Trade 5 or stay put

RiverDog

Reaction score
My preference for our #5 overall is CJ Stroud as he's the best pro ready QB out there but he's likely long gone by the time our turn comes. If there's not a QB available, I like the idea of trading down into the mid teens if we can secure another first round pick in 2024. We're more than just a player or two from challenging for a Super Bowl, so I'd love to put one of those picks in the bank.

One of the players I'll be keeping an eye on is John Michael Schmitz, a center out of Minnesota. We've needed a center ever since we traded away Max Unger, our current starter just retired, and Schmitz is one of the top centers out there. Centers don't often go very high in the draft, but we may decide to jump on him at #20.

hawker84

Reaction score
Stay at 5 and grab Carter. We don't need a qb, but I'd definitely look at Hooker if he's available in the 2nd round. But we need defense more than a qb right now, and a center and offensive guard...

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
I wonder what Seattle might get if they offer the #5 pick to the Dolphins, who don't have a first round pick this year, they might be desperate.

Last edited:

Rat

Reaction score
I wonder what Seattle might get if they offer the #5 pick to the Dolphins, who doesn't have a first round pick this year, they might be desperate.
They have nothing that would make trading them that pick worth it. They have no draft capital, and it's not like they're going to trade us some young stud like Waddle.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
If Seattle can trade down to around 9-16 and grab another first round pick, maybe next year, yes, do it.

They can pick up the Pitt kid and Lukas Van Ness (possibly).

RiverDog

Reaction score
I wonder what Seattle might get if they offer the #5 pick to the Dolphins, who don't have a first round pick this year, they might be desperate.
I don't want anything to do with Carter, at least not with our #5 overall. Too may character and work ethic concerns. But I like the idea of trading down if none of my 3 favorite QB's, ie Stroud, Richardson, and Levis, along with Will Anderson, are all off the board.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Outside of the obvious tragedy of the death of his teammate, his "work ethic concerns" are bs.

CactusJack

Reaction score
I want a ferocious D-line. This team desperately needs a game wrecker along the front. You don't win in this league without one. Adding either Anderson or Carter would be potentially lifechanging for this team.

Last edited:

renofox

Reaction score
If they don't get a QBOTF, they need to trade for future rd1 picks.

renofox

Reaction score
We have the QBOTF. His name is Geno Smith.
And in a few years when the Seahawks have assembled a great team and Old Geno falls off a cliff like 99.9% of 35yo QBs AND the Seahawks have not developed their next QB?

3-10 years of non-competitiveness while searching because they didn't plan ahead, and the same fans against planning ahead now are whining because they didn't plan ahead "back then".

Instant gratification has drawbacks.

JPatera76

Reaction score
Well now with 5 or 20 it’ll be imo a combo of a DL/DE and a RB. Since Penny is headed to Philly

SonicHawk

Reaction score
And in a few years when the Seahawks have assembled a great team and Old Geno falls off a cliff like 99.9% of 35yo QBs AND the Seahawks have not developed their next QB?

3-10 years of non-competitiveness while searching because they didn't plan ahead, and the same fans against planning ahead now are whining because they didn't plan ahead "back then".

Instant gratification has drawbacks.
Drafting the 4th ranked QB doesn't prevent 3-10 years of non-competitiveness. You are wasting the next 3 years by not drafting for immediate need when you're already a playoff team. Draft a top QB when you need a QB.

renofox

Reaction score
Drafting the 4th ranked QB doesn't prevent 3-10 years of non-competitiveness. You are wasting the next 3 years by not drafting for immediate need when you're already a playoff team. Draft a top QB when you need a QB.
You are correct - there is no guarantee that drafting a QB high will net you a starter. In fact, you have less than a 50% chance of being successful.

But that's an infinitely higher chance than the 0% chance you have over not drafting one at all, and a 1000% higher chance than drafting a late-round QB (assuming under 5% success rate).

It also gives you a head start on finding your next QB. Waiting until you absolutely need one almost guarantees years of horrible team performance.

If PCJS don't believe in the options available to them this year, they'll need the capital for future years to get one instead of giving up almost an entire year's draft capital to get who they want.

That's worth a lot more than a gamble on a player in this draft class whose top non-QB talent is sub-par compared to most years.

CDN_C_Hawk

Reaction score
Only team really willing to trade out of top 5 is AZ , and they could trade with LVR move to #7 and still get Wilson/Anderson/Carter....meaning the QB's are gone , so trade back 5 or 6 spots pick up another 2nd 3rd maybe. Before he was injured, was said, Hooker was the most pro ready and he'd have been a top 3...so grab him in 2nd , and he can heal and learn for a year. Beese , Clancey would be great DL additions.
With having 10 picks this year..... getting more isn't that important, other than having capital to move up later.

Kinger95

Reaction score
No team is gonna give up a ton of draft capital to trade for 5 if they want a qb because someone else could trade to 3 with the cards and leap over them and the top 4 qbs would all be gone by 5. Right now our pick doesn’t have value to any other team particularly until Arizona goes up and makes pick 3 and it’s not a qb. Then we have to take advantage and trade down to a team that wants the last of the top 4 QB’s .

WarHawks

Reaction score
We need a long term qbotf to sit behind Geno for a year or two. Whether they pick him at 5 or later is the only question. And if Geno surpasses expectations and takes us to and actually wins a sb? Then yayy, good for us. We would still have a talented backup plan or trade ammo. With the Reed and Jones signings, I'd say the chances are 50/50 or slightly better that they pull the trigger on a qb at 5. Just my opinion, but they sure don't shoot it down when asked about it.

Latest posts