Tyler Lockett Punt/Kick Returner. The reason he was drafted?

BigMeach

Reaction score
The year was 2015...

We had not been fairing well at returner. In years past we had always been very good there, but the year prior, we really were looking for help that just wasn't there. So our front office decided to spend some capital, they went out and got 5'11 182 pound little guy out of Kansas State. He was one of the best in college at returns and pretty dang good at WR. Thus a 3rd round pick was spent and he was ours.

Noone was really sure if his size would translate at wide receiver. The main reason we were getting this guy was for his returnability. Maybe a few years down the line he'd do something for us on offense, but we wanted this guy for special teams. Boy was that an underestimation.

Who would have thought, that not only would he jump off the screen at WR right away, but that in a few short years he'd be one of the best wide receivers in the game? And pound for pound, I'd argue the best.

This guy seems to just keep getting better and better.

How exciting is it to have him on this team?

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Let's not forget, he badly broke his leg so he has overcome a lot more adversity than just moving up the depth chart to contribute on offense..

TreeRon

Reaction score
He's Wilson like in that he avoids the big hit.

OP
OP
BigMeach

BigMeach

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":3045r2rc said:
Let's not forget, he badly broke his leg so he has overcome a lot more adversity than just moving up the depth chart to contribute on offense..

Fair, I should have included that. Was really just looking back to that draft and the thoughts at the time, but when you factor in that injury it makes it even more impressive.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
BigMeach":srcekjrb said:
Hockey Guy":srcekjrb said:

Fair, I should have included that. Was really just looking back to that draft and the thoughts at the time, but when you factor in that injury it makes it even more impressive.

He's always been my wife's favorite player. She cried when he broke his leg.

massari

Reaction score
Funny some were surprised at his receiving success all because of his size when he's the all time leader in receiving yards at Kansas State (ahead of Jordy Nelson), considered one of the best route runners in his draft class, good hands, ran a 4.40 and is a "film rat".

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
After we drafts him, watching his highlights I couldn't believe he was considered a returner only. His route running was perfect, speed, cuts, hands, everything but size. He's the Russell Wilson of WRs.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Lockett is just abso-freakin-lutely amazing. How does he do what he does, at his size?
I've learned to stop questioning and doubting and just appreciate the gift of watching this incredible talent work his magic.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
olyfan63":1bm98rh2 said:
Lockett is just abso-freakin-lutely amazing. How does he do what he does, at his size?
I've learned to stop questioning and doubting and just appreciate the gift of watching this incredible talent work his magic.
Well said,

Good post OP

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":e9nh70o4 said:
He broke his leg after he was already solidified as a starter and major contributor.

I think the reason we drafted him as high as we did was because of his kick/punt return ability. We maybe sit back and grab him later otherwise.

peppersjap

Reaction score
He is way to valuable for them to continue to use him in the return game. I wish Baldwin was still playing but Lockett is filling those shoes and more.