Which season would you rather see?

What type of season would you rather see?

• Start all the young talent possible. Collect all the data. No way we win the SB anyways.

Votes: 17 34.7%
  • Start the current best player. Regardless of potential/rookie status/contract status.

Votes: 32 65.3%

• Total voters
OP
OP
bbsplitter

bbsplitter

Reaction score
I don't care who the quote came from. It's true. The game is played to win, and you play to win the game.

Deliberate failure is not an option in a league that relies heavily on team chemistry and culture.

Winning teams win, losing teams lose. Your "intelligent positioning" strategy rarely works out, because bad teams have bad cultures and bad teams tend to stay bad.

You put together the squad, and then you go and try to win every single one of the games.

Anything else IS cowardice, and will be perceived as such by the players who just wasted a year of their finite careers, as well as the coaches who just took shots to their reputations and job security.

Resting for the playoffs is a luxury gained by trying like hell to win every single game before that. Completely invalid example that has nothing to do with what's being talked about.
I don’t really know where you are getting the “deliberately failing” or tanking or losing on purpose from anywhere in my post.

I am basically saying that I don’t trust Pete to pull the trigger early enough on starting younger talent that needs to get through their growing pains, because no matter how talented they are, they will make inexperienced mistakes. And IMO, it is far smarter to have those come this year, instead of next year in the midst of probably being able to actually compete.

I agree with you that we always want to win. But if your team has ZERO chance of winning against the Mahomes and elite teams to take him the Super Bowl, by your own logic going one in done in the playoffs puts us no further ahead then losing 2 more games because some rookies made some mistakes. You still failed to bring home a super bowl. Except your chances of winning next year greatly increase if your rookie got a lot of reps that would otherwise gone to a vet who walks at the end of the year.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I don’t really know where you are getting the “deliberately failing” or tanking or losing on purpose from anywhere in my post.

I am basically saying that I don’t trust Pete to pull the trigger early enough on starting younger talent that needs to get through their growing pains, because no matter how talented they are, they will make inexperienced mistakes. And IMO, it is far smarter to have those come this year, instead of next year in the midst of probably being able to actually compete.

I agree with you that we always want to win. But if your team has ZERO chance of winning against the Mahomes and elite teams to take him the Super Bowl, by your own logic going one in done in the playoffs puts us no further ahead then losing 2 more games because some rookies made some mistakes. You still failed to bring home a super bowl. Except your chances of winning next year greatly increase if your rookie got a lot of reps that would otherwise gone to a vet who walks at the end of the year.
This was moreso directed at Twisted's statement that trying to win during this season would be negative for the outlook of the team.

I think the option of going young, as phrased in your poll, is a totally valid option. That's a question of roster-building rather than actually going and not trying to win.

sc85sis

Reaction score

According to Brock, it was Norton, not Pete, who didn’t like starting younger players. It’s on Pete for not overruling Ken, but contrary to popular opinion, Pete is not the maniacal meddler some here have made him out to be.

Brock’s take is consistent with Pete’s history since the USC days. He said that being willing to give young guys a chance was part of why he had success. And he certainly gave young players opportunities previously in Seattle - Baldwin, Sherman, Kam, Earl, Okung and others are evidence of that.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I want to compete to win super bowls. I don't think pretending that this year's team can do that moves the needle. The focus should be development.

But, I think these things can be balanced while developing younger players. The best example I'm aware of would be how Kam sat for a year under a verrrrrry experienced, high-IQ veteran in Lawyer Milloy.

WmHBonney

Reaction score

You always have a chance to win. There are usually multiple upsets every week. You don't ask grown men to put their bodies and careers on the line every play if you're not trying to win. Players know who should be starting and who should be sitting. They see it every day in practice. You want to lose the locker room?

flv2

Reaction score
You play to win, until winning either isn't important or actually hurts you. If you're 4-9 there's nothing wrong with giving developmental players some opportunities. If it's the last game of the season and you have nothing at stake it's frustrating to see a HC playing the 'better veteran' ahead of a drafted player that needs the playing experience.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
You play to win, until winning either isn't important or actually hurts you. If you're 4-9 there's nothing wrong with giving developmental players some opportunities. If it's the last game of the season and you have nothing at stake it's frustrating to see a HC playing the 'better veteran' ahead of a drafted player that needs the playing experience.
As a fan, I'll never agree with that.

Like it's the last gig of the North American tour and for the Seattle show, Van Halen subs in Sammy Hagar on lead vocals 'cause you know, needs the singing experience blah blah, plus, we don't want David Lee blowing a nut for the upcoming Japan shows.

I say boooooo to you and your manager.

keasley45

Reaction score

I think one of issues Pete had with KN is him not starting younger talent. That's part of the reason he was let go. He may be more willing to do what needs to be done now. Between RW and KN... tough lessons

toffee

Reaction score
You always have a chance to win. There are usually multiple upsets every week. You don't ask grown men to put their bodies and careers on the line every play if you're not trying to win. Players know who should be starting and who should be sitting. They see it every day in practice. You want to lose the locker room?
This.