Votes: 23 24.0%
  • Kam Chancellor

Votes: 63 65.6%
  • Other/I don't understand

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters

cymatica

Reaction score
It was Earl and it wasn't close. Earl covering up the back end allowed Kam to play around the LOS more and do his thing.

Earl doesn't get the love because how everything ended but he was so good.

Sherm was second in my book.
Yep Earl was the key that took them to the next level. If you're talking about the attitude that made it the LOB, it started with Browner and Kam took it over

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Yep, Earl Thomas was the linchpin to the entire LOB secondary, without Thomas there is no LOB.

Earl Thomas was a fast, rangy safety with killer instincts. His skillset and athleticism allowed the LOB to play an aggressive style of football with virtually no drawback. Squaring up right in receivers face and aggressively pressing them at the LOB, especially with bigger, slower DB's like Kam and Browner couldn't happen without Thomas in the backfield. Chancellor in particular was able to function almost as a 4th linebacker at the LOS due to Thomas's instincts and range.

Even if one of our DB's whiffed when they tried pressing people at the LOS, Thomas would be there over the top to break up the pass. I surmise this is why Browner could stick on an NFL roster and struggled after he left the Seahawks. He was a bigger, slower DB with stiff hips -- which is why he ended up in the CFL before we signed him. What he was though is physical and adept at mauling receivers at the LOS and getting away with it. I don't think he would have worked well with most NFL teams.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It depends. Earl was the piece that made it work. But Kam was the keystone. And likely Browner was the origin (with Kam).

When Kam sat out, that defense struggled and we lost those games. Without Kam, you don't win with it. Without Earl, what made the LOB so impossible to pass against vanishes.

The whole 'the whole is greater than the sum of its parts' thing applies. You needed all of them.

(I've always contended that Browner was key too. We probably win that 2nd SB with him on the team. Big BIG BIG mistake to let him go, I don't care if he killed Carroll's dog. Pete should have never let him go.)

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Squaring up right in receivers face and aggressively pressing them at the LOB, especially with bigger, slower DB's like Kam and Browner couldn't happen without Thomas in the backfield. Chancellor in particular was able to function almost as a 4th linebacker at the LOS due to Thomas's instincts and range.

Even if one of our DB's whiffed when they tried pressing people at the LOS, Thomas would be there over the top to break up the pass. I surmise this is why Browner could stick on an NFL roster and struggled after he left the Seahawks. He was a bigger, slower DB with stiff hips -- which is why he ended up in the CFL before we signed him. What he was though is physical and adept at mauling receivers at the LOS and getting away with it. I don't think he would have worked well with most NFL teams.
Gotta disagree with you a little bit. Browner may have been stiff, and perhaps not terribly quick, but he was fast.

Last edited:

xray

Reaction score
Kam for sure . He reminds me a little like Kenny Easley only meaner . ; )

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Kam was the Cement, the enforcer year in and year out and the leader by work ethic, Sherman and the rest worked hard also, but Kam kept everyone on the same page and was getting them all in on Film study and holding everyone accountable, that was in the DB room, Bobby, Cliff, Red etc, that whole group was like a Laminated beam, got stronger layer by layer.

Not that it really matters. I mean, honestly, how long can we live in 2013 for?!?!

We've got a brand new regime. Let's stop wallowing in the past and kick some ass TODAY and THIS YEAR.

silvergun

Reaction score
I don’t know if he was the most important member but Chancellor is my favorite Seahawk of all time so I’m going with that dude regardles.

halps80

Reaction score
Fact is they were like the Beatles. Pick your favorite, but what made it magical was the way they meshed (as their uneven solo careers perfectly demonstrated)

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I can't vote on this, it's too tough. Browner for starting it, tie between Sherman and Kam for maintaining it. Maybe the edge goes to Sherm for mouthing off so much in beautiful glorious ways and pissing off so many non-Seahawks fans to really help bring some extra notoriety to the table, though?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
It was Earl and it wasn't close. Earl covering up the back end allowed Kam to play around the LOS more and do his thing.

Agree with almost everything you posted. I think it's Earl and Kam 1A and 1B then Sherm and the rest.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I voted Browner, He was a straight up thug
I agree. He was the initial instigator and had that extra chip on his shoulder that really created the LOB mentality. Without him it would have still been an historic group, but I don't think it would have been the LOB. That was my vote.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Perhaps not the most vital, but the most underrated part of that defense, was the front seven / dline, which often put teams in 3rd and long, obvious passing situations which made the secondaries' job much easier.

Last edited:

Boycie

Reaction score

This^ I love Kam, but Earl could cover sideline to sideline and was quick to the ball. Kam was the tone setter. Receivers grew alligator arms after he hit them.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
They were all cogs in a machine that complemented each other well and stepped up at various different games. ET- Rams game with the karate chop, Chancellor Super bowl 48, Sherman NFC Championship, Browner at various points.