Why is a lineman downfield a penalty?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Because it is the rule.

AND YOU HAVE TO CALL IT Because defenders are taught to read it. When you see linemen are past the LOS, you know they cannot pass. So the QB has no choice but to run.

It lets you as the defender know you can come up to stop the QB because they cannot pass. You really are advocating to ignore another rule to benefit the offense at the expense of the defense?
This is ridiculous. When you are not the home team, you need to be aware that you will get less calls. And the grey areas will fall under more scrutiny.
Whether they call it or not, they CAN call it and SHOULD. So you, as the visiting team, should be aware and not put yourself in that situation. it is a stupid thing to do and frankly, is a risk with little benefit. So why do it?

Frozenropers

Reaction score
What am I missing here….
If an extra lineman checks in as an eligible receiver then he can go downfield before the pass is thrown. If the linemen are not eligible receivers, then they are supposed to remain behind the 1 yard downfield marker until,the pass is thrown.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Because it is the rule.

AND YOU HAVE TO CALL IT Because defenders are taught to read it. When you see linemen are past the LOS, you know they cannot pass. So the QB has no choice but to run.

It lets you as the defender know you can come up to stop the QB because they cannot pass. You really are advocating to ignore another rule to benefit the offense at the expense of the defense?
This is ridiculous. When you are not the home team, you need to be aware that you will get less calls. And the grey areas will fall under more scrutiny.
Whether they call it or not, they CAN call it and SHOULD. So you, as the visiting team, should be aware and not put yourself in that situation. it is a stupid thing to do and frankly, is a risk with little benefit. So why do it?

Missing the nuance here Twisted.

Since the play gets little if any advantage to the offense, and since only the most egregious of violations are ever called, its natural to wonder why not 1, not 2, but 3!!! barely 2 yds downfield calls were made in a span of less than a quarter of a game where, up unitl that point, they were letting things go

Also, DONT YOU HAVE TO CALL PI when receivers are bear hugged 15 yds downfield?

I mean, if we are being black and white here....

Frozenropers

Reaction score
The real question is why is a lineman running downfield on a pass play?
i think it was more “drifting” as he was looking for someone to block. It didn’t look like the 49ers lined anyone up over Lewis on those plays and he drifted farther than he should have. Both were quick passes too so he didn’t have time to get very far, ironically.

NoGain

Reaction score
At least two of them were ticky-tack calls for a playoff game. Had no positive bearing on the play, and were barely penalties, if that. Sometimes it's just better to keep the flag in your pocket.

HawkFreak

Reaction score
If an extra lineman checks in as an eligible receiver then he can go downfield before the pass is thrown. If the linemen are not eligible receivers, then they are supposed to remain behind the 1 yard downfield marker until,the pass is thrown.
How many linemen can check in as eligible on a play? Is there a limit?

Frozenropers

Reaction score
How many linemen can check in as eligible on a play? Is there a limit?
Good question. Typically you only see 1 (that is above and beyond the normal lineman positions that are filled) but I’m not sure I’ve seen or cared to check if a team could replace all tight ends and receivers on a play with extra lineman, as long as they report properly as eligible receivers. So no idea if there is actually a limit to how many extra lineman can report as eligible receivers on a play.

OP
OP
S

StoneCold

Reaction score
but why is it a penalty at all? I don't see the reason.

Simphawks

Reaction score
but why is it a penalty at all? I don't see the reason.
Because at one point, they decided to make it a rule. Move on, bro. It’s not that serious. Write a strongly worded letter to your congressman, nfl commissioner, etc. The fact is, it’s a rule and it was broken hence it was called.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Because at one point, they decided to make it a rule. Move on, bro. It’s not that serious. Write a strongly worded letter to your congressman, nfl commissioner, etc. The fact is, it’s a rule and it was broken hence it was called.

How dare he get clarification on a football rule on a football board from an incredibly consequential call from a playoff game.

The nerve.....

nwHawk

Reaction score
What really interests me is why Lewis didn’t “think” to pay attention when they called he the second time. Unbelievable. I was having an Ifedi flashback!

Hawkpower

Reaction score
What really interests me is why Lewis didn’t “think” to pay attention when they called he the second time. Unbelievable. I was having an Ifedi flashback!

Probably had a hard believing a ref would be that petty twice

Now the 3rd time, he should have realized the ref was out to send a message, etc

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Dumb rule, NFL rulebook needs to be streamlined and only obvious calls should be made.

NFL definitely “steers” games toward the legacy teams. Bigger fanbases = more playoff/super bowl swag sold. It’s simple economics,

That being said Hawks made way too many mistakes against a superior opponent that would have won regardless.

Not that the NFL cares but I’m just about done with them.

I’m so glad the Kraken/NHL arrived in Seattle, and are kicking butt.