What scares you about this matchup?

pehawk

Reaction score
So, what is causing you concern or nervousness heading into this game? Here's a few of mine.

1) QB pressure. Think about what and who's on IR; Marsh, Hill, Scruggs, Mebane. Those are all FANTASTIC players when part of a rotation. I expect to see the pass rush to start out great, then backslide as the game goes on, like the Carolina game. They're just not able to cycle fresh guys as much.

2) Bevell. I'm NOT trying to start a Bevell bashing thread. But, I'm fearful over his drive killing empty-set, 4 wide on 2 and 2. As the defensive line depth decreases, so does the margin for error team-wide. The offense may not have the luxury of playing footsies for a quarter, to set up something later on. Besides, what is there to set up, really? The injuries have depleted an already questionable receiving corp, don't bother with the passing game unless you have too.
Because of #1, I think Russ and Bevell will need to live without their scripted plays.

3) Wilfork vs Unger is a matchup that concerns me. As much as possible, I want Carp on Wilfork, Carp can handle Wilfork, easy. The Wilfork's of the world are why Carp still has a lot of value.

4) KO coverage. Lil 1950's all-pro dude is the type of guy that CAN give Seattle's ST some problems. Lil, quick, twinks like that have given them issues before.

Largent80

Reaction score
After the last game, I am concerned over giving up the ball. I also have the D-Line middle push concerns, but we can use a LB to bolster that.

sutz

Reaction score
My only real concern is ST, especially return coverage. We've shown some lack of discipline.

I don't see how you can "put Carp on Wilfork." You can't move O-line players around like the D-line can. But, then I'm not convinced our O-line is as bad as our scouts on this board seem to think.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Pressure against Brady. If we give him the time we gave Rogers we will be in for a looooong day.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
sutz":1zknsdpx said:
My only real concern is ST, especially return coverage. We've shown some lack of discipline.

I don't see how you can "put Carp on Wilfork." You can't move O-line players around like the D-line can. But, then I'm not convinced our O-line is as bad as our scouts on this board seem to think.

Yeah, I misphrased that. Should've read "I wish" Carp could be on Wilfork as much as possible.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
D-line. If we had Mebane and Hill, I would be so confident in a win. Like over 90%.

But without those guys, the pressure up the middle is just not the same. I'm worried the Pats will be able to break a couple runs up the gut too.

That's my only real concern is the middle of the D-line.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Starting slow, seems we like to spot teams points in the first quarter 'to get a feel for them'. Can't try that crap against Bill. Please give them some new looks. The consecutive 19-3 games show what we can be capable of without a whole lot from our main receiving options. Which is my next point...

Passing game. Not one of our receivers command enough respect to worry defences. Russell and them will have to be near flawless if Patriots can limit our running game.

Pressure! Go out on a high Quinny, give 'em hell! Let's see Bobby getting some hits on Brady, weak interiors and all.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
I hope Cooper gets to play a bit. Dude just gets open. He'd be a logical surprise factor in this game.

Hawk Finn

Reaction score
Discipline. My feeling this whole year has been that the team with the best chance of beating the Seahawks is the Seahawks.

Drive-killing penalties on offense.
Drive-extending penalties on defense.
Turnovers.
Pete getting cute on 4th down.
Failing to capitalize on our opponent's miscues, and settling for FG's rather than cashing in for 7.
Poor decisions and a lack of explosiveness on ST that pin us back deep in our own territory; we have to win the battle of field position.
Everything else.

I respect the Patriots and believe this will be a nail-biter. Play disciplined football and you walk away with a second Lombardi. Otherwise, :180670:

Ruminator

Reaction score
My only real concern is #25 and #29 -- will they be able to deliver the hits all game long despite the injuries sustained in the NFCC game? That's really about it for me.

seahawks08

Reaction score
I am not scared, there are some key match ups but our team does practice and study film. The separation is in the preparation. I have no concerns today, well Sunday I will be nervous and anxious.

kearly

Reaction score
1. Aggressiveness from Belichick. Belichick knows our team even better than we do, which means he knows that playing Seattle straight up is likely a losing proposition. I am worried that we might see some early agressiveness on 4th down, including a fake punt or fake kick that would lead to a cheap TD. I also worry about their dink and dunk offense with a 4 down mentality.

Of course, Denver was pretty aggressive too and thankfully for us it backfired. However, I think New England's overall chances of winning are much higher if the Pats are aggressive, especially early in the game. I am bracing for some Sean Peyton type aggressiveness.

2. The Patriots on 3rd and short and 4th and short and goal to go situations. Edelman and Amendola are not very good, but they are tough to defend in those situations. Remember how tough the Chargers WRs were earlier this year on 3rd and 4th downs? Likewise, their WR group is subpar, but is designed for success in short yardage. Big challenge for Seattle. I think my biggest fear in this game is seeing the Pats go 10/17 on 3rd down and 3/3 on 4th down. So much of what happens in football really just boils down to 3rd and 4th down.

3. Gronk. He's only semi-finesse. I think he'll get 10-15 catches in this game, with a low YPC.

4. Lack of hits on Brady. Even though the Patriots are nothing like the Panthers, I'm getting kind of a Panthers playoff game vibe from this matchup. Newton had all day to throw on most of his dropbacks, and played very well outside of the pick six throw. Even at the end of the game Newton still had that offense marching in the passing game. Brady will be much tougher, his release much quicker, and his protection much better. Coverage will have to come up huge in this game for Seattle, and I'm a bit nervous that our defense will not impact Brady as much as the other HoF QBs.

5. Unger v. Wilfork. Unger usually struggles against bigger DTs in the run game. Wilfork is the only member of the Pats defense that creates a mismatch in their favor, IMO.

I still think Seattle wins, but I would not be surprised if this game ends up higher scoring than people think. I feel like the Patriots offense has high variance in this game, depending on how they do in clutch situations and by how aggressive Belichick is.

stack600

Reaction score
1 KR choices. Take the knee and the 20. That being said if Baldwin or whoever is back there secure the ball, just seems when they come out it's 10-15 this season.

2 Pressure on Brady, we all know when Brady's under pressure he is not as accurate.

3 O line pass protection. Not worried about run blocking at all. But just give Russ a lil time.

4 T.O.P own the clock. long drives. Keep the Ball and Keep the D fresh especially the D Line.

Overall, I'm really not that worried. I think and feel it will be tight in the 1st half and although Pats are a 4th quarter team also, We pull away in the 2nd half on the legs of the Beast,
GO HAWKS!!!!

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
I would say that the #1 thing that really "scares" (I don't know that I would say truly scared, it's more worried) about this matchup ... is Bill Belichick.

In a word -- he's a genius (an evil genius). And he's a genius who is every bit as good (or better) than Pete Carroll in diagnosing a team's weaknesses ... and exploiting them again and again and again. He and his staff are very good at taking away the #1 thing that a team likes to do ... and of almost completely remaking their team and of their approach week by week. Will they be more of a power running team? Will they dink and dunk us to death? They have so many ways to attack a team and can change tactics so quickly that the Hawks defense needs to be ready. Defensively, this team has so many wrinkles that the wrinkles have wrinkles. Seahawks QB's coach Carl Smith said that they need to be prepared for anything, including a particular blitz that Belichick last used against him in 1994.

That and Belichick's ability to know rules that even the referees don't know ... and to be able to twist those to his advantage makes him someone we should frankly be a bit nervous about. He will break any rule and use absolutely anything and everything to his advantage. Unlike Green Bay, the Patriots and Bill Belichick WON'T quit or let up ever. The Seahawks will have to literally pry victory from Belichick's cold dead hand, as he will battle us tooth and nail to his dying breath.

THAT is the one thing that makes me nervous come Sunday. I hope Pete Carroll and his staff have done as much homework on Belichick and the Patriots as they undoubtedly have on us.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Only Brady makes me nervous.

Just ask yourself, "who concerned you most...Brady, Rodgers, Manning"

Every time I do, I can't go with the current narrative of Rodgers being the GOAT. I never really worried about AR hurting the hawks, but I sure do Brady. I think Brady is the real GOAT.

Strongarm2399

Reaction score
kearly":3h9ock5a said:
1. Aggressiveness from Belichick. Belichick knows our team even better than we do, which means he knows that playing Seattle straight up is likely a losing proposition. I am worried that we might see some early agressiveness on 4th down, including a fake punt or fake kick that would lead to a cheap TD. I also worry about their dink and dunk offense with a 4 down mentality.

Of course, Denver was pretty aggressive too and thankfully for us it backfired. However, I think New England's overall chances of winning are much higher if the Pats are aggressive, especially early in the game. I am bracing for some Sean Peyton type aggressiveness.

2. The Patriots on 3rd and short and 4th and short and goal to go situations. Edelman and Amendola are not very good, but they are tough to defend in those situations. Remember how tough the Chargers WRs were earlier this year on 3rd and 4th downs? Likewise, their WR group is subpar, but is designed for success in short yardage. Big challenge for Seattle. I think my biggest fear in this game is seeing the Pats go 10/17 on 3rd down and 3/3 on 4th down. So much of what happens in football really just boils down to 3rd and 4th down.

3. Gronk. He's only semi-finesse. I think he'll get 10-15 catches in this game, with a low YPC.

4. Lack of hits on Brady. Even though the Patriots are nothing like the Panthers, I'm getting kind of a Panthers playoff game vibe from this matchup. Newton had all day to throw on most of his dropbacks, and played very well outside of the pick six throw. Even at the end of the game Newton still had that offense marching in the passing game. Brady will be much tougher, his release much quicker, and his protection much better. Coverage will have to come up huge in this game for Seattle, and I'm a bit nervous that our defense will not impact Brady as much as the other HoF QBs.

5. Unger v. Wilfork. Unger usually struggles against bigger DTs in the run game. Wilfork is the only member of the Pats defense that creates a mismatch in their favor, IMO.

I still think Seattle wins, but I would not be surprised if this game ends up higher scoring than people think. I feel like the Patriots offense has high variance in this game, depending on how they do in clutch situations and by how aggressive Belichick is.

I hope you're not buying into gronk not liking being pressed. He is as far from finesse as a football player gets. He can be shut down but thinking a de clipping him is going to make him back down is crazy

hawk79

Reaction score
Christ, now I'm depressed...Why even watch the game now...apparently it's over.

kf3339

Reaction score
The only thing that scares me is turnovers on our part. I see no chance in us not winning as long as we don't give it up.

There is nothing else about the Patriots that bother me at all.

Simple as that.

hawkfannj

Reaction score
D line pressure is my top concern . And can our O operate with out beast mode going off .
IMHO this game comes down to RW and our WRs that's what my guT tells me

irocdave

Reaction score
Man, last year I knew the Hawks would curb stomp the Donks before the SB. At the beginning of this year I felt it would be the Hawks and Pats for all the marbles. Hawks have lost sever key players but made it back. I don't see this being a dominate win, and honestly I keep letting doubt creep in. The things that concern me are the following -

Hawks Offense starting slowly. If they do and get down by 14 or more there wont be a comeback win. All the reasons why have already been mentioned. Mainly Brady and Belichick.

Run defense. This goes hand in hand with the offense keeping pace. Another big back, same as last game, if they find any consistency they will keep pounding it especially if in the lead. The Hawks can be run on if the opponent commits to it and has the D to keep them in the game.

Pressure on Brady. Some how, some way the front four need to get home. Brady is NOT Manning or Rogers. Give him all day he will find a way. Gronk will get the ball and even though Kam is a bad ass, Gronk running around with the ball in the secondary consistently will lead to a loss. Gronk isn't Davis or Graham.

Stupid penalties. Some are worth 5 - 15 yards. Lining up off sides, false starts by wide receivers, illegal procedure, punching guys in the face are not smart penalties.

Pete Carroll and not thinking outside the conventional some times. If you think Bill didn't notice how Jeff Fischer has taken advantage of the Hawks the last couple of years with gadget plays in non typical situations, think again.

If Sherman, Thomas play at a 90% and Lynch / Wilson do what they do, the turnover ratio is even or better the Hawks take this. It will be a nail biter though. Trust me Hawk fans, this isn't going to be a blow out.