KJ Wright on the Rams loss

mistaowen

Reaction score

40 minute video but well worth listening to. I really like the way KJ talks on the game both as a fan now and as a former defensive player who lived the Pete Carroll system.

Worried this one hurts the locker room. Defense dominated for 3.5 quarters, holding Matt Stafford and McVay to ~80 yards by the fourth quarter is incredible. Offense way too much talent to not be scoring TD's. Pete thrives in adversity but not necessarily sure this group can take this and grow from it. Championship caliber teams don't lose to bad Rams teams.

Jason Myers scored more points than the offense for 3 straight weeks. Completely unacceptable.

Lot of blame (in his opinion) falls at the feet of Waldron and it is now on Pete Carroll to get Waldron in line. Players won't speak up (doesn't think there is a veteran voice who will), Pete needs to correct him. (not in this video but I watched Pete's interview today and he is very frustrated they are 27th in rushing attempts)
-Shares same sentiment a lot of us do that the offense is way too vanilla, especially after the opening drive. From the stands he knew what play was coming every down, common problem every week. He shouldn't be retired and able to call out plays before they happen. Far too much talent in that group to look as bad as they do.
-Carroll needs to get involved in game planning: Red zone, third down, play design, all unacceptable. Waldron needs to get WAY better or else there's a lot more pain coming given the horrific schedule. Not ready to write the season off by any means, lot of talent on this team
-Even when they try to look creative (TE's in backfield for example), it is simple to diagnose since they have no tendency breakers. Wherever one of them goes, KJ immediately knew what the play was. Every defense in the NFL will know this too.
-Watching Seahawks offense is eye opening compared to the more inventive ones around the league, big concern for him. Play design way, way too vanilla. Lots of ways to get their stars into winnable situations but they don't seem to do it, doesn't have an answer.
-Has no idea why Waldron continues to call deep passing routes on third and short (saw a stat we have the 3rd lowest run rate on third and short in the NFL). He actually laughed and was flabbergasted at this, really wishes he had an answer.

JSN gonna be special, big fan of him. Looks like he is always open, things like getting both feet in on that first quarter pass will come over time.

Loves the young guys on both sides of the ball, feels JSN and Witherspoon are stars

Pete is HC and tells Waldron what to do coming into the game but he doesn't make any play calls or tell Geno where to throw. Offensive staff has a lot of meetings to create a philosophy each week, that philosophy for awhile has been terrible. Similar to above, time for Pete to step in and ask what the hell is Waldron doing?

49ers know who they are and have talent everywhere, will be a big test if Seahawks can bounce back or this snowballs.

Doesn't think the offense has any vets who will say this is unacceptable. Knows the defense has some guys who will (Bobby, Jamal, Diggs). Feels the defense will have to carry the torch going forward - no slacking in practice, jobs are on the line now, calling out any BS, etc. Concerned that (from what he can see) no one on offense seems to have this mentality.

Last edited:

cymatica

Reaction score
That's actually worse than Waldo not using tight ends or running enough. This says he's fundamentally bad at play design and play calling, something that can't just be fixed mid season. Imo, he's not ready to be a coordinator. Pete's going to lose the team and sabotage them next season unless he makes a big change and makes it quick. He won't though.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I think it’s time for Tyler to step up. I know it’s not his style but the dudes been balling for nearly a decade. He needs to hold a players only meeting with the offense and get themselves righted.

cymatica

Reaction score
I think it’s time for Tyler to step up. I know it’s not his style but the dudes been balling for nearly a decade. He needs to hold a players only meeting with the offense and get themselves righted.
This is more on Waldron than the players

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
KJs show is great. We get to hear from an actual player instead of listening to more pants on head crazy crap from the local conspiracy theory junkies.

Shane needs to either fix this or get the hell out of town.

OP
OP
mistaowen

mistaowen

Reaction score
KJs show is great. We get to hear from an actual player instead of listening to more pants on head crazy crap from the local conspiracy theory junkies.

Shane needs to either fix this or get the hell out of town.

Yeah, this was the most direct I can recall KJ ever being about the issues he's seeing. Usually he's light, they'll get it fixed, Pete has his system and watching tape can lead to learning, etc. Obviously he's a defensive guy but the stuff he is seeing is how he'd prep for opposing teams. Sounds like he isn't impressed by Waldron at this point in his tenure and is at a breaking point that Pete has to address.

hoxrox

Reaction score
I respect KJ's opinion. As former NFL player, who diagnosed offenses for a living, if he says the play calling or play design is not good enough, then I agree with him.

Polk738

Reaction score
If KJ is seeing how predictable it is from the stands then you know damn well coaches and film junkies are figuring it out as well

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
If KJ is seeing how predictable it is from the stands then you know damn well coaches and film junkies are figuring it out as well
Ravens DBs were running the routes for us it was so bad.