We have 8 picks this year, but how many players we will draft?

toffee

Reaction score
John likes to keep himself busy on draft days with trade downs and trade ups. With all his draft day movements, how many players we will draft this year? I like to speculate 10, we will trade down three times and trade up once, what do you think? I think he will keep the #9 pick, but he will move one of the two second rounders, if not both.

I would like to think that we will draft a RB, an OT, 2 LBs, 1 DT, 1 DE, 1 CB, 1 OL, 1 safety, 1 kicker.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
I'll guess the Hawks trade down with pick one, then trade back up later on. We'll probably end up with 9 total picks.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
I'll guess the Hawks trade down with pick one, then trade back up later on. We'll probably end up with 9 total picks.
I think most 12s do not believe we will just draft 8 picks, not with John the trader :)

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
I think most 12s do not believe we will just draft 8 picks, not with John the trader :)

Could be, Toffee, that's why I went with 9! He's also been known to trade back up, and even to sit somewhat still in places.

Chuckwow

Reaction score
I doubt our FO would ever succumb to the desires of our fanbase. That's never smart. But I hope they don't stay at 9 just to appease us with a big name. Maybe a make up call as many are unhappy with the loss of Wilson.

I'm torn. I'm one of those fans that do want a marquee player. At the same time, I don't trust these two to pick the right guy. I mean, you can't put any stock in the mocks, and neither will they, but in more than one mock I've seen us picking Malik Willis at 9. That would upset me (and I mean no disrespect to those that want him).

I feel like if Cross and Gardner are gone maybe we could trade down and grab Jordan Davis with our first pick.

I don't have the Jimmy Johnson formula in front of me but if that trade down warrants us receiving an extra 2 (?), maybe we could pkg a couple 2s + and move back into the 1st and grab a mauler like Tyler Smith. I'd be pretty happy with that first round and we'd have that 5th year option on them both.

Great thread topic, Toffee!

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I’m going with 6. I think they will package our two 2nd to move up 10 spots and picks someone that could have gotten by staying put.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
John likes to keep himself busy on draft days with trade downs and trade ups. With all his draft day movements, how many players we will draft this year? I like to speculate 10, we will trade down three times and trade up once, what do you think? I think he will keep the #9 pick, but he will move one of the two second rounders, if not both.

I would like to think that we will draft a RB, an OT, 2 LBs, 1 DT, 1 DE, 1 CB, 1 OL, 1 safety, 1 kicker.
I agree with this. I think it will be 10 picks. I believe they will use pick #9. They haven't picked that high since 2010. One or possibly both early 2nd rounders may be traded to add more later on. Considering what they did last year with less than a handful of picks going in, this year they are sitting on a crapload of capital. Either way its going to be interesting to watch. I'm looking forward to them being early participants on day 1. Regardless of how they got there, it does make the draft more interesting from an actual team perspective.

Scout

Reaction score
To revamp the defense to a 3-4 look and to take advantage of the depth of this draft a trade down is very, very likely. I agree that at trade down from the first pick isn't a guarantee though.

NJlargent

Reaction score
I don't care how many picks they make. I just hope they finally get it halfway right after 8 years

xray

Reaction score
It wouldn't surprise me if they take those 8 and end up picking 10 .

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I have done more than 500 PFN mocks wasting time with my own preconceptions and with a few creative trade backs the team winds up with more picks than they go into the draft, usually they end up with 10, at least one edge rusher from the top rank, more than one OT (1 early and 1 late), 1 or 2 highly athletic LBs, 2 CBS, and alternate between OC/G types, RBs, DB hybrid types depending on their relative value.

I don’t usually waste a pick on a QB unless it’s the very last pick, the Norte Dame QB is a usual late pick. The draft quality in terms of “draft expert value” drops sharply when the team reaches a QB early as does the number of players.

It’s a pretty deep draft, there a more than a few quality players available late in the draft. To get a sense of pick values look at numerous sites to makeup your own mind. There is inevitable group thought that always creeps in.

Last edited:

chrispy

Reaction score
Fewer picks could also mean a trade into next year. I think it's safe to say JS, historically, trades back more than up. With the QB position in transition and tape still short on some of the players because of covid season, I could see (... expect to see) JS trading into next year multiple times. In addition, putting some of the RWilson draft value on ice for a year will take some of the pressure off whomever is chosen. I'm guessing 8 this year with 2 additional next year from trade-backs. Add in 2023 comp picks (hopefully), additional picks from RW trades (and maybe others between now and then) and it could be a lot to look forward to in 12 months.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Fewer picks could also mean a trade into next year. I think it's safe to say JS, historically, trades back more than up. With the QB position in transition and tape still short on some of the players because of covid season, I could see (... expect to see) JS trading into next year multiple times. In addition, putting some of the RWilson draft value on ice for a year will take some of the pressure off whomever is chosen. I'm guessing 8 this year with 2 additional next year from trade-backs. Add in 2023 comp picks (hopefully), additional picks from RW trades (and maybe others between now and then) and it could be a lot to look forward to in 12 months.
That is a smart analysis!

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
I would be disappointed if we invest heavily in skill positions on offense, except RB. I would be equally disappointed if we don't invest in OL and DL.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind them taking fewer players if they wound up with a few more 2023 picks. I do feel like picking at #9 is a mistake this year given our many needs and how deep the second, third, and fourth rounds seem to be.

In my view we could draft a player at every position but punter. TE would probably get the most pushback, but I'd love to pick up Woods or Kolar as huge possession targets if either was available at 152/153.