UPDATE: Seahawks traded for Percy Harvin

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeak

Reaction score
People who don't have migraines or don't know someone close don't understand how it can shut someone down. It can. This isn't some made up disease by people that don't want to work some people can barely walk. Many have had it "cured" once the cause could be identified and even regular migraines have pretty good medication these days.

it is not a fibromyalgia disease that can't be diagnosed and magically never goes away (someone will be mad at me now)

mikeak

Reaction score
Hawksfan78":1rxn9y11 said:
Smart move if we can keep him for a reasonable salary. But giving up a 1st, 7th this year, and a 4th or 5th next year for a one year rental is a bit much. I wonder if they are already in contract negotiations with him.

There is no deal if there is no new contract so I would think so........

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hawksfan78":1ghb750r said:
Smart move if we can keep him for a reasonable salary. But giving up a 1st, 7th this year, and a 4th or 5th next year for a one year rental is a bit much. I wonder if they are already in contract negotiations with him.

multiple sources have said (and it's been mentioned in this thread) that he is coming to Seattle for a physical and that contract negotiations were a part of the trade agreement. You have to assume that there have been discussions and that the front office knows what type of contract Harvin is looking for, so it's just a matter of negotiating the details and putting pen to paper. The more important part is the physical.

General Manager

Reaction score
Hawksfan78":3orvz96v said:

Do you really believe they brought him in to be a 1year rent a player .

kearly

Reaction score
This trade does not surprise me. The pricetag does, a little bit, but not the trade itself. Golden Tate is the prototypical John Schneider WR, and Tate is very often compared to a lesser version of Percy Harvin.

Three receivers last year felt undefendable when we played them: Welker, Marshall, and Harvin. Harvin is very hard to defend on quicker throws, and as such makes an ideal slot WR in our offense.

I think we overpaid. But I also think that we overpaid for Zach Miller too, and Miller really helped us out last year. Another way to look at it- had Seattle traded up for Cordarrelle Patterson they are probably paying a heavier draft pick cost than what they paid for Harvin. The money is the part that hurts, so we'll see how Seattle handles this new contract especially since they might be forced to fix the pass rush before the draft now without that #25 overall.

The only bummer draft wise is that I'll probably have to say sayonara to Datone Jones and Ryan Swope as realistic options. Sylvester Williams, Kawann Short, Brandon Williams and Corey Lemonier look like the front runners at #58.

If I was Sidney Rice, Zach Miller, Leon Washington, Matt Flynn, or possibly even Red Bryant, I'd be very anxious right now. I think the odds of those players being restructured/traded/released just increased.

I would not have made this move as GM. It is not the most efficient use of resources. It's hardly a Deion Branch trade though- Branch was made by Tom Brady and Harvin excelled despite mostly crappy QB play. FWIW, I was in the minority as a Branch trade hater when it happened in 2006, but this is easily a superior trade. And even if I don't like the value, I LOVE Percy Harvin the football player. He's going to make the NFL's funnest team to watch even more interesting and exciting than before. Everyone who isn't a Seahawks fan is going to wish they were next season.

General Manager

Reaction score
kearly":15pr4adm said:
This trade does not surprise me. The pricetag does, a little bit, but not the trade itself. Golden Tate is the prototypical John Schneider WR, and Tate is very often compared to a lesser version of Percy Harvin.

Three receivers last year felt undefendable when we played them: Welker, Marshall, and Harvin. Harvin is very hard to defend on quicker throws, and as such makes an ideal slot WR in our offense.

I think we overpaid. But I also think that we overpaid for Zach Miller too, and Miller really helped us out last year. Another way to look at it- had Seattle traded up for Cordarrelle Patterson they are probably paying a heavier draft pick cost than what they paid for Harvin. The money is the part that hurts, so we'll see how Seattle handles this new contract especially since they might be forced to fix the pass rush before the draft now without that #25 overall. The only bummer draft wise is that I'll probably have to say sayonara to Datone Jones and Ryan Swope as realistic options.

If I was Sidney Rice, Zach Miller, Leon Washington, Matt Flynn, or possibly even Red Bryant, I'd be very anxious right now. I think the odds of those players being restructured/traded/released just increased.

I would not have made this move as GM. It is not the most efficient use of resources. It's hardly a Deion Branch trade though- Branch was made by Tom Brady and Harvin excelled despite mostly crappy QB play. And even if I don't like the value, I LOVE Percy Harvin the football player. He's going to make the NFL's funnest team to watch even more interesting and exciting than before. Everyone who isn't a Seahawks fan is going to wish they were next season.

They obviously thought WR was a bigger need then they indicated. I like the move but have my concerns about the cost as well hopefully it's reasonable. I do think WR was a much bigger problem than some did though so i'm fine with the trade.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
mikeak":1bn4wpcu said:
People who don't have migraines or don't know someone close don't understand how it can shut someone down. It can. This isn't some made up disease by people that don't want to work some people can barely walk. Many have had it "cured" once the cause could be identified and even regular migraines have pretty good medication these days.

it is not a fibromyalgia disease that can't be diagnosed and magically never goes away (someone will be mad at me now)

interestingly enough, both disorders are best treated by a combination of psychological support (psychotherapy, stress management, etc.) and/or medications.

CPHawk

Reaction score
There is a company in Seattle that is making glasses, and they supposedly help with headaches. Wonder if Harvin will be checking those out.

Jville

Reaction score
So much for a quiet off season .... LOL

Looking forward to the ripple effect on the team as well as the ripple effect of Harvin's new contract on the team Cap. Looks to me like John Idzik got out of town just in time.

Hawksfan78

Reaction score
Hawksfan78 wrote:Smart move if we can keep him for a reasonable salary. But giving up a 1st, 7th this year, and a 4th or 5th next year for a one year rental is a bit much. I wonder if they are already in contract negotiations with him.

No, I dont believe they would. However, until the contract is signed I'm going to be skeptical about this deal, because of all the rumors that he wants Larry Fitzgerald money.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Hawksfan78":1fqqkom2 said:
Hawksfan78 wrote:Smart move if we can keep him for a reasonable salary. But giving up a 1st, 7th this year, and a 4th or 5th next year for a one year rental is a bit much. I wonder if they are already in contract negotiations with him.

No, I dont believe they would. However, until the contract is signed I'm going to be skeptical about this deal, because of all the rumors that he wants Larry Fitzgerald money.

KJR is also saying rumors that Minnesota is giving us a mid round draft pick as well. So really just giving up 1st and a 7th, and swapping mid round picks.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
volsunghawk":7v7zvuj5 said:
And the NCAA/Draft forum has to scrap its last 8 pages of threads.

Yeah those folks I was balking about regarding Tavon Austin -- I'm willing to start baking the Humble Pie and say you were certainly right in their desire to get that kind of a difference making playmaker.

I have to somewhat agree with those who are saying that this is a bit of an overpay. The 7th Rounder -- no big deal. But I mean, a 1st Round Pick AND a Mid Round Pick next year? Gooooooood Night!

But at the same time we need to ask ourselves this -- how many draft choices actually played for the 49ers last season? Now that's an important point to consider because with how set the Seahawks are at many different positions ... there is a high probability that those few players who actually make this squad will be riding the pine. So, yes on the one hand it IS a bit of an overpay ... but if those guys never see the field, is it really?

To me, this deal really says to me, "We are going for it next year." There is no build this thing and keep on building it. This is a statement move. It is an all out assault that says that the Seahawks are looking to storm the NFL's beach at Normandy and to take no prisoners. This is the kind of move that teams looking to make a Super Bowl run make (ala Green Bay in landing Reggie White ... or the 49ers signing Neon Deion Sanders). You don't make this kind of a move if you aren't at the castle gates hammering away with the battering ram and ready to break through.

This is the kind of move that will make potential free agents [or those stars whose teams want to part ways with them] out there stand up. Don't be surprised at all if all the names we've talked about (Revis, Cook, Bryant, Abraham, etc.) suddenly start banging on the Seahawks door wanting to be a part of this thing. And after so many years of being Southeast Alaska, that will be a very good thing to se

Greenhell

Reaction score
FYI,

I have to keep changing my shorts at the thought of what this team is gonna be like this upcoming season.

vikesfan

Reaction score
Hello board,
I really think this trade was a great trade for both teams.
Some points I want to point out about Percy....
1. The demise of his health is overstated. As it was pointed out he missed 3 games in 3 years. Last season he was expected to miss 1 game, had a blow up the week before and then he was placed on IR. The blow up was reportedly him telling the coach that Ponder is not good enough to be a starting QB (truth).
of 4

2. He has never had a 1000 yard season but has been in the top 3 in total yards 3 out 4 years (last year only played 8 games)
3. He has lead the league in broken tackles by a non RB every year he has been in the league. Meaning...he catches and makes the first guy miss.

4. He was an MVP candidate this season before being shut down.
5. He had Ponder throwing the ball to him. The guy had about 6 games under 100 yards passing this season and several others where he was behind and just broke the 100 yard barrier. I.E. Harvin should explode. Don't be surprise if you see everyone's stats explode due to the stress he places on defenses.

Basically... both teams won. The 7th round is throw away.

ivotuk

Reaction score
SeaTown81":3u4ke9pn said:
Thunderhawk":3u4ke9pn said:
Deion Branch Trade 2.0

The similarities between the two acquisitions are eerie.

1) Production - has not produced like a true #1 WR. Look at the stats.
2) Injury Risk
3) Malcontent
4) Size - below average. Hawks needed to get bigger at WR.
5) Salary - wants #1 WR money even though he has not earned it.

Other than #3 this looks like the Branch trade all over again. We got fleeced on this deal. If Harvin is worth a first rounder plus change then Megatron is worth 5 first rounders plus 25 million a year.

Meanwhile, Reggie Bush was available for free, would cost less and is basically Harvin-lite. Utterly bizarre trade.

Deion Branch was made by NE's offense and Tom Brady. In Minnesota Harvin had Christian Ponder and Tarvaris Jackson throwing the ball to him. Bit of a difference there. Not to mention the fact that Harvin is 3 years younger than Branch was and a million times more explosive. The only similarities you got right are WR & 1st rounder pick.

Harvin had Brett Favre throwing to him. He also had the leagues best running back keeping the defensive backs honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts