Which game plan beats the Broncos?

toffee

Reaction score
I agree with the general thoughts that the Seattle run game is their best chance to limit the opportunities available to the Broncos.
On Defense I think you have to run two high and stack the box. Try to take away the deep ball and the run game. If Russ is patient enough to take the underneaths stuff all day then he probably beats us handily. I’m not convinced his personal expectations and ego will allow him to be as patient as he needs to be. Best case scenario he and the coaches can’t adjust together in week one and we are getting the worst version of the 22 broncos.
If they stack the box to stop our run game?

FloridaSeahawk18

Reaction score
This is going to happen 17 games this season until Geno can prove he can pass out of it, which remains to be seen. We have the WR talent to attack it at least.

Aircrew

Reaction score
I think the realistic gameplan is pounding the rock with supplemental key passes to DK, Tyler and our TE's. The D needs to put pressure on Russ and the secondary needs to play tight against Denver's receivers. Good tackling, grind down their D line with our new O line and RB's, minimize mistakes/turnovers, play good special teams and generally frustrate RW.
A month ago I thought Seattle had a legitimate chance to squeak out a win against Denver, but now I'm not so sure. I get that we haven't seen the 1's really play much this preseason, but with the way the League is now, the first month of the regular season all teams are getting tuned up and in sync. I think the Broncos have an easier path to getting dialed in than we do by simply having a little more talent and a few more veterans at key positions. I don't think it'll be a decisive win, by either team, but if I were a betting man, I'd put my money on Denver by a touchdown.

Last edited:

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Let Wilson beat himself. He will come out of the gates wanting to be the hero. Protect the top, so he can't beat you there. He won't take what you give him. Keep the pass rush on until the whistle blows. No need to keep him hemmed in. He's too slow to get much on the ground, and his receivers have no game time with him, to get used to his sandlot style.

Pound the rock in the first half to open up the play action in the second. Then, dink and dunk, and let DK and No E pile up the YAC. Feature the tight ends as an integral part of the game between the 20's. Seattle hasn't done that in years, and they will never see it coming

Don't forget to bring a thermos to keep Wilson's post-game tears warm.

Last edited:

Mike D in 332

Reaction score
That would be the best plan for the Broncos defense. To be clear I was talking about When the Seahawks are on defense. Like every game this year I expect this to be very difficult for us to win.

Chawker

Reaction score
First no turnovers, no pre-snap penaltys, run the ball hard.

On defense pressure Wilson on 3rd downs blitz him hard ! Get a turnover or two a don't let him play hero ball at the end. Just play good solid Seahawks football.

Cheers

camdawg

Reaction score
I agree with the general thoughts that the Seattle run game is their best chance to limit the opportunities available to the Broncos.
On Defense I think you have to run two high and stack the box. Try to take away the deep ball and the run game. If Russ is patient enough to take the underneaths stuff all day then he probably beats us handily. I’m not convinced his personal expectations and ego will allow him to be as patient as he needs to be. Best case scenario he and the coaches can’t adjust together in week one and we are getting the worst version of the 22 broncos.
Unfortunately you really can't do both cover 2 AND stacking the box. Cover 2 means you keep Jamal deep with Quandre. Stacking the box means you bring him close to the line of scrimmage to be tough against the run and to blitz.

I think we have to gamble and do that. Jamal is not a great coverage safety. And Denver can probably run on us if we keep both safeties back. So let's make Denver prove they can block a blitzing Jamal. Russ might hit a big one to Jeudy...but maybe he gets smacked hard a few times and makes some mistakes.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Lock won't have any insights into their offense since they have a new coaching staff. Our coaches will however, since they will be playing Russball. It is an interesting thing in this forum where people believe Wilson will change his style of play after doing the same things since college but our newly named starter can't change who he was.

As far as game plan, it will be us trying to keep Wilson off the field the same way people did to us last season. We have the players to accomplish it.
Unfortunately, Pete ball may minimize turnovers but it is not good at keeping opposing offenses off the field. In fact, it has more of an impact on our defense getting tired than opposing defenses getting tired.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I think we lose this due to a flag but we have a pretty good chance here.

So 2 high shells, play a soft zone, and make him drive it down the field. Don't worry about covering screens, he barely uses them.
Don't agree on all the blitzing. Go back and look at some of Wilson's best plays, many were in Cover 0 blitzes (where Homer or another RB picked up the blitzer).

When the ball is in the air, make sure you are physical with the WR. For some reason the league does not call a lot of even obvious PI when Wilson flings it long.
On offense? You better hope we can run the ball.

We can probably get some big plays if Denver has a new DC, which I am betting they do. So Metcalf and Lockett should get at least a TD each. Combine that with Russ not knowing his WRs quite yet? Probably a decent chance.

Last edited:

JustTheTip

Reaction score
I think we lose this due to a flag but we have a pretty good chance here.

So 2 high shells, play a soft zone, and make him drive it down the field. Don't worry about covering screens, he barely uses them.
Don't agree on all the blitzing. Go back and look at some of Wilson's best plays, many were in Cover 0 blitzes (where Homer or another RB picked up the blitzer).

When the ball is in the air, make sure you are physical with the WR. For some reason the league does not call a lot of even obvious PI when Wilson flings it long.
On offense? You better hope we can run the ball.
That may have had more to do with him playing for the Seahawks than him being Wilson.

BASF

Reaction score
Unfortunately, Pete ball may minimize turnovers but it is not good at keeping opposing offenses off the field. In fact, it has more of an impact on our defense getting tired than opposing defenses getting tired.
Most of that is predicated on the QB taking the middle of the defense and Wilson is afraid of that. This is actually going to be a very fascinating game in that Pete's defense (which we are no longer running) defends against Wilson's main strengths. Will Wilson swallow his hubris in throwing against the strength of our defense to take the open players in the middle?

toffee

Reaction score
Lock won't have any insights into their offense since they have a new coaching staff. Our coaches will however, since they will be playing Russball. It is an interesting thing in this forum where people believe Wilson will change his style of play after doing the same things since college but our newly named starter can't change who he was.

As far as game plan, it will be us trying to keep Wilson off the field the same way people did to us last season. We have the players to accomplish it.
Geno of '13 '14 was a turnover machine, Geno was '21 and so far in '22 sure isn't. Geno has changed, almost a different QB.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Most of that is predicated on the QB taking the middle of the defense and Wilson is afraid of that. This is actually going to be a very fascinating game in that Pete's defense (which we are no longer running) defends against Wilson's main strengths. Will Wilson swallow his hubris in throwing against the strength of our defense to take the open players in the middle?
A big chunk of this is also Pete's insistence on taking the play clock down under 5 seconds, I am assuming to rest his defense and artificially inflate time of possession. It actually has the opposite effect, allowing the opposing defense on the field rest and also increasing short drive chance because the defense has a much better idea of when the ball is going to be snapped making both run and pass defense more effective.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
1.Run the ball effectively
2. No turnovers
3. Play good special teams (no big returns given up, Myers makes all his kicks)
4. Get pressure on Russell to hopefully make some mistakes and take sacks

I think we can do 1 and 4, but unfortunately with what I've seen this pre-season I'm not so sure about 2 and 3.

Broncos are a more talented team in every phase, but we all know it's game 1, and we're at home and the team and crowd will be juiced up, so anything's possible.

But if I was betting on the game, I see a 20-10 Broncos win.

keasley45

Reaction score
Edge rush…

This. Russ has been seeing ghosts for years. For all the ice in his veins over the first 8 years of his career, he's looked particularly flincky in the last 2 or 3 when he consistently gets hit.

We have to harass him to no end. If we have to walk thr line and take a clean roughing penalty or two to rattle him, that's what we have to do. But getting guys in his face and hands up, up the middle is going to make his night harder.

The speed of our LB will make it hard for Russ to scramble. I might even have Barton spy Russ and keep containment on him if he breaks pocket. Bartons speed is wayyy underrated and he's shown a nose for being able to fill through gaps in the line.

Geno is going to have to play really well. Their secondary, above Russ and any other element of their team will be THE factor. If we can't be efficient and mistake free through the air, it will make running that much harder.

But if we can do enough to convert on 3rd and hold the ball, run it reasonably well, I think we give our D a reasonable chance to get after it.

Their Oline ain't great and I think I read somewhere that last year they had THE worst running average on 1st and 2nd down in the league.

As crazy as it is to say, I think this is a game that in a way is tailored made for a corner like Woolen. Not even sure he will start, but his ability to just mirror guys all over the field is incredible. We will need that on at least on wr when Russ starts extending plays.

Also critical will be our #3 WR. Praying to GOD Eskridge stay healthy. Their Dbs might be able to keep close enough to DK and Tyler to make it tough for Geno. But if our #3 can be an x factor... I think we can move the ball on them. And if nothing else, Friday night showed again the ridiculous speed the D Eskridge possesses. He's a matchup problem.

TE, and RBs out of the backfield will also be critical.

Overall though, hold the ball. Pass efficiently. Pressure them with D Eskridges speed. Beat the crap out of them with the run, and then take your shot if it's there.

I think the defense will be good enough if we can keep the ball and dictate the terms of play to them.