Will Pete be fired?

Will Pete Caroll be fired before the start of next season?

• Yes

Votes: 8 8.4%
  • No

Votes: 87 91.6%

• Total voters
W

Welshers

If they don't turn it around this year, will Pete Carroll be fired? I am asking what people think objectively, with emotion out of it. I know everyone wants him fired but he kind of runs the team and I don't know if Jody Allen cares. My guess is no.

I am the last person to ever be a doomer and I have supported Pete through everything, but I see could see a 4-13, or 5-12. Don't quote me because I think they can still turn it around, but it's a possibility. If this happens, do you think they will fire Pete?

NJlargent

Reaction score
No we will suffer for a few seasons and then he will retire. Hopefully the damage is not too great.

Chapow

Reaction score
Since I was just posting about this situation yesterday in another thread, I'm just going to copy and paste what I wrote there.

Does anyone really know how involved Jody Allen is? Because it sure seems like Pete Carroll is running the show, and I mean the whole show, not just coaching the team. Pete Carroll is the head coach and the executive vice president of football operations. It is my understanding that he is effectively the general manager and has the final say in all football matters. I could be wrong, but I don't believe Pete answers to anyone other than the owner (J.A.). He was also just given a contract extension less than a year ago so it would seem that Jody Allen is perfectly content with the direction of the team.

So, no. I don't think Pete will be fired before next season because I don't think anyone but Jody Allen has the authority to fire Pete and I don't think that one bad season is enough for her to go that route. It wouldn't just be replacing a head coach. It would be replacing the guy that essentially runs the whole franchise and is also the head coach.

mistaowen

Reaction score
There is no one who will fire him, even the GM reports to him. Pete is like Belichick except Kraft actually cares about the team unlike JA. Only way is if Jody sells the team soon (would take a long time for dust to settle), Pete decides to retire, or takes one last ride at USC.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Chapow":bz3an8bu said:
Since I was just posting about this situation yesterday in another thread, I'm just going to copy and paste what I wrote there.

Does anyone really know how involved Jody Allen is? Because it sure seems like Pete Carroll is running the show, and I mean the whole show, not just coaching the team. Pete Carroll is the head coach and the executive vice president of football operations. It is my understanding that he is effectively the general manager and has the final say in all football matters. I could be wrong, but I don't believe Pete answers to anyone other than the owner (J.A.). He was also just given a contract extension less than a year ago so it would seem that Jody Allen is perfectly content with the direction of the team.

So, no. I don't think Pete will be fired before next season because I don't think anyone but Jody Allen has the authority to fire Pete and I don't think that one bad season is enough for her to go that route. It wouldn't just be replacing a head coach. It would be replacing the guy that essentially runs the whole franchise and is also the head coach.

First thing Jody did after Paul died was give both Pete and John extensions.

That tells you right there that she's perfectly fine with them running the organization, and trusting Pete.

As much as most of us think it's time for a new coach, no one other than maybe Belichick has more organizational power than Pete in the entire league.

So if people think Pete's going to get fired, I'd sure like them to explain who's going to start that ball rolling, and why they think a hands off owner like Jody Allen is going to give her OK on that. Seems HIGHLY unlikely.

IMO nothing short of Russell forcing himself out of Seattle and multiple 5-6 win seasons in a row would create that type of situation where Jody would fire Pete.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
He wont be fired under the current ownership. We'll be forced to deal with him until his contract is up or he hangs it up. He'll leave the team in shatters too and thats a shame.

John63

Reaction score
He should be but will not be because we have an absentee owener.

nutluck

Reaction score
The only way I see him getting fired is if the Seahawks players just give up and it is obvious they don't want to play for him as a HC.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Option A: Pete finishes the year. We likely have a losing record. He gets his gold watch and celebrated. He can use RWs injury to defect a bad season. A new coach comes in, likely has a down first season then hopefully up from there. Two poor seasons

Option B: Pete holds on for two years. Has a poor record both years. Finally gets pressured out by end of next season. Less celebratory. Less dignity. No victory tour because losing isn’t much of a tour. Then, team further demolished and likely without RW gets a new coach that has at least one bad season but likely two. Four poor seasons.

That’s how I see the two roads.

chris98251

Reaction score
Show me where anyone has seen that Jody has said she does not care about the team, show me where she has no interest and blindly trusts Pete and John, Show me where here administration and oversight people from Vulcan don't care. Show a Link, Show a transcript or shut up. These are all speculations None of us know, she is a football fan just as much as Paul was.

Remember Paul had to be ask to recue the Seahawks, then he wanted to make sure he had the support from the Fans and the Local and State to do what he did.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
chris98251":28obr5l8 said:
Show me where anyone has seen that Jody has said she does not care about the team, show me where she has no interest and blindly trusts Pete and John, Show me where here administration and oversight people from Vulcan don't care. Show a Link, Show a transcript or shut up. These are all speculations None of us know, she is a football fan just as much as Paul was.

Remember Paul had to be ask to recue the Seahawks, then he wanted to make sure he had the support from the Fans and the Local and State to do what he did.

Why do you keep defending her? Show us where or when she has shown her face or even talked about the team. She's a recluse that gave ultimate power to the head coach so she wouldnt have to be bothered. It is what it is.

chris98251

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1pkkv4yp said:
chris98251":1pkkv4yp said:

Why do you keep defending her? Show us where or when she has shown her face or even talked about the team. She's a recluse that gave ultimate power to the head coach so she wouldnt have to be bothered. It is what it is.

You don't have to be Jerry Jones, Paul was very low key and didn't even go to league and owner meetings for like the first 5 years and kept in the background, give it up with the bashing and looking for a subject to hang lynch mob style.

Really it comes down to you can't prove anything you and others are assuming period.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":2byxm6x2 said:

If you think Jody's just as big of a football fan as Paul was, then you're speculating just as much as the rest of us.

Please provide us proof of that, because before Paul died, no one even knew Jody Allen existed, let alone was some huge sports fan.

It's true Paul leaned on Jody for council while considering purchasing the Hawks and building Century Link back in the day, but that's about it.

But you're right, we're all speculating.........and like I said all we can go on is what she's done so far as owner, and that's give John and Pete big fat long term extensions, and you sure as hell don't give a head coach a fat extension if you're even remotely hesitant about him leading your team for the foreseeable future.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2b1ayz1v said:
chris98251":2b1ayz1v said:

If you think Jody's just as big of a football fan as Paul was, then you're speculating just as much as the rest of us.

Please provide us proof of that, because before Paul died, no one even knew Jody Allen existed, let alone was some huge sports fan.

It's true Paul leaned on Jody for council while considering purchasing the Hawks and building Century Link back in the day, but that's about it.

But you're right, we're all speculating.........and like I said all we can go on is what she's done so far as owner, and that's give John and Pete big fat long term extensions, and you sure as hell don't give a head coach a fat extension if you're even remotely hesitant about him leading your team for the foreseeable future.

You missed the story about her background with Paul I take it, they had seats at Husky Stadium and used to go watch games there together, they both were fans of football, Pauls passion was basketball first however.

Also based on the history I can see that wanting stability and his track record Pete got that trust and nod from Jody to continue.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":4f5sqhp5 said:
Also based on the history I can see that wanting stability and his track record Pete got that trust and nod from Jody to continue.

That still brings us to our speculative opinion that Jody trusts Pete to run the franchise for at least the next 4-5 years, and would probably never fire him unless the wheels came completely off.

Just because she may have enjoyed going to Husky games 40 years ago doesn't mean she's a huge football fan now, and more importantly has the stomach and acumen to make a decision like firing her head coach two years into his extension.

So speculate in any direction you want, we're still all arriving at the same conclusion.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
chris98251":29xopxoq said:
pittpnthrs":29xopxoq said:
chris98251":29xopxoq said:

You don't have to be Jerry Jones, Paul was very low key and didn't even go to league and owner meetings for like the first 5 years and kept in the background, give it up with the bashing and looking for a subject to hang lynch mob style.

Really it comes down to you can't prove anything you and others are assuming period.
Paul Allen may have not been Jerry Jones -- but he was a good businessman. He surrounded himself with good football people and made decisive decisions when needed. Every year he had meetings with his coaches to see the direction of the team. Allen was in the background but he wasn't passive. He was not afraid to take decisive action when needed.

When he saw Holmgren's struggled as GM, he stripped GM authority away from him. Allen intervened quickly on the Mora and Ruskell regime and cleaned house. Allen was passive but he was also not afraid to take decisive action when need be. He had a good sense of when to let things proceed as on their own and when to intervene. I don't think Jody Allen has that instinct, in fact very few owners do.

What gives me pause is that 5 year extension she gave Pete Carroll at his age of 69. I'm not feeling to good about Jody Allen thus far.

LTH

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":20gy7u2r said:
Chapow":20gy7u2r said:

First thing Jody did after Paul died was give both Pete and John extensions.

That tells you right there that she's perfectly fine with them running the organization, and trusting Pete.

As much as most of us think it's time for a new coach, no one other than maybe Belichick has more organizational power than Pete in the entire league.

So if people think Pete's going to get fired, I'd sure like them to explain who's going to start that ball rolling, and why they think a hands off owner like Jody Allen is going to give her OK on that. Seems HIGHLY unlikely.

IMO nothing short of Russell forcing himself out of Seattle and multiple 5-6 win seasons in a row would create that type of situation where Jody would fire Pete.

Pete is not going to be fired for many reasons some of which you have stated. But there is a growing hatred towards Pete from fans and media of witch I do not understand... he is a football coach who has done so much for the NFL and this community... How important is winning a football game anyway? To Pete its really important because it his livelihood but to us the fans its just a game and should not garner hate towards a coach who merely coaches football...

although sometimes I think because he encourages his players to take political stances, encourages his players to be involved in the community it could set him up among those who dislike the impact Carroll and his players are having in the community... sometimes I wonder if there is resentment among certain groups or classes that could cause a negative impact towards Pete Carroll...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
LTH":9rj66269 said:
Pete is not going to be fired for many reasons some of which you have stated. But there is a growing hatred towards Pete from fans and media of witch I do not understand... he is a football coach who has done so much for the NFL and this community... How important is winning a football game anyway? To Pete its really important because it his livelihood but to us the fans its just a game and should not garner hate towards a coach who merely coaches football...

although sometimes I think because he encourages his players to take political stances, encourages his players to be involved in the community it could set him up among those who dislike the impact Carroll and his players are having in the community... sometimes I wonder if there is resentment among certain groups or classes that could cause a negative impact towards Pete Carroll...

Shouldn't be that big of a mystery about the Pete hate.

IMO he's never recovered from the fan and public relations side of things after the SB interception. Then it transferred over to what we see on here every day, he's holding back Russell and this team.

This will all continue to be amplified and compounded with each and every disappointing season, of which we've had what 7-8 since the SB's?

I love Pete, I love what he did here. But that's past tense. I do not wish him ill, I do not hate him. But I do think the game has passed him by and he needs to go. Even if I agreed with his coaching philosophies, NO ONE can defend his terrible personnel and drafting decisions since 2013.

10 straight average to poor drafts and some monumental bad trades, the latest of which will probably go down as the worst in franchise history.