjt said:
Don't look any further than the first week for a surprise possible L. On the road in the heat and humidity, 10 am Pacific time in Carolina...
This game scares me, looking ahead to SF, not clicking on offense yet, etc.... I could see us anywhere from 7-9 to 16-0. Honestly a well placed and timed injury to a major playmaker and a rough schedule could hurt.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
GeekHawk":35hf2iyb said:
Thank goodness there are always a couple games we should lose that we win. So it all evens out in the end with that in mind 12-4 sounds right to me. I figure we will surprise in a couple of those road games (Houston and Indianapolis being the obvious with Arizona or the Rams being the a good chance also being primetime games).

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Until we get consistent on the road, can't assume anything. Most of our tough games are on the road as well.

sutz

Reaction score
Well.....we have shown a tendency to start slow anyway. I suspect it is at least partly by design. Pete's a notorious "It ain't how you start, it's how you finish" kind of guy, so I would not be surprised if we start that initial stretch 2-2 or even, god forbid 1-3, especially considering the injury/suspension situation with some key guys. This team has shown a lot of heart, though, so the opposite could be true. But figure Pete to save something for a post-Thanksgiving run. You can't win the season in September anyway, though they could lose it, so to speak.

Regardless, on the note of having a lot of heart, I expect this team to hold together for 16 games and come out looking pretty good in the playoff picture. A Div champ run is well within their grasp, and a SB is just a jump up from there. I hate to admit it, but SF has been pretty good the last couple of years, so we have our work cut out for us.

GO HAWKS!!!

bobk3333

Reaction score
That is not cocky in the least bit. It's okay to be confident. It's okay to believe in this team.

Why are so many people so afraid to show confidence in this great team? I think it is because Seattle sports fans have had such bad teams in general and have been burned by the few good teams we've had. The sports scene here has been so incredibly bad that many people are incapable of seeing a great team right in front of their noses.

To be honest, I can't stand these people. I understand the causes of their negativity, but it doesn't mean I have to like their negativity. I do not consider these pessimists to be real Seahawks fans. They should keep their negative opinions to themselves.

The people who are predicting an 11-win or even a 12-win season for the Seahawks are ludicrous. To think that this team is going to have the same number of wins or just one win better compared to last year means they are not paying attention or they are too negative or they are just plain stupid. The team at the start of this season will be light years ahead of the team at the start of last season and will likely be significantly better than the team at the end of last season, which was great.

The people who are too scared to say the obvious – that this is a great, great team – are hurting the team. When there are so many players, coaches, and fans who believe with all their hearts in this team, there's no room for the negative losers and their disruption. These people who are too timid to take a chance and publicly declare how good this team is should not be allowed to be part of the celebration later on.

Confidence is different from cocky. Many of the great dynasties from the past – Cleveland Browns, Green Bay Packers, Pittsburgh Steelers, S.F. 49ers, and even the New England Patriots – were confident in great (not just mediocre) success before each season. There was an aura of confidence and success around the undefeated 1972 Miami Dolphins team before that season. There weren't *any* negative fans like we seem to have around here. Many people thought they were going to be undefeated. It's hard to do something unless you believe you can do it.

Seahawks fans need to open their eyes and acknowledge what is right in front of them. Great things are about to happen. We need to believe in this team. We need to believe that this team will do great things.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
In regards to what the OP listed as 'dangerous' games I would add Tampa and Indy over our home 49er game. Both are quality teams and both games occur in dangerous spots, scheduling wise, IMO.

But I expect 12 wins from the team we have here.

No excuses.

I will be looking for an average of 3-1 for each of the four quarters of our schedule.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
By the way, I have come around to the belief we are going to pisspound the panthers as a way of announcing to the league that the hype is only a whisper of what's in store.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
bobk3333":pgyo1pd1 said:
To be honest, I can't stand these people. I understand the causes of their negativity, but it doesn't mean I have to like their negativity. I do not consider these pessimists to be real Seahawks fans. They should keep their negative opinions to themselves.

The people who are predicting an 11-win or even a 12-win season for the Seahawks are ludicrous. To think that this team is going to have the same number of wins or just one win better compared to last year means they are not paying attention or they are too negative or they are just plain stupid. The team at the start of this season will be light years ahead of the team at the start of last season and will likely be significantly better than the team at the end of last season, which was great..

I understand your overall sentiment, but in an extremely tough division and Conference and with a very tough schedule, it's not ludicrous to expect a few losses. I'd personally be SHOCKED if we win more than 12 games; that doesn't make me negative or afraid to embrace greatness, it's just accouting for the fact that in today's NFL parity is the name of the game.

The number of wins we had last season doesn't matter - a lot of fans make the mistake of thinking one season connects to the next season, in a vacuum...which it doesn't. It all starts anew. Just because we have a stronger roster doesn't add wins this season, because it's a different schedule, there are improved teams we are playing, etc.

This is part of my concern about a huge letdown this season, with fans all of a sudden "expecting" 15-1 and walking into the Super Bowl (not saying that is your stance). We have a lot to prove and we have a pretty tough schedule, including FIVE early start East Coast road games (thanks, NFL), three of which are against 2012 playoff teams.

That said, we are going to the Super Bowl regardless of our regular season record. :th2thumbs:

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It certainly is optimistic.

It would be great for things to happen, but there are a few concerns.

One, we seemed to have an issue with the pass rush last year. That was WITH a healthy Clemons, who was a beast.
This was even more clear after Clemons went down. I understand that Clemons is supposedly healthy but if he isn't that is an area we had better hope we fixed. Realistically, we brought in some new guys that will hopefully address this issue but we don't honestly know how they are going to fit and how they are going to perform.

Two, we changed DCs. Under normal circumstances this is a problem, just because guys take time to learn new systems and the people in charge take some time to learn to work with what they have. However, this is a bigger problem because we did have a pretty solid D last year in spite of the pass rush issues. One thing our former DC seemed to do well is put together a defense that was able to somehow perform well even with a less than terrifying rush. You can of course argue that part of the reason our rush was effective as it was and part of the reason our defense was as solid without the great pass rush was the great play of the secondary. So assuming this is still the same maybe it isn't an issue.

But usually new coordinators and new players require some time to fit in so we could easily lose a few games we shouldn't even as the "better" team.

Now some people want to say that it is all Pete and that all the late game losses were someone else. But you cannot heap all the credit for the good on one guy and lump all the blame for the bad on another. Either way, those two issues make me wonder if we might have a few hiccups at the start of the season before our guys cement themselves in their roles.

What matters more is how we are playing around the time we hit the playoffs (if we hit them) but I think it is OK to be really excited about the team while still being realistic about a few concerns.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Every NFL team theoretically got better during the off season (except the Raiders). But if we aren't 12-4 or better last year, it'll be pretty disappointing to me. However, I don't think there's a chance in hell we miss the playoffs.

bobk3333

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1n64nix3 said:
I understand your overall sentiment, but in an extremely tough division and Conference and with a very tough schedule, it's not ludicrous to expect a few losses. I'd personally be SHOCKED if we win more than 12 games; that doesn't make me negative or afraid to embrace greatness, it's just accouting for the fact that in today's NFL parity is the name of the game.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. To me, this is cowardice. It is closedmindedness. It is pessimism. It is fear.

There's no reason the Seahawks *have* to lose anything.

Again, it's hard to impossible to do anything unless you believe you can do it.

I am sick and tired of these people.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
bobk3333":1pgbyif4 said:
FlyingGreg":1pgbyif4 said:

This is exactly what I'm talking about. To me, this is cowardice. It is closedmindedness. It is pessimism. It is fear.

There's no reason the Seahawks *have* to lose anything.

Again, it's hard to impossible to do anything unless you believe you can do it.

I am sick and tired of these people.

Greg is a negative nancy and you haven't been here long enough to get tired of him.