We Were All Wrong

chrispy

Reaction score
Pete's the greatest, but don't have an expectation for him to deliver when the iron is hot in a down NFC.

He is also coach of the year, but don't expect him to make a run in the playoffs.

Makes sense.

JS is executive of the Year. Daboll will win coach of the year, probably.
Pete's a SB winning Coach that has more rookie starters than any other team and is over performing everyone's expectations, including yous, but he sucks. ...also makes sense.

Daboll is definitely in the argument. However, he should be fired if the Giants don't win the NFCC in this off year.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
And you keep posting. You're almost unbearable at this point. republicans are the worst.
Well, that explains a few things.

Here's an idea: Try NOT projecting your political views onto others when trying to discuss football. Ignorance truly is bliss. I think the 1st Amendment even specifically mentions a wall of separation between sports and politics. Or something.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
You keep spouting this ridiculous mantra. You seem to like stats, so here are some stats:

1. Carroll has the highest regular season win percentage than any other Seahawk coach in history (PC .618, CK .559, MH .538)
2. Carroll has won more regular season games than any other Seahawk coach in history (PC 119, MH 86, CK 80)
3. Carroll has the highest post season win percentage than any other Seahawk coach in history (PC .555, CK .428, MH .400)
4. Carroll is tied with Holmgren for most Division championships than any other Seahawk coach in history (PC 5, MH 5, CK 1)
5. Carroll has more NFC championships than any other Seahawk coach in history (PC 2, MH 1, CK 0)
6. Carroll has more SB appearances than any other Seahawk coach in history (PC 2, MH 1)
7. Carrol has more SB wins than any other Seahawk coach in history! (PC 1)
What's his playoff record since 2015?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Both can be true.

1) A top 5 QB cures all ills.

2) This combined with the NFC being down is the reason I have the NFCCG as an expectation. If TB, GB, SF, and LAR, hadn't fallen off of a cliff (that's a lot of teams), I'd have no expectation whatsoever, not even playoffs. This is the X-factor that people seem to be ignoring for some reason. It's not really about the Seahawks, but the rest of the NFC being an absolute dumpster fire.

The Roster mismangement since 2014 is real and well documented. From Horrible UFAs, selling the farm for Adams, to vapid drafts, it's all there. A Seahawks Scout leaked to the media that Pete was Al Davis'ing drafts in the past. Most surmise the '22 draft was a JS draft through and through.

I'm also such a hater that I praised the '22 draft after it went down. I was skeptical going into it of course based on their dubious draft history the previous decade, but came away impressed. The Abe Lucas pick in particular being the most impressive at the time. And thinking the 2 corners they took in the 5th had a chance to be pretty good given Pete's expertise with DBs. Their front 7 picks leave a lot to be desired and haven't hit on one since Frank Clark in 2015 and J. Reed 2016 if you lower the bar.
You make the consistent mistake of forgetting how quickly things can change.

Teams get hot. Teams get cold. The Bucs looked absolutely mortal in 2020 midway through. The effing BENGALS made it in 2021!

You also make the consistent mistake of thinking success is a given. There is absolutely no way in which you can spin the NFCCG as a reasonable expectation for a team you were so miserably low on that you'd junkyard dog anyone who dared say they might even end up average. No way. You lose all credibility, in several ways, by even suggesting that.

This is a league of parity, and even the best teams (besides the outlier Patriots) struggle to just pull conference championships out of their asses in transition years, believe it or not. Even juggernauts fail to get there with any consistency, much less win them.

This isn't Madden, and your pie-in-the-sky view of this sport is not grounded in reality.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Pete's the greatest, but don't have an expectation for him to deliver when the iron is hot in a down NFC.

He is also coach of the year, but don't expect him to make a run in the playoffs.

Makes sense.

Makes sense.

Other than Belichick who would be listed in your top 5 of coaches?
- McVay - Only been to two NFCCG (won both and has a 1-1 record in the SB). Same record as Pete.
- McDermott - Hasn't gotten past AFCCG yet. Even though he has top 5 QB, Top 5 WR, and top 5 defense.
- Andy Reid - Same as McVay and Pete. He has a top 5 QB. Not a top 5 defense though.
- Doug Pederson - Only 1 SB and 1 NFCCG game.
- Matt LaFleur - Hasn't gotten past the NFCCG yet. Probably wouldn't have gone that far if not for Rodgers and Adams (no Adams this year and Rodgers looks lost).

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Pete's a SB winning Coach that has more rookie starters than any other team and is over performing everyone's expectations, including yous, but he sucks. ...also makes sense.

Daboll is definitely in the argument. However, he should be fired if the Giants don't win the NFCC in this off year.
No where in my OP did I say Pete sucks if he doesn't make the NFCCG. I was just pointing out I don't have any faith or trust in him. Which is purely, based on his history going back to 2015 in the playoffs (7+ seasons.) Watching him get outcoached by Jason Garrett is hard to unsee.

Pete has obviously bought himself more time with these current results. The question is will he do anything with it? You don't seem to think so, 1st round early exit upcoming, even though simultaneously you think he is coach of the year. I think they could actually do it given the NFC landscape, but I guess not.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
No where in my OP did I say Pete sucks if he doesn't make the NFCCG. I was just pointing out I don't have any faith or trust in him. Which is purely, based on his history going back to 2015 in the playoffs (7+ seasons.) Watching him get outcoached by Jason Garrett is hard to unsee.

Pete has obviously bought himself more time with these current results. The question is will he do anything with it? You don't seem to think so, 1st round early exit upcoming, even though simultaneously you think he is coach of the year. I think they could actually do it given the NFC landscape, but I guess not.
It's possible, but it's unrealistic to expect it.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
3-5, tied for sixth in the league and not as bad as you seem to think it is
With a franchise QB, that is pretty bad actually. Missed the playoffs entirely the other 2 years. Mike McCarthy got his walking papers with more wins after their first super bowl.

If Pete had done that with Jimmy G or TJack at QB that would be sort of impressive.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
With a franchise QB, that is pretty bad actually. Missed the playoffs entirely the other 2 years. Mike McCarthy got his walking papers with more wins after their first super bowl.

If Pete had done that with Jimmy G or TJack at QB that would be sort of impressive.
I just can't care that much. It's disappointing, but its small sample. Large sample win percentage continues to be well within top 10 in said timeframe... also sixth in the league.

And now - this. A pretty undeniably good fantastic coaching job. Pete, time and time again, rises from the ashes.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Not going to get too high in the highs or low in the lows this year.
But the reality is that we normally lose that Cards game and that Chargers game.

Cards give us fits at home and the Chargers seem to regularly beat us as well.
It is a great sign they are winning games they normally lose.

We just needed an average defense. The last 2 games, we have at least gotten that.

That should be all that matters. So seeing how the defense shakes out will determine the rest.

Might as well see if we continue to improve.
Asking this team to be some kind of playoff threat is a high bar that makes no sense. The Seahawks are better than expected that should be all anyone cares about.

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
4-3...Oh, wait...I misread that question. I thought it said "What is PC's most important record right now"?

Not sure on the actual question...age will do that to one's ability to rember things but also allows one to focus on what is really important.

I wonder what his record at USC was between 2007 &, uh 2009? Or his record with the Pats? Jets?

Nunya

Reaction score
There you go, cherry picking again. That is like asking what Belichick's playoff record is since 2019. Or Tomlin's playoff record since 2009. Or Andy Reid's playoff record before 2019.

You seem to act like Carroll lost every game all by himself. Coaches can help players achieve their highest level of performance, but they do not play the game for them. You might know a little bit about football (I'm guessing from Madden), but you really seem to not understand "the game" and "the game" within professional football in particular....and you prove it more and more every time you post. If you did, then you would know that the number one factor influencing whether a team wins or loses is player execution. You can have the absolute best play calling and even the best coaches, but one busted play...one missed assignment...one injury to a key player...or one badly timed penalty can and often does change the direction of the game. The NFL is very competitive. This is proven EVERY SINGLE SEASON. At the start of each season, almost every fans says "this could be our year". At the beginning of the playoffs, most fans of 12 teams (now 14) thinks their team has a great chance of going to an even winning the SB. But in reality, less than half (44%) of the teams will make the playoffs and only 1 team (0.03%) will actually win the SB.

Based on what you post, you put out the impression that you think if a coach does not take their team to the playoffs each season or doesn't advance to later rounds in the playoffs then they are a failure and could never be successful in future playoffs or winning the SB. Almost as if you think they forgot everything they know about football after a couple of unsuccessful seasons.

I don't know where your hatred of PC came from. Were you a Husky fan with an ingrained hatred of PC from his USC days? Did he run over your dog? Date your ex? Pissed in your Wheaties? No matter, but the stats do not support your narrative. The opinion of other coaches do not support you narrative (PC is highly regarded by his peers). The opinions of most of the players that have played for him does not support your narrative. In fact there is really absolutely nothing that supports your narrative.

This team is playing well at this time. Who knows, they may explode and not win another game this season....or they may go on to win the SB. In any case, while PC will get credit or blame either way, it will be the players that win or lose any particular game.

Latest posts