Which season would you rather see?

What type of season would you rather see?

• Start all the young talent possible. Collect all the data. No way we win the SB anyways.

Votes: 17 34.7%
  • Start the current best player. Regardless of potential/rookie status/contract status.

Votes: 32 65.3%

• Total voters

bbsplitter

Reaction score
I don't think this team is going to be anything special this year. I don't know many fans who are expecting us to win many games at all this year. With that being prefaced, what kind of year do you want to see from the Hawks?

One of my biggest complaints about PC in the past has been a very conservative approach to start new players/rookies to just see what they have in a game situation. He will talk up "his guys" for 3 years straight as "the next big thing", and some of them will even seem to do pretty well in limited action, but then they almost never see the field full time and then after their rookie contract they are out of here, or cut before that at sometime.

I know I might be alone in this, and yes I always want to watch the team win as many games as possible. But for this season specifically, I will almost be more disappointed if we start a slightly "better and more experienced" player for the season, only to win maybe one or two more games because of that, when we could have started younger talent and gotten them the experience/see what they got.

I am just afraid that we are going to start some entry level depth player we have instead of a Mafe or such young talent, and a clear rebuild/reload season that would have been the perfect opportunity to let that young talent get their bruises and reps would be wasted.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Wins are irrelevant this year, it’s all about development.

That said, can’t throw the rooks in unprepared. Hopefully the position coaches will be 100% focused on incremental exposure based on each player’s readiness.

Spohawks

Reaction score
Win at all costs. Watching the Hawks through the 80s and 90s, I am chalk full of ho-hum seasons at best and just ugly losing seasons at worst. Get a winning record, and take a shot in the playoffs is the only way.

Draft picks don't always work out, so giving up a couple of wins just to "try out" a few guys is a hard no for me.

Play to win baby!

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Some of the best motivation for rookies is to earn their right to play-time. They need to compete for every snap. Better players should play first, but rookies should snaps as well. It doesn't really need to be all or nothing.

Chuckwow

Reaction score
I'd rather see the 2013 season again. And again and again and....

If the young guy is genuinely talented, I'd play him over an aging vet. Regardless of who is perceived as better in that moment.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
There is a long preseason practice time and several pre-season games for coaching staff to evaluate the talent and decide the starting line- up.
Earn that spot from the coaches.

BASF

Reaction score
All In and Always Compete have been on the downhill ever since people in the building saw how Wilson had checked out and was given special treatment. His pathetic reaction to the staff kicking the tires on future Hall Of Fame quarterbacks signaled to the other players that those things were no longer valid. Playing rookies and younger players when the others are clearly better than them is essentially the same as saying, you don't need to compete. You don't have to be all in.

The young players have to earn their spot by actually beating out the starters.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Whatever option results in PC getting his sorry arse fired.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Win at all costs is stupid.

You can win the battle and lose the war.

Remember that game against the 49ers where if we lost we wouldn't face the Rams?
What did we do? We tried to win the effing game, won it, but screwed ourselves with the matchups AND we got an important player injured.

The goal for the football team is not and SHOULD NOT be to win every game. It should be to go furthest in the playoffs.

It is better to lose now and develop talent for the future. It is better to lose now and get better prospects to rebuild with.

One of the worst things you can do is bob around a little below .500. This is what happens when you try to win every game.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score

Remember that game against the 49ers where if we lost we wouldn't face the Rams?
What did we do? We tried to win the effing game, won it, but screwed ourselves with the matchups AND we got an important player injured.

The goal for the football team is not and SHOULD NOT be to win every game. It should be to go furthest in the playoffs.

It is better to lose now and develop talent for the future. It is better to lose now and get better prospects to rebuild with.

One of the worst things you can do is bob around a little below .500. This is what happens when you try to win every game.
Counterpoint: That's cowardice, and grown men who do this for a living don't respect it.

You play to win the game, and that's the end of that.

You go sub-.500 because you're trying to win every game? lol, what? How we got to the point where we're galaxy-braining ourselves into thinking not trying to win somehow leads to winning, I'll never know.

No one respects a candy-ass coach or a candy-ass franchise who deliberately loses. You build nothing whatsoever except for contempt on the roster and the organization and a slightly better draft pick. The turnover forced by the discontent neutralizes the draft capital anyway.

I'll say it again. You play to win the game. Anything else is an insult.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Losing begets losing. Going anything but nuts out on a football field will get you hurt and embarrassed.

Straight loser talk.
oh, no. sometimes you have to try to lose or else you won't get to the playoffs, or something.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
You know the 'play to win the game' quote came from a coach that got fired because he never went anywhere in the playoffs right?

You play the season to get the best possible matchups to go the farthest in the playoffs. WHICH IS THE GOAL OF THE SEASON. Winning the most games is NOT the goal of the season. So if you play to win the game, you have a goal that is not aligned with the actual objective your team is actually striving towards.

This is one reason that good teams often sit their starters when they have the playoffs locked up. So guys don't get injured. Because winning the game does not matter - advancing in the playoffs does.

Anyone that watches football knows this, and anyone that has played knows the goal is to win in the playoffs. (Otherwise, we would be celebrating the regular season record winner and not if the wildcard team wins the SB). But you can argue your ignorance, and call intelligent positioning cowardice because you cannot comprehend tactics & strategy. No worries. We won't judge you.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I don't think this team is going to be anything special this year. I don't know many fans who are expecting us to win many games at all this year. With that being prefaced, what kind of year do you want to see from the Hawks?

One of my biggest complaints about PC in the past has been a very conservative approach to start new players/rookies to just see what they have in a game situation. He will talk up "his guys" for 3 years straight as "the next big thing", and some of them will even seem to do pretty well in limited action, but then they almost never see the field full time and then after their rookie contract they are out of here, or cut before that at sometime.

I know I might be alone in this, and yes I always want to watch the team win as many games as possible. But for this season specifically, I will almost be more disappointed if we start a slightly "better and more experienced" player for the season, only to win maybe one or two more games because of that, when we could have started younger talent and gotten them the experience/see what they got.

I am just afraid that we are going to start some entry level depth player we have instead of a Mafe or such young talent, and a clear rebuild/reload season that would have been the perfect opportunity to let that young talent get their bruises and reps would be wasted.
Talking up his Rooks is called confidence building.
I get where your coming from, but, your better players also need the reps to get better.
What WE want to see isn't always what Pete NEEDS to see (evals.)...Why hold back & maybe stymie the growth of your better players?
IF Mafe outshines the competition, I believe Pete will find a way to get him the play-time Reps.
I too am anxious to see what Mafe has, & with the New 3-4 Defense, we might be seeing him sooner rather than later.
Pete & John signed Flynn to a 10 mil. contract, and then started RW.

scutterhawk

Reaction score

Yeh, Flunk now & avoid the rush to the exits. LOLOLOL

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
You know the 'play to win the game' quote came from a coach that got fired because he never went anywhere in the playoffs right?

You play the season to get the best possible matchups to go the farthest in the playoffs. WHICH IS THE GOAL OF THE SEASON. Winning the most games is NOT the goal of the season. So if you play to win the game, you have a goal that is not aligned with the actual objective your team is actually striving towards.

This is one reason that good teams often sit their starters when they have the playoffs locked up. So guys don't get injured. Because winning the game does not matter - advancing in the playoffs does.

Anyone that watches football knows this, and anyone that has played knows the goal is to win in the playoffs. (Otherwise, we would be celebrating the regular season record winner and not if the wildcard team wins the SB). But you can argue your ignorance, and call intelligent positioning cowardice because you cannot comprehend tactics & strategy. No worries. We won't judge you.
I don't care who the quote came from. It's true. The game is played to win, and you play to win the game.

Deliberate failure is not an option in a league that relies heavily on team chemistry and culture.

Winning teams win, losing teams lose. Your "intelligent positioning" strategy rarely works out, because bad teams have bad cultures and bad teams tend to stay bad.

You put together the squad, and then you go and try to win every single one of the games.

Anything else IS cowardice, and will be perceived as such by the players who just wasted a year of their finite careers, as well as the coaches who just took shots to their reputations and job security.

Resting for the playoffs is a luxury gained by trying like hell to win every single game before that. Completely invalid example that has nothing to do with what's being talked about.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score

You don't have anything to worry about with the young players, they're ALL playing.

We went to a 3-4 and got rid of all our veteran edge rushers, one starting DB and Bobby. That means most of the young players we drafted the past two years are going to get a lot of playing time, both on special teams and on the defense.

And if they don't? Then that spells a 3-14 season because it means they're terrible and the rebuild isn't working.