Trading DK

massari

Reaction score
DK will be the same age as Jamal Adams when he was traded, so hopefully two 1sts and a 3rd

Fade

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me why a running team should pay a WR 25M-30M a year?

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Since when is DK at the level of Hopkins, Adams, and Kupp? I'm not convinced he is even in the second tier of receivers (Williams, Godwin, Hill, Evans)

He certainly has the potential to make it into the second tier.

Unless the entire wide receiver market moves up, he should be looking at closer to 18 million per year on a 3 to 4 year contract.

Elemas

Reaction score
Except…he’s not taking less than $20M. If we don’t pay it, someone will.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Fade":q6ymr5t4 said:

Because "running teams" still need to pass the ball, and their success will largely hinge on how well they do so, regardless of a predisposition to the running game.

I know you know this and are just being obtuse, but still.

emurri

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1qwed8ej said:
Fade":1qwed8ej said:

Because "running teams" still need to pass the ball, and their success will largely hinge on how well they do so, regardless of a predisposition to the running game.

I know you know this and are just being obtuse, but still.
I agree you need to have some balance in order to have a strong running game.

Fade

Reaction score
Can't afford to pay a QB $35M who touches the ball every play. Who distributes the ball to all the targets on the field.

But can afford to pay a WR $25M who is only 1 target, with a worse QB throwing them the ball. And touches the ball 80 times the whole season at best, due to being on a running team. Doesn't make sense to me.

120 Touches or more and making them an intricate part of what you're doing on series by series basis I could see it. Cooper Kupp, who is also a bargain price, makes sense to me. Or Even better someone like Deebo where you can line him up in the backfield and give him a handful of carries as a RB. So even if you suck at QB, he can still touch the ball, definitely.

DK making $25M, lining up outwide at X, and being ignored for large chunks of the game I'm sure will go down real well.

WRs seem to be fairly replaceable these days. 2nd & 3rd rounders are routinely popping. They get drafted and they're making an impact right away. It's not like WR is hard position to find in the draft compared to OL/DL/DB/QB Those positions are hard to find. They should pay those positions, stay rookie contract, and value based at the other positions ie pay them if you can get them at a bargain, make trades for guys that are currently a good value, etc.

Pay the premium dollar for the big guys upfront. Because that's what wins championships, not WRs. QBs pay them, too as they can keep you competitive year in and year out.

Interesting to see how this goes. DK gonna be the new Felix of the Seahawks, huh? "We gotta keep our 1 star."
or what Calvin Johnson was to the Lions, maybe a better comp.

They have to extend him soon right? Or is DK cool playing on rookie wage scale, AKA peanuts, this upcoming season?

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
I see them either extending DK to a front-loaded contract before the season starts or trading him before trade deadline this year, and nothing else.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Trafe DK? Sounds great!

In fact, let's trade everyone who has any value, including Lockett and Diggs and Adams and Dunlap for a bunch of mid-round picks. Start fresh with a team loaded with rookies and maybe some free agents no one else will sign. That'll work out well, don't you think?

I have no problems with a few terrible seasons, maybe a terrible decade to endure, especially given our history of drafting poorly. But yeah, we'll be on the road to change! Go for it! Woo-hoo!

Yxes1122

Reaction score
DK is worth a 1st+ but not (yet) worth what Adams just got.

His skill set is pretty defined at this point and if you don't have a QB with a great deep ball (Like Russ) you're unlikely to get the most out of him.

If I was the Chargers I'd be calling everyday to pair DK with Herbert. And you have Allen and Williams to give DK one-on-ones he can exploit.

What they do with DK is going to inform us on what they plan to do at QB. If they are high on a guy like Willis or Strong, you keep DK. If they are high on Corral or Pickett or Ridder, you probably look to move him.

nanomoz

Reaction score
DK is going to expect $25m APY. No way around that. If they haven't made a decision yet on whether they're going to do that, they're foolish. I would argue that waiting for DaVante to land and get a new contract was not smart.

Extend him now or trade him now. Full stop. I hope he's extended. But this is the last offseason in which Seattle will have much leverage.

The franchise-tag-and-trade never works out like you hope.

Elemas

Reaction score
Fade":1scz92tt said:
Can't afford to pay a QB $35M who touches the ball every play. Who distributes the ball to all the targets on the field.

But can afford to pay a WR $25M who is only 1 target, with a worse QB throwing them the ball. And touches the ball 80 times the whole season at best, due to being on a running team. Doesn't make sense to me.

120 Touches or more and making them an intricate part of what you're doing on series by series basis I could see it. Cooper Kupp, who is also a bargain price, makes sense to me. Or Even better someone like Deebo where you can line him up in the backfield and give him a handful of carries as a RB. So even if you suck at QB, he can still touch the ball, definitely.

DK making $25M, lining up outwide at X, and being ignored for large chunks of the game I'm sure will go down real well.

WRs seem to be fairly replaceable these days. 2nd & 3rd rounders are routinely popping. They get drafted and they're making an impact right away. It's not like WR is hard position to find in the draft compared to OL/DL/DB/QB Those positions are hard to find. They should pay those positions, stay rookie contract, and value based at the other positions ie pay them if you can get them at a bargain, make trades for guys that are currently a good value, etc.

Pay the premium dollar for the big guys upfront. Because that's what wins championships, not WRs. QBs pay them, too as they can keep you competitive year in and year out.

Interesting to see how this goes. DK gonna be the new Felix of the Seahawks, huh? "We gotta keep our 1 star."
or what Calvin Johnson was to the Lions, maybe a better comp.

They have to extend him soon right? Or is DK cool playing on rookie wage scale, AKA peanuts, this upcoming season?

As much as I love DK, this response makes absolute sense. But, fans want their cake and to eat it too.

Yes, it’s nice to have 1000+ yard receivers but realistically, paying DK $20M+ in a “run-first” offense makes zero sense.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
:180670:

Y'all predicting a 25 million APY contract extension for DK do realize that it would be roughly the same APY as the free agent contract that Davante Adams just signed, right? Right?

kf3339

Reaction score
My question with DK is attitude and somewhat of a potential diva complex. It just reminds me of other very talented WR's who get paid big and then just blow up in a really ugly way for themselves, and the team.

I certainly hope it doesn't happen, but all the signs are there to see. My guess is they keep him for this year, and then franchise sign and trade him next off-season. The risk for me is to great and the draft picks haul would be too good.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
bigskydoc":2dk22mc3 said:
:180670:

Y'all predicting a 25 million APY contract extension for DK do realize that it would be roughly the same APY as the free agent contract that Davante Adams just signed, right? Right?

Yes. Salaries rise every year. DK's extension is coming down the road and he's one of the premier wide receivers in the league. I'm of the opinion that this will become apparent in this next year. DK will be relied on heavily.

It might end up being less, but even if it is less than 25, I'm pretty sure it'll end up being more than 20.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The main factor is how negotiations are going behind the scenes between Schneider and CAA Football.

We should be able to extend Metcalf for significantly less than a comparable UFA contract. Otherwise Metcalf is due for another cheap year in 2022 and then could get franchise tagged after that, potentially multiple times. An extension is the only opportunity for Metcalf to get a huge amount of guaranteed dollars right now. That's worth way more than a payday that could be multiple uncertain years ahead in the future.

However, there's always a human element involved in this process. Maybe Metcalf doesn't like living in Seattle, or CAA is set on playing hardball for a certain figure no matter what, or the difference in how Schneider and CAA value Metcalf is irreconcilable. If an extension doesn't seem probable for whatever reason then we have to trade him, period.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2yy1f30d said:
Yes. Salaries rise every year. DK's extension is coming down the road and he's one of the premier wide receivers in the league. I'm of the opinion that this will become apparent in this next year. DK will be relied on heavily.

It might end up being less, but even if it is less than 25, I'm pretty sure it'll end up being more than 20.

A four year, 25 million APY extension would be the highest contract ever paid to a wide receiver, ever so slightly surpassing Davante Adams' recent free agent contract, when calculated on a annual salary basis.

AgentDib":2yy1f30d said:
We should be able to extend Metcalf for significantly less than a comparable UFA contract. Otherwise Metcalf is due for another cheap year in 2022 and then could get franchise tagged after that, potentially multiple times. An extension is the only opportunity for Metcalf to get a huge amount of guaranteed dollars right now. That's worth way more than a payday that could be multiple uncertain years ahead in the future..

This.

I would argue that one year of his production on his rookie contract, and potentially a second on the franchise tag, is worth more than whatever we would get in a trade.

Fade

Reaction score
Some of you guys are going to be appalled by how much DK is going to sign for.

The absolute lowest will be $22M. I am expecting $25M, wouldn't be surprised if it is above that.