Wagner and KJ Wright are 2 out of 3 what we need 3rd spot?

Tokadub

Reaction score
I totally disagree with everyone who says that having KJ Wright on our team is a problem IN ANY WAY!

We have a long history of 3 solid line backers with Pete Carroll. I don't think we've even scratched the surface of even coming close too potential success without 3 solid line backers!

We have 1 option for 3 solid line backers this season:

Bobby Wagner, KJ Wright, (insert 3rd piece).

Whether it's Jordyn Brooks or Cody Barton that's the question. WE ALL KNOW BOBBY WAGNER AND KJ WRIGHT ARE OUR BEST 2 GUYS HANDS DOWN!

The chemistry those 2 have is so much greater than any half step advantage on some random play!

Jordyn Brooks seems too raw to me from what I've seen... he seems overrated. I DO NOT TRUST HIM TO MAKE A GAME WINNING PLAY IN PASS PROTECTION... I do trust KJ WRIGHT.

Show me one game where Jordyn wasn't a coin flip on the field? He's similar to Jamal Adams in that regard a very hit or miss player compared to KJ and Bobby who are super solid and consistent.

I've got to say it Jordyn is very inconsistent like Jamal Adams but he doesn't make big plays very often. It seems like a freak accident when Jordyn makes a great play compared to Jamal Adams who does it regularly.

Cody Barton is hard to judge, seems solid but like I've said... THE QUESTION IS WHO IS THE 3RD LINEBACKER BEHIND KJ AND BOBBY???

AgentDib

Reaction score
Our third linebacker resembles a defensive end in many of the alignments that we run (4-3 under, 4-3 bear, 4-3 under covered). Darrell Taylor is our first choice there due to his pass rush ability, but KJ is definitely still on the table if they can come to terms.

The only problem with KJ is that he made a well-deserved $8m last season and $46m overall. There's not much incentive for him to take a huge cut in salary to play on a cheap veteran deal, even though that's what the market is offering at the moment.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Tokadub":3ubw49gx said:
I totally disagree with everyone who says that having KJ Wright on our team is a problem IN ANY WAY!

We have a long history of 3 solid line backers with Pete Carroll. I don't think we've even scratched the surface of even coming close too potential success without 3 solid line backers!

We have 1 option for 3 solid line backers this season:

Bobby Wagner, KJ Wright, (insert 3rd piece).

Whether it's Jordyn Brooks or Cody Barton that's the question. WE ALL KNOW BOBBY WAGNER AND KJ WRIGHT ARE OUR BEST 2 GUYS HANDS DOWN!

The chemistry those 2 have is so much greater than any half step advantage on some random play!

Jordyn Brooks seems too raw to me from what I've seen... he seems overrated. I DO NOT TRUST HIM TO MAKE A GAME WINNING PLAY IN PASS PROTECTION... I do trust KJ WRIGHT.

Show me one game where Jordyn wasn't a coin flip on the field? He's similar to Jamal Adams in that regard a very hit or miss player compared to KJ and Bobby who are super solid and consistent.

I've got to say it Jordyn is very inconsistent like Jamal Adams but he doesn't make big plays very often. It seems like a freak accident when Jordyn makes a great play compared to Jamal Adams who does it regularly.

Cody Barton is hard to judge, seems solid but like I've said... THE QUESTION IS WHO IS THE 3RD LINEBACKER BEHIND KJ AND BOBBY???
It all comes down to the salary cap. Still got to pay Brown, still got to pay Diggs, and eventually Russ and DK.
Only so many “cap dollars” to go around.

Own The West

Reaction score
The answer to your question is irrelevant. KJ is not on the team. We're going with Taylor, Wagner, and Brooks.

He was a good player and a great guy. Be glad he's leaving Seattle with his health and a good reputation.

In 2023 Bobby becomes a UFA at age 33, one year older than KJ is now. I want you to start preparing yourself that he may move on at that point. It's the nature of the game.

Not trying to be a jerk here, just pointing out that Change is the only constant in life.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Alton has shown good stuff at SAM. Darrell Taylor plays with his hair on fire speed, but is pretty glacial in getting off the snap, or at least was in game 2 (I havent gotten to watch 3 yet.)

KJ is... nice to have. He played well at SAM despite it being an extremely different role to his career at WILL, and I'd contend its the most impressive he's ever been in his career - but at the same time, a Leo-style guy bringing pass rush to that spot does seriously raise the ceiling on the defense.

Sentimentality aside, I'm fine with them rolling without KJ, unless it turns out to be a dumpster fire. Then, might as well give him one last year.

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
Own The West":3u7b9w4q said:
The answer to your question is irrelevant. KJ is not on the team. We're going with Taylor, Wagner, and Brooks.

He was a good player and a great guy. Be glad he's leaving Seattle with his health and a good reputation.

In 2023 Bobby becomes a UFA at age 33, one year older than KJ is now. I want you to start preparing yourself that he may move on at that point. It's the nature of the game.

Not trying to be a jerk here, just pointing out that Change is the only constant in life.

Well this seems like a change 1 season too soon. I just can't see this team succeeding with 2 unproven guys at LB.

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2htmr54n said:
but at the same time, a Leo-style guy bringing pass rush to that spot does seriously raise the ceiling on the defense.

I don't know if we should need any more pass rush since we already have Jamal Adams a safety with more sacks than any safety pretty much...

I'd rather have someone who knows our scheme, can be at the right place at the right time like KJ proved time and time again last season.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Tokadub":2woc78e7 said:
Maelstrom787":2woc78e7 said:
but at the same time, a Leo-style guy bringing pass rush to that spot does seriously raise the ceiling on the defense.

I don't know if we should need any more pass rush since we already have Jamal Adams a safety with more sacks than any safety pretty much...

I'd rather have someone who knows our scheme, can be at the right place at the right time like KJ proved time and time again last season.

No. The SAM is an edge-setting spot that plays essentially on the DL. Pass rush ability is a key desired skill for the position regardless of Jamal Adams.

The Breh

Reaction score
OP's got zero faith in Brooks and I'm not sure it's completely warranted. I'm fully confident he's capable of making a game changing play. He just hasn't had the opportunity.
I, personally, thought KJ played his best ball in his whole Hawks tenure last year.
It's also an ever changing team year to year and part of what we didn't spend on KJ has allowed us to resign Adam's and fill an extreme need at LG.
While KJ is the proven commodity, I get it.
The team is getting faster with Taylor and Brooks.
I've got more faith in the front of our defense than I've had in years.
I think Taylor and Brooks will surprise the folks who aren't quite as convinced they can find themselves in our system and make their names known.

getnasty

Reaction score
There's no battle between Brooks and Barton. The decision was between Barton and KJ.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
getnasty":26vx2pvp said:
There's no battle between Brooks and Barton. The decision was between Barton and KJ.

Can't say I agree. Think it was more about them wanting a more prototypical SAM.