When will Wilson call his own plays?

godawg

Reaction score
Pete Carroll is a great coach when it comes to preparing his players for battle, but he is not a master at time management or the endgame. Some great QBs have been allowed to call their own plays. Russell Wilson may well be a Hall of Fame coach after a HoF career at QB. It seems ineluctable.

Cartire

Reaction score
godawg":3lq0gpj1 said:
Pete Carrol is a great coach when it comes to preparing his players for battle, but he is not a master at time management or the endgame. Some great QBs have been allowed to call their own plays. Russell Wilson may well be a Hall of Fame coach after a HoF career at QB. It seems ineluctable.

If your referring to 2 minute drills, he already does that.

He also audibles frequently.

What exactly are you talking about? Calling plays on his own the whole game?

OP
OP
godawg

godawg

Reaction score
I didn't know Wilson had control in the 2 minute drills. It would step on Bevel's toes for Wilson to take over more play-calling, but it would speed up the offense.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Cartire":osw94nfu said:
godawg":osw94nfu said:
Pete Carrol is a great coach when it comes to preparing his players for battle, but he is not a master at time management or the endgame. Some great QBs have been allowed to call their own plays. Russell Wilson may well be a Hall of Fame coach after a HoF career at QB. It seems ineluctable.

I don't think that's accurate. Where are you getting that info from?

Cartire

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":wtvu919g said:
Cartire":wtvu919g said:
godawg":wtvu919g said:

I don't think that's accurate. Where are you getting that info from?

Did you watch the 2 minute drills the last part of the season? He called most the plays on the run when trying to preserve time. Chicago and Atlanta are most notable. Anytime you are doing a no-huddle 2 min drill, you have a gameplan for it, but its Wilson that makes the call as they come up to the line depending on the defense.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
godawg":2dejup7x said:
Pete Carroll is a great coach when it comes to preparing his players for battle, but he is not a master at time management or the endgame. Some great QBs have been allowed to call their own plays. Russell Wilson may well be a Hall of Fame coach after a HoF career at QB. It seems ineluctable.

What are your examples of poor time management from last season? When did they ever run out of time in the fourth quarter (in a 2 minute situation)?

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
DavidSeven":18r2btdr said:
godawg":18r2btdr said:

What are your examples of poor time management from last season? When did they ever run out of time in the fourth quarter (in a 2 minute situation)?

I think that it can be argued that they could have left ATL a bit less time to strike back in that last game. I'm trying to think of bad two-minute drills at the end of the second or fourth quarters last year, and I cannot think of any off the top of my head, so I wonder if my impression that we need to tighten that part of the offense up is just something I fabricated.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":3px2qfv6 said:
DavidSeven":3px2qfv6 said:
godawg":3px2qfv6 said:

I think that it can be argued that they could have left ATL a bit less time to strike back in that last game. I'm trying to think of bad two-minute drills at the end of the second or fourth quarters last year, and I cannot think of any off the top of my head, so I wonder if my impression that we need to tighten that part of the offense up is just something I fabricated.

I don't consider 30 seconds too much time. That's generally a wrap in most NFL games. We left more time than that for New England, but no one was calling Wilson's bomb to Rice a stupid decision. Two minute defense was the issue last season, not clock management IMO.

kearly

Reaction score
Clock management is the ultimate in MMQB'ing. You score too early, and people bash you. You cut it too close, and it costs you. Seattle experienced both halves of that misfortune during the Atlanta game, but I thought their clock management was excellent. They led a long drive at the end of the 1st half that would have probably scored had Wilson had the sense to not take a sack (even if he had been penalized for grounding, the 10 second runoff would have still left 6 seconds). And then Seattle took the lead with 31 seconds to go in the second half after using up plenty of clock- that's almost perfect clock management. Unfortunately, it wasn't perfect enough.

If your 2-minute defense is so untrustworthy that you have to score on the game's final play to win a close game, then it's the defense that needs to be investigated, not clock management.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Cartire":1w34axtv said:
Did you watch the 2 minute drills the last part of the season? He called most the plays on the run when trying to preserve time. Chicago and Atlanta are most notable. Anytime you are doing a no-huddle 2 min drill, you have a gameplan for it, but its Wilson that makes the call as they come up to the line depending on the defense.

Yeah, you just said it - two-minute drill plays are pre-scripted, so it's not the same as calling all of his own pays throughout the game.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Wilson will deserve to call all the plays long before he gets to call all the plays. If ever.

Cartire

Reaction score
I truly dont think any QB ever should be calling "all the plays". Thats just dumb. You have a trained staff and coordinator who are crunching all of this during the game.

The only time you have your QB call the plays is in hurry up offenses. Why do people want him calling the plays? Hurry up offenses can be effective, but they are just as taxing on Offensive players as Defensive, so its not to much of an advantage. And the possibility of miscues increases.

I know half of you are ready to start screaming, well manning does it. Manning does it sometimes, when they decide to speed up the tempo. He doesnt do it all the time.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
He is smart enough that, in due time, this coaching staff will trust him to audible on every play, if necessary.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
I really don't think there has been a QB 'calling his own plays' since the 70's. I mean seriously. It just doesn't happen anymore, and probably never will. Audibles? Sure. But that's not the same thing and certainly not what your OP suggested.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Manning does more of this than probably any quarterback in the modern NFL. And look where that got Indianapolis the year he was hurt.

Sac

Reaction score
I fully expect Wilson to wave off the kick team and go for it at some point this season.

OP
OP
godawg

godawg

Reaction score
Last year Pete did pretty well with time management, although 30 seconds was too much time. The year before he had some shaky moments that cost us games. Pete is a good big picture guy, but Russell is a master of the details.

Jazzhawk, didn't Elway call the plays at times? I just think there will be times in a game where Wilson will be in a zone, and will want to call plays. We'll see.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
^^ Shanahan was the head coach and pretty much the OC, and so, no, Elway didn't call his own plays. Now, Elway may have called some plays during 2 minute drills and whatnot. Ok, lots of QB's will do that, but often even those are pre-scripted. So I don't think that counts.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
godawg":3ej3jqnt said:
Jazzhawk, didn't Elway call the plays at times? I just think there will be times in a game where Wilson will be in a zone, and will want to call plays. We'll see.

No and the answer is never. A quarterback has so many responsibilities like getting people lined up, getting the play call to the rest of the team, changing protections and oh do this all before the play clock expires they don't have time to look at the down and distance and make an appropriate playcall.

The coordinator is charting and studying every play, it's not as simple as you think.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
All I know is last year at Chicago, our offense was anemic until the last two drives. Who called the plays those last two drives? Wilson. And that was the beginning of an awesome offensive stretch.