Top Tier QBs…”Pass” on Seattle?

John63

Reaction score
The standard for RW is not fine or average. RW has to overcome a lot more hurdles playing in a brutal division and a stacked AFC while playing for a mega contract in the near future. I think he is capable of helping the Broncos win games that Teddy couldn't will his team to win. But Teddy was also a steady eddie to help keep Broncos in close games. I am not sure Wilson can do that anymore so that will be determined.

Doing NFL average is the standard for Geno or Lock which is far more easier for either to be able to climb as both players haven't started 32-34 NFL games. It takes about 32-34 NFL games to really be able to judge a QB's ability to play in this league.

Mariota for example has started 61 NFL games. Mariota could have a comeback career in ATL as they have added more talent on offense but for the most part he is known not to push the ball downfield but is lethal delivering the ball to TEs up the seem.

Winston has started 77 NFL games and he looked like he gave up his Super hero antics to play more like a game manager with the Saints. Less turnovers while moving the chains and helping his team win.

With the rule changes and how the league favors offenses talented young QBs can improve over time. The question is what is the ceiling on Lock? And as for old man Geno he still might have something left in the tank. Do not know until you explore further and see what they can and can not do.

The standard for RW is not fine or average. RW has to overcome a lot more hurdles playing in a brutal division and a stacked AFC while playing for a mega contract in the near future. I think he is capable of helping the Broncos win games that Teddy couldn't will his team to win. But Teddy was also a steady eddie to help keep Broncos in close games. I am not sure Wilson can do that anymore so that will be determined.

Doing NFL average is the standard for Geno or Lock which is far more easier for either to be able to climb as both players haven't started 32-34 NFL games. It takes about 32-34 NFL games to really be able to judge a QB's ability to play in this league.

Mariota for example has started 61 NFL games. Mariota could have a comeback career in ATL as they have added more talent on offense but for the most part he is known not to push the ball downfield but is lethal delivering the ball to TEs up the seem.

Winston has started 77 NFL games and he looked like he gave up his Super hero antics to play more like a game manager with the Saints. Less turnovers while moving the chains and helping his team win.

With the rule changes and how the league favors offenses talented young QBs can improve over time. The question is what is the ceiling on Lock? And as for old man Geno he still might have something left in the tank. Do not know until you explore further and see what they can and can not do.
Hate to bust your bubble but even RWs worst season will be a huge improvement for Denver and let's remember all his stats were with him only avg 473 attempts and ranked 20th in attempts

The year were he got the most attempts which was 10th in attemtps he was
69% complt
4212 yards
40 tds
105 passer

To put that in perspective that would be, base don last year league numbers
3rd in complt %
10th in yards
3rd in tds
3rd in Passer

That will get it done and was the last full season he played in 2020.

Oh and he had 513 yards rushing, and 2tds as well.

Denver will be great at Qb us not so much

hawkfan68

Reaction score

Geno has started 34 games through his career -
GS column = Games Started.

toffee

Reaction score
Hate to bust your bubble but even RWs worst season will be a huge improvement for Denver and let's remember all his stats were with him only avg 473 attempts and ranked 20th in attempts

69% complt
4212 yards
40 tds
105 passer

3rd in complt %
10th in yards
3rd in tds
3rd in Passer

Want to talk stats? Apple to apple here, both Russ and Teddy played 14 games in 2021. Teddy suffered more hurries, more blitz, higher QB pressure and yet completed more passes. Even their sack numbers were similar. So much for Bronco's OL.
GCmpAtt%YdsSacksPocket timeBltzHrryHitsPrssPress%ScrmYds/Scr
Teddy Bridgewater1428542666.90%3052312.5118644213729.00%156.6
Russell Wilson*1425940064.75%3113332.4113484212327.00%237.3

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
What top QB is available that we're concerned about? I think our next top QB will probably be next years top draft pick (barring a very surprising performance from Geno or Drew)....and any of them should be THRILLED to be drafted by the Seahawks. Look what happened to the last QB on a rookie contract that the Seahawks drafted. Russell was an up and coming talent in the last Seahawks Super Bowls, not a top tier QB. If we build the defense this year and next, along with drafting that future franchise QB, and follow the same pattern, we'd all be pretty darn thrilled. The draft this year was all I could have hoped to start that process.
Wish I could like this post 10X.

John63

Reaction score
While I agree with the sentiment, I highly doubt that they will be able to do it. When PC first did it he had a huge advantage. He knew all the guys in college. They got lucky with a few Fas. We have not drafted well or Fa well since 2015.

GemCity

Reaction score
Yah….the date when the thread was posted and that particular reply don’t match context wise. It was free agency…

As for any college QB, I wouldn’t consider anyone to be Top Tier by NFL standards. I’m sure anyone we take will be hyped and ready to go as a Hawk.

I pray it’s Will Levis.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
While I agree with the sentiment, I highly doubt that they will be able to do it. When PC first did it he had a huge advantage. He knew all the guys in college. They got lucky with a few Fas. We have not drafted well or Fa well since 2015.
So you don't like this year's draft?

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
We did this year, and last year's class was no slouch either, although Eskridge hasn't had a chance to show what he can do. I think we are on a definite upswing and next year should put an exclamation point on it.
The QB class this year was neither deep nor stellar, but next year's class appears to be both.

Jegpeg

Reaction score
Look what happened to the last QB on a rookie contract that the Seahawks drafted. Russell was an up and coming talent in the last Seahawks Super Bowls, not a top tier QB. If we build the defense this year and next, along with drafting that future franchise QB, and follow the same pattern, we'd all be pretty darn thrilled. The draft this year was all I could have hoped to start that process.
The last QB on a rookie contract that the Seahawks drafts was Alex McGough

John63

Reaction score
We did this year, and last year's class was no slouch either, although Eskridge hasn't had a chance to show what he can do. I think we are on a definite upswing and next year should put an exclamation point on it.
The QB class this year was neither deep nor stellar, but next year's class appears to be both.
Well for one we don't know about this year at all yet.

As to last year
Ahh who here is anything but avg to below avg
Eskridge who had a whole 4 rush attempts, 10 pass, and played in only 10 games
Brown he of the whopping 10 tackles in 5 games
Forsythe played in only 10 games, only 14 snaps.

None of the one's last year as of now have done squat

John63

Reaction score
The last QB on a rookie contract that the Seahawks drafts was Alex McGough
In Seattle History we have taken 18 QBs and only 1 has worked out that's a .05% yeah not good that said. Now Wilson was the 17th. since then we have taken 1 Qb so 16 more before we hit again.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I certainly hope not. To be stuck in a Cleveland/Cincie loop of drafting one 1st rd bust after another seems to be an awful and highly negative way of thinking about restocking the position.

Jn’P were pretty good at recognizing RW, and expressed draft interest in both Allen and Mahommes, something that got RWs camp annoyed.

I think the RW replacement will be found but odds are the player will never be as talented as Wilson although serviceable and more than adequate.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
In Seattle History we have taken 18 QBs and only 1 has worked out that's a .05% yeah not good that said. Now Wilson was the 17th. since then we have taken 1 Qb so 16 more before we hit again.

Uh, one out of eighteen is 5.6%. 0.05% would be one out of 2000.

But it's kind of silly to hold the performance of completely unrelated front offices against the current front office.

Schneider has drafted two QBs: Russell Wilson and Alex McGough.

keasley45

Reaction score
Want to talk stats? Apple to apple here, both Russ and Teddy played 14 games in 2021. Teddy suffered more hurries, more blitz, higher QB pressure and yet completed more passes. Even their sack numbers were similar. So much for Bronco's OL.
GCmpAtt%YdsSacksPocket timeBltzHrryHitsPrssPress%ScrmYds/Scr
Teddy Bridgewater1428542666.90%3052312.5118644213729.00%156.6
Russell Wilson*1425940064.75%3113332.4113484212327.00%237.3
So you do have to factor in Russ being off for a couple of games after he came back, but that sure isn't as big a difference as I thought it might be.

If anything it's evidence of what a qb who rarely pushes the ball downfield can produce stats wise. I'd hardly consider Teddy talented in terms of his ability to actually hit the big plays. His stat line is almost entirely checkdown and short to medium passes, and he played on a team that isn't nearly as good as the one our guys have this year and in a system that wasn't nearly as creative as ours can now be.

keasley45

Reaction score

Right, because all the same folks who drafted those first 16 qbs are drafting for us now.

John and Pete don't have to worry about ruffling Russ's feathers anymore. We'll be fine.

Imagine if GB hadn't picked Rodgers because they thought Favre couldn't handle the pressure.

Or if Bill Walsh hadn't acquired Steve Young because Montana was emotionally fragile.

Or... PC and JS would have passed on a certain 3rd rounder just because they signed the guy they thought woukd be their starter...

Or better yet, what if PC or JS HAD abandoned their fruitless coddling affair with Russ, ignoring his dinged psyche, and traded picks and a player or two to move up and nab either Mahomes or Allen?

Last edited:

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Be careful. They might rescind your advanced mathematics degree if you slip up that severely again.

keasley45

Reaction score

69% complt
4212 yards
40 tds
105 passer

3rd in complt %
10th in yards
3rd in tds
3rd in Passer

Don't forget those 3rd down passing stats...

toffee

Reaction score
Right, because all the same folks who drafted those first 16 qbs are drafting for us now.

John and Pete don't have to worry about ruffling Russ's feathers anymore. We'll be fine.

Imagine if GB hadn't picked Rodgers because they thought Favre couldn't handle the pressure.

Or if Bill Walsh hadn't acquired Steve Young because Montana was emotionally fragile.

Or... PC and JS would have passed on a certain 3rd rounder just because they signed the guy they thought woukd be their starter...

Or better yet, what if PC or JS HAD abandoned their fruitless coddling affair with Russ, ignoring his dinged psyche, and traded picks and a player or two to move up and nab either Mahomes or Allen?
OK Bill Walsh did have the balls to sign Young even though Montana was super unhappy about it, called Walsh names.

Favre, when it comes to behind that back stuff, was a dwarf in comparison to our Russ. Remember Russ owned Pete?

John may be ready for Mahomes, and Allen, but one order from Russ to Pete, the whole thing was vetoed. Russ owned Pete, remember?

toffee

Reaction score
So you do have to factor in Russ being off for a couple of games after he came back, but that sure isn't as big a difference as I thought it might be.

If anything it's evidence of what a qb who rarely pushes the ball downfield can produce stats wise. I'd hardly consider Teddy talented in terms of his ability to actually hit the big plays. His stat line is almost entirely checkdown and short to medium passes, and he played on a team that isn't nearly as good as the one our guys have this year and in a system that wasn't nearly as creative as ours can now be.
I quoted those stat to showcase the poor Seahawks OL and the great Broncos OL. In the end, those two OL produce extremely similar results.

keasley45

Reaction score
OK Bill Walsh did have the balls to sign Young even though Montana was super unhappy about it, called Walsh names.

Favre, when it comes to behind that back stuff, was a dwarf in comparison to our Russ. Remember Russ owned Pete?

John may be ready for Mahomes, and Allen, but one order from Russ to Pete, the whole thing was vetoed. Russ owned Pete, remember?

He did. I don't disagree. Used PC and JS together, because they're compadres..

And we are on the same page. My point was that two of the greatest to ever weren't afforded the luxury of feeling ok about their FO bringing in their successor.
And to John63's point, Had they actually packaged a deal to move up and take Allen or Mahomes, they'd be batting 66% on franchise qb's over their tenure.