When will Wilson call his own plays?

Axx

Reaction score
If wilsin calls his own plays then they nevef run the read option agai

sc85sis

Reaction score
Scottemojo":104j05wm said:
All I know is last year at Chicago, our offense was anemic until the last two drives. Who called the plays those last two drives? Wilson. And that was the beginning of an awesome offensive stretch.
I'm not sure that's accurate. Wilson asked Bevell if they could continue with the read option because he felt it was working really well, but Bevell still called the actual plays in.

mikeak

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3p0lb4yy said:
Wilson will deserve to call all the plays long before he gets to call all the plays. If ever.

This is the post of the thread and the answer to the OP

TCS

Reaction score
The only QB that I can remember that at one time called all of his own plays is Jim Kelly. I could be wrong though.

An excerpt from his Hall of Fame Enshrinement speech:
"As Chris Berman, one of my good buddies, always said, no one circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills. Our Bills' family was as close as it could be. Bill Polian, the best general manager in football. He brought us together. John Butler, the toughest SOB I've ever met - and we're all keeping him in our prayers - he kept us together. And Marv Levy saw to it that we played together. And then, the phrase "no-huddle" became a household name. It would have never been possible without offensive coordinator Ted Marchibroda, who trusted his quarterback, me, to call all my own plays. Thanks, Ted. In addition to Ted was Tom Bresnahan, Jim Shofner, the late Elijah Pitts, Nick Nicolau, Don Lawrence, Chuck Lester and many others. Job well done, men."

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/membe ... tab=Speech

Go Hawks!

tcs

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
I don't think it's a matter of when, as in, "Okay, from now on Wilson is calling all the plays." He will have situational say-so, though. If he sees a sure 1st down, a huge gain, or a monster scoring opportunity based on the defensive alignment, there's no way he's going to pass it up and wait for the call from the sideline. Those training wheels came off for the 2012 Chicago game and they aren't putting them back on. He won't be all "rogue QB" out there, but he'll know the plan inside and out and he'll be able to improvise within that plan accordingly.

I liken it to Sherman's strip-sack of Sanchez last year. He recognized a situation they had talked about once in camp and he knew the play was there. He was not designated to blitz, but he made a great football play because it was the right call based on the offensive alignment.

We have a lot of smart players on this team, with Wilson at the head of the class. While he (like Sherman) does not have carte blanche to do whatever he wants, I'm speculating that he has the trust of his HC and OC to adjust in real time if the alignments call for an audible.

I wonder if we could see a situation in which Bevell sends in 2 or 3 plays and Wilson chooses which one he thinks will work once they're at the line. With an all-pro center in Unger calling the blocking assignments, with wily veterans at every WR position, with Beast and Zach, and of course Wilson, I think we have the personnel to make it work.

Cartire

Reaction score
The more responses I read, the more I think most people here dont really watch football all that often. QB's dont call all the plays. That would be completely irresponsible from an organization that invest heavily in winning to add that to your QB's to-do list while playing.

The only time QB's call the plays is during hurry up offenses (which still have a standard script to them) and audibles.

Coaches dont work on a gameplan all week just to have the QB call whatever he feels like all the time. There is no "deserving" to call plays either. Its one thing to have a play, go up to line and see the defense and kill outta the play. Its another thing entirely to just say, "you call the shots, we'll sit back here and watch".

QB's calling plays for a team is a thing of the way way past.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Cartire":1gqnas86 said:
The more responses I read, the more I think most people here dont really watch football all that often. QB's dont call all the plays. That would be completely irresponsible from an organization that invest heavily in winning to add that to your QB's to-do list while playing.

The only time QB's call the plays is during hurry up offenses (which still have a standard script to them) and audibles.

Coaches dont work on a gameplan all week just to have the QB call whatever he feels like all the time. There is no "deserving" to call plays either. Its one thing to have a play, go up to line and see the defense and kill outta the play. Its another thing entirely to just say, "you call the shots, we'll sit back here and watch".

QB's calling plays for a team is a thing of the way way past.
Oh, I will never think that a QB needs to call all the plays. I want Wilson to have the autonomy to change any play any time.
sc85sis":1gqnas86 said:
Scottemojo":1gqnas86 said:
All I know is last year at Chicago, our offense was anemic until the last two drives. Who called the plays those last two drives? Wilson. And that was the beginning of an awesome offensive stretch.
I'm not sure that's accurate. Wilson asked Bevell if they could continue with the read option because he felt it was working really well, but Bevell still called the actual plays in.
I am pretty sure that even Pete said they turned most of the play calling over to Wilson in both drives. 2 minute situation and all. Pete definitely sasy that is the moment they took the lock off of Russell, and I have a hard time thinking that is all based on Wilson mentioning on the sidelines they should run more option. If you go back and watch the pressers, I am pretty sure Wilson called the plays. I know I knew watching that all unfold we were watching the emergence of our real offense. I was also kinda pissed that it took having our backs against the playoff wall and against the Chicago game clock to finally put most of the offense in his hands.

My fears that the OC will not get out of the way are not without historical background. Dan Reeves developed John Elway, but the end of Reeves in Denver was he would not trust his QB to make in game calls. Reeves was always a B+ coach for that reason. Other coaches have been undone by wanting to control too much. Pete is not Reeves, but the conservative stuff reappeared in the playoffs and it took getting behind by 20 for Wilson to be made the gameplan. Watch the first half and the second half of those games. In the 2nd half, Wilson is audibling the hell out the offense, in the first half, hardly at all. That is what I am talking about. Not Wilson calling every play.

Tical21

Reaction score
I also remember hearing somewhere that Elway called plays at some point. I believe Esiason did as well, and I know for sure Kelly did. I also know Peyton Manning did for his last several years with the Colts. Offensive coordinators are just paid so much more money now and have really refined their processes. They're all on the same page though. The QB's know what plays to expect based on situations, and most know what the audible is going to be based on the defense. If an offensive coordinator and QB have worked together with any chemistry at all, they know what the other is seeing.

I don't fully agree that I would like to see Wilson given full reign to call audibles whenever he sees fit. Most QB's call audibles based on a numbers system. If there are more defenders in the box than blockers to account for them, lots of teams automatically audible to a pass, and visa versa. The problem with that in this situation is that teams tend to load the box a bit more often against the Seahawks than they would other teams. I don't, nor I assume does Pete Carroll, want this team to run less, which is what would happen if you went by the numbers. I would rather see us run the ball anyways. "If you want to put 8 in the box, we're going to run it anyways, right over and through you, and you can't do a thing about it." This also leaves you more open for the big play down the field.

Normally, I would agree. Wilson has shown that he deserves that kind of freedom, and we have the playmakers outside to be able to put up big numbers passing more often. But the HOW to me is even more important than the WHAT. We want to be bullies on both sides of the ball. Leave cleat marks up their chests. Winning that way in particular will put hair on our chest, and fear in the eyes of our opponents. We've got the Beast in his prime and a road-grating O-Line. Lets not just get to the promised land, lets bulldoze our way there. Let us play men's football. Be the toughest SOB's out there. Audible? No thanks. Marshawn between the center and guard 29 times. I dare you to stop it.

mikeak

Reaction score
I personally think we will have a hurry-up mode in our offense this year. I think it will be two ways

1) Traditional one - we go in hurry-up mode and RW will have quite a bit of wiggle room to either call from pre-selected plays or audible at the line of scrimmage. Thinking more the Peyton Manning style than the Oregon Ducks style so adjustments at the LOS

2) Defense that is changing three four guys out they will make the call that if they do it after the next down you go no-huddle. Don't change any of your own players then you don't have to give the defense the extra time and go no-huddle for a few plays

obviously this will be put in place now in the offseason and requires a lot of timing and everyone knowing the plays the same way etc. With the offseason workouts and being the starter all through training camp the time is there this year to do things like this.

Then of course there is that option 3 as well. You know when RW gets blitzed, can't find an open guy and just runs around with the football for a few minutes. I think those are called by RW as well and not by PC :D

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":3bg8ebo7 said:
DavidSeven":3bg8ebo7 said:
godawg":3bg8ebo7 said:
Pete Carroll is a great coach when it comes to preparing his players for battle, but he is not a master at time management or the endgame. Some great QBs have been allowed to call their own plays. Russell Wilson may well be a Hall of Fame coach after a HoF career at QB. It seems ineluctable.

What are your examples of poor time management from last season? When did they ever run out of time in the fourth quarter (in a 2 minute situation)?

I think that it can be argued that they could have left ATL a bit less time to strike back in that last game. I'm trying to think of bad two-minute drills at the end of the second or fourth quarters last year, and I cannot think of any off the top of my head, so I wonder if my impression that we need to tighten that part of the offense up is just something I fabricated.

That's ridiculous, It CAN"T be argued that they left more time. Do you not recall that the play that got them inside the 5 year line was 3rd down. If RW takes a sack it's now 4th down and a long way to go. Luckily he escapes and dumps it off to MarShawn who plows his way inside the 5 yard line. There was nothing that could have been done aside from kneeling down and milking the clock down inside 15 seconds. But why would you do that and waste a timeout. There was no guarantee that we'd get in on that very next play.

I'm sorry but that loss falls squarely on the defense for giving up 30+ yards in just 2 plays.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
A rookie calling his own plays especially the last two minutes...? Are u serious? Source please....

Cartire

Reaction score
Passepartout":2ityxbq2 said:
Well don't know about calling his own plays just yet. But think he will be a Captain for the team in 2013!

This is by far my biggest question.

I know Washington was one and hes gone. If they vote him in, then its official, the team really does consider him the leader.