Why do I get the feeling...

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It didn't help that our LOB was a virtual M*A*S*H unit in XLIX, with Avril out, Lane's replacement (I think I could have been as effective)...The Patriots did the right thing and took advantage of our weakened D, especially in the second half, and there goes our 10 point lead into the 4th. But yes, the narrative will always be that Russ threw the pick instead of checking out of the play or handing off to Lynch, sealing our fate as back-to-back champions.

Ironically, THAT, may end up being a very large part of "The Legacy" Russell is remembered for.

toffee

Reaction score
It didn't help that our LOB was a virtual M*A*S*H unit in XLIX, with Avril out, Lane's replacement (I think I could have been as effective)...The Patriots did the right thing and took advantage of our weakened D, especially in the second half, and there goes our 10 point lead into the 4th. But yes, the narrative will always be that Russ threw the pick instead of checking out of the play or handing off to Lynch, sealing our fate as back-to-back champions.

Ironically, THAT, may end up being a very large part of "The Legacy" Russell is remembered for.
What was obvious? The INT, and the defense couldn't protect the 10 points lead due to injuries. What's behind the obvious? Pete found the need to appease Russ, so he could be the super-bowl MVP with a TD throw seconds on the clock. The dysfunction relationship between Pete and Russ eventually brought down the dynasty.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
The dysfunction relationship between Pete and Russ eventually brought down the dynasty.
And the LOB couldn't stop reading their press clippings... especially Earl and Sherm, and Kam to a degree. Earl and Kam wanted a bigger piece of the pie.

Chawker

Reaction score
Russ was a drama queen, he wantted MVP's more than he wanted to win championships, it to bad he never won one in Seattle, but I do wish him luck in Denver.

Cheers

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
After damn near 10 years of never missing a single snap, AND putting up the numbers Russ did, I find it hard to fault the guy for damn near anything on game day. And since he never slapped his chick, drove drunk, or a plethora of other shit, very little of his off the field stuff is even remotely relevant to me.

Go Hawks!

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
HG has a good point.
Remember that year that Wilson played the entire year in something like a walking boot? His entire ankle almost had an aircast around it and somehow took us to the playoffs without a viable healthy RB.

Say what you want about the guy, but on field he brought WAY more to the table than anyone had the right to expect. And in terms of things he was not good at? He more than made up for them.

He was probably a piece of work, but so what?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I respectfully disagree. I blame the front office more than Wilson for not returning to the Superbowl. Had they drafted better and not done the Graham and Adams trades, Wilson could've got the Hawks back in the big game
Russ wanted Graham and couldn't even pass to him right.
Russ had value when he had legs to create a play that
was trashed because he bailed early.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Russ wanted Graham and couldn't even pass to him right.
Russ had value when he had legs to create a play that
was trashed because he bailed early.
It wasn't an issue of not "passing to him right" more so it was how he was being poorly utilized.
The coaching staff, Cable and Bevell, wanted to use him as a blocker because their heads were so far up their you-know-whats rather than a vertical receiving threat.

Finally his final season here he had over 1,000 receiving yards and broke the franchise record for tight ends. They should have been using him that way from day 1.

Regardless though, losing Unger was detrimental for pass protection. I couldn't image any QB thriving behind that O line.

Last edited:

BASF

Reaction score
What was obvious? The INT, and the defense couldn't protect the 10 points lead due to injuries. What's behind the obvious? Pete found the need to appease Russ, so he could be the super-bowl MVP with a TD throw seconds on the clock. The dysfunction relationship between Pete and Russ eventually brought down the dynasty.
What is behind the obvious is that the Patriots intentionally injured Avril during our INT return. That is what spelled doom for the Seahawks.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I love how most who want to absolve the team simple say that RW didn’t want to be here without going into WHY he didn’t want to be here. I’m not sad he’s gone but I would have picked RW over PC 10 times out of 10 this offseason. 7 years of complete post season futility isn’t 100% on RW. If I had to divide up responsibility I’d say it’s 80/20 PC/RW

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Will not miss a me first player. Russ, is a one trick pony who has been figured out which is why he has never won an MVP.

Every year here in Seattle, Russ, starts to be really inefficient around Week 12.

NFL teams has a very basic defense able to stop Wilson, if you have a good secondary, play Wilson with Cover 2-3-4 and he cannot launch successful deep shots anymore.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
Russ will bring Denver a bowl and bring glory to two nfl franchises when it’s all said and done. Pete will have single handedly burned our franchise to the ground just in time for it to be sold. The Wilson derangement syndrome is strong here
Someone here is certainly deranged.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
I was the original Russ supporter on this site. Proud to say I was banned by mods for saying he would finish his career as the best QB the hawks ever had. It was time to move on.

Threedee

Reaction score
On the previous play, the ball was handed off to Lynch, and he almost got it to the house. Doesn't that sort of dispell the stories about trying to screw Lynch out of the MVP and/or build Wilson into one?

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
When I created this thread with the funny meme it was never my intent to start digging deep into the psychological nightmare which is our sore feelings about XLIX, or the hyperfocus on all of his perceived imperfections. Yet, I should have known better.