Top Tier QBs…”Pass” on Seattle?

Elemas

Reaction score
No doubt Russ had a great career here. But, if you believe reports such as his frustrations with PCs philosophy and link that to games like the 2018 playoff loss to Dallas, do you honestly believe Seattle is a market that a top tier QB would want to play in?

I don’t want to spark a debate about PC vs Russ. I was (past tense) Team Russ. Not John63 Team Russ but…fanboi could be applied. Spilt milk…time to move on. Hawks fan first (not that you aren’t John…side note…I actually enjoy your posts).

What I do believe is we can grab one in the draft…hopefully not this year but in 2-3. If JS likes a guy this year, so be it. They created something magical before. Drafted like crap after…and likely have realized what they need to get back to.

If you were a top tier QB, and had several offers, would you sign here? Why or why not?

DK, Tyler, and Fant would have me leaning towards doing it but PCs philosophy and proven track record as to how he likes the games to go would turn me off.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Wilson is probably not going to badmouth Carroll, even to peers.

And Carroll has years of winning as an NFL HC, (likely due to Wilson but still), he also has a knack for getting people to want to play for him before they tune him out.

Now the issue with coordinators is real, but we have some great receivers and we do seem like we might be a good fit for a good QB that does not dive too deeply into Carroll.

I think we stand as much a chance as the Panthers, though not the Saints.

To a neutral observer, we look better than the Commandos and the Eagles.

Unless we compete with the Saints, we should stand a chance.

OP
OP
E

Elemas

Reaction score
Good point about Wilson. I don’t think he’d go that route either. I do think it can be assumed that an incoming player would like to “get a feel” for the team from a player’s perspective.

Wilson had great success here. All things change in time…

I think there are more attractive reasons to come to Seattle than not but, some of the “nots” are heavily weighted.

Mike D in 332

Reaction score
If one of us was talented enough to be a starting NFL QB with the greatest skills of all time (not thinking of any current QB) and your task was to be on a team with an offensive philosophy like the Seattle Seahawks, would we be upset if we were still paid at a the rate of the QB with the greatest skills of all time?

Mike D in 332

Reaction score
Would it be more important to be the most accomplished QB of all time?

flv2

Reaction score
...If you were a top tier QB, and had several offers, would you sign here? Why or why not?...
No. The Seahawks would be low on my list. Questionable coaching and a history of not renegotiating until they're forced into it.

keasley45

Reaction score
Wilson is probably not going to badmouth Carroll, even to peers.

And Carroll has years of winning as an NFL HC, (likely due to Wilson but still), he also has a knack for getting people to want to play for him before they tune him out.

Now the issue with coordinators is real, but we have some great receivers and we do seem like we might be a good fit for a good QB that does not dive too deeply into Carroll.

I think we stand as much a chance as the Panthers, though not the Saints.

To a neutral observer, we look better than the Commandos and the Eagles.

Unless we compete with the Saints, we should stand a chance.
Wilson all but bad mouthed the coaching staff in the lead up to his departure. Of course, no respectable pro is gonna do it in a straightforward way, but his statements about having no control implied Pete had too much. His complaining about the offense not being aggressive enough implied his coaches were out of touch. His saying he wants to maximize his potential, implied that the circumstances around the scheme and coaching meant as a qb, he wouldnt achieve that on Seattle.

The question of whether Pete was overly conservative was asked directly to Matt Hasselbeck on one of his podcast segments and he flat said its overstated. That Pete demands that a qb take care of the ball, but that he absolutkey wants a high power offense and one that's aggressive through the air.

The issue we've had here is that Pete looked at TJack and Russ and after seeing them play, rightfully made a determination that there were things they were limted at doing. He took TJacks shortcomings and worked around them, as he did Russ's, because his philosophy of playing balanced football and not placing undo pressure on the QB to have the majority of the burden of determining the outcome of a game allows for qbs who are limited in certain ways to STILL thrive here. That does not mean that if you don't have those same limitations, that they will be placed on you.

There was no talk about how Hass wasn't allowed to throw to the middle of the field or made to hand off constantly. Hass expressed wanting to stay here because he saw what was building in Seattle and wanted to be a part of it.

If I'm a top 10 QB looking for a place where I can maximize my winning potential, I'd absolutley want to play in Seattle. The perception that we are a stone age offense is way overplayed. Its just that in 31 other cities, qbs who would have a reduced chance to start, can at least contribute in an offense that will play to what they CAN do. Doesn't mean it's necessarily limiting.

Would a QB looming to set passing records and prioritizing that goal over winning want to be here? Maybe not. But I, for one, wouldn't want that kind of player. Stats without playoff and championships are just that.

Last edited:

toffee

Reaction score
A few random thoughts:
  • Top tier QB makes top tier money, WA has no state income tax, that helps.
  • Top tier QB worry about their stats which links to their glory (MVP?) and future income, PeteBall QB do not pass as much as pass happy offense, that doesn't help.
  • Top tier QB wants to win, we are rebuilding, so this year may not be the best time to join Hawks.
  • Pete is getting old, top tier QB may not want to join a team that may have a HC change coming?

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
How many top-tier QBs have even been an option/interest for the Seahawks in the past decade? It wasn't until this year that the topic even came up; so, next question, how many top-tier QBs have the Hawks pursued? Does anyone outside Seattle's front office even know?

If I was a top-10 QB looking for a winning franchise with a positive atmosphere and program, with the current roster as my team, Seattle would definitely get a long look. Money talks, certainly, and then there's the area. If I'm moving a family, Seattle has a lot to offer, but family (close or far from other family) can play a role.

Ultimately the factors of the decision will be weighted differently by every person. But if I were to look at the Seahawks right now, the potential for a playoff team with a top-10 QB is very good. We'll see how it all comes together.

keasley45

Reaction score
How many top-tier QBs have even been an option/interest for the Seahawks in the past decade? It wasn't until this year that the topic even came up; so, next question, how many top-tier QBs have the Hawks pursued? Does anyone outside Seattle's front office even know?

If I was a top-10 QB looking for a winning franchise with a positive atmosphere and program, with the current roster as my team, Seattle would definitely get a long look. Money talks, certainly, and then there's the area. If I'm moving a family, Seattle has a lot to offer, but family (close or far from other family) can play a role.

Ultimately the factors of the decision will be weighted differently by every person. But if I were to look at the Seahawks right now, the potential for a playoff team with a top-10 QB is very good. We'll see how it all comes together.

Exactly. A top tier qb in Seattle would be playing his game to the fullest. Brady didn't set the league on fire with his stats every year he was winning championships. There were a good many where he was simply rock solid consistent.

The notion that a top tier qb wouldn't want to go to a team that puts up top 10 rushing attacks and defenses as a philosophy is laughable.

We haven't seen Brady and Rodgers type play here because, well, Brady and Rodgers don't play here.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Seattle has had one top tier QB in their entire history and they just lost him due to screwed up priorities. A top tier QB would not be playing his game to the fullest in Seattle under Pete Carroll. Thinking otherwise is laughable.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
There are 32 available starting gigs at QB in the NFL. Of those 32 perhaps 12 teams at most have a top tier QB with various levels of quality following. Each of those top tier QBs has perpetually been locked up by contract or franchise designation so the question posed by the thread is frankly one which can't be answered because no such top tier QBs are ever available. There has NEVER been a top tier QB that has been an option or interest to the team, or that the team publicly pursued (I do think the team might have had an interest in Carson Palmer back when he came out of his retirement). In result this is seemingly another backhanded way to slap at Coach Carroll or the FO and the usual AP voices are loud in support of the negative view.

As a self confessed homer as lifetime Hawks fan the positive view is the side I will weigh-in on. Sure Pete is OLD as if that truly makes a difference, but this coach is a young thinker, high energetic, and runs a progressive fun program. If we let ageism rule our thoughts how far away are we from all the other ''isms" or is it really that just you'd rather see run and shoot style football? For me I want to see brutally tough D, and smash mouth ball on O. If that allows a dink/dunk passing game to develop I'm happy to see that too. Pete as always has encouraged going for a big play and that is there too. Recently the tail off of the D is a concern but there is new focus towards youth and a philosophical change that allows for a tough hard nosed D to develop again.

What is import as far as a top tier QB is the stability of a team, the quality of the surrounding cast, money and more money, work environment and the quality of life for the player and his family, fan support, and being able to know you are respected in the team environment. All those factors are alive in Seattle. With the team moving on from Wilson the questions surrounding the QB position are real as the talent they have at present is certainly not top tier. However, the team has apparently begun to move toward a youthful approach to rebuilding the team, and some steps have ben taken toward the realization of that goal. A top tier QB would certainly be interested in a having a superior OLine in front of him and the team has acquired real quality but young talent at many positions. That is something to watch as the positive benefits of the improved OLIne will bear fruit and make the team much more attractive going forward. The team has genuine talent a many skill positions on O another attractive feature. The QB will be protected by a quality running game if Penny and Walker show up. There is a lot to like about playing QB in Seattle beyond superior facilities, absence of state income taxes, and rabid fans.

My view if there ever was an 'available top tier QB' Seattle would of course be an interesting spot and Pete would not be considered a negative in any player's calculus.

keasley45

Reaction score
Seattle has had one top tier QB in their entire history and they just lost him due to screwed up priorities. A top tier QB would not be playing his game to the fullest in Seattle under Pete Carroll. Thinking otherwise is laughable.

A top tier qb that can execute a traditional offense. And Matt Hasselbeck was top tier for a few years in his prime.

Russ was great. But anywhere he plays will be running the Russel Wilson offense.

He's not the same kind of guy as the standard bearers. Russ has his own category, which is a credit to him. But he has exhibited from the beginning, some very significant holes in his game. And those holes have to be schemed around - which Pete was happy to do because he built a team to do it.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I love Pete but zero chance Seattle is going to get a top tier QB to play in Pete's system. Zero.

KinesProf

Reaction score
With the rare exception, top tier QBs go to where they are drafted and stay there until the twilight of their career; and this now includes Buffalo and Cincinnati.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
With the rare exception, top tier QBs go to where they are drafted and stay there until the twilight of their career; and this now includes Buffalo and Cincinnati.
Absolutely this^^
Pete & John will find a Quarterback (likely in the '23' Draft) who reeks with confidence, but not an arrogant 'Me First' guy & is eager to build his OWN following.
Russ has earned his fan following, but many of those fans will UNREASONABLY compare his play with whoever Seattle brings in, pretty much in the same way that the new RB's have to pass the Warner, Waters, Alexander, Lynch, Carson & Penny comparisons.
Some fans are just 'Hard Wired' to lay the blame on anyone BUT their Chosen guy.

KinesProf

Reaction score
Absolutely this^^
Pete & John will find a Quarterback (likely in the '23' Draft) who reeks with confidence, but not an arrogant 'Me First' guy & is eager to build his OWN following.
Russ has earned his fan following, but many of those fans will UNREASONABLY compare his play with whoever Seattle brings in, pretty much in the same way that the new RB's have to pass the Warner, Waters, Alexander, Lynch, Carson & Penny comparisons.
Some fans are just 'Hard Wired' to lay the blame on anyone BUT their Chosen guy.
I like Russ and really appreciate everything he did for the Hawks.

But it just isn't prudent to pay a QB like they are an MVP , All-Pro calibre type of player when they are not. That isn't Russ. He is a very good Pro Bowl calibre QB; but let's not confuse him for a Rodgers, Brady, Mahomes, Allen type who is probably soon to be surpassed by Burrow and Herbert too.

Looking at the landscape of the league it was prudent to sell high on Russ when they did. There's no telling whether or not the QB who they ultimately use a 1st round pick on will be a hit or not, but the guy will assuredly be cheaper, lower maintenance, more popular in the locker room, and likely more mobile than current Russ.

And if that next QB is a hit.. oooh boy that's exciting as he could be hitting his stride around the same time as Brady, Rodgers, and Stafford begin to step away with the bulk of the good young QBs being in the AFC. I don't have a favourite yet though; as Stroud, Young, Levis, Richardson all have some very enticing qualities.

John63

Reaction score
We would be low on the list for any top Qb. We will not pay for a top Qb, we don't run a system for a top QB. Our HC is not an offensive guy or a Qb guy. Add that to a lot of what others have said and also there is Wilson being dismissed when he brought up the idea in a meeting. DO you think a top QB will put up with that? No

Torc

Reaction score
What top QB is available that we're concerned about? I think our next top QB will probably be next years top draft pick (barring a very surprising performance from Geno or Drew)....and any of them should be THRILLED to be drafted by the Seahawks. Look what happened to the last QB on a rookie contract that the Seahawks drafted. Russell was an up and coming talent in the last Seahawks Super Bowls, not a top tier QB. If we build the defense this year and next, along with drafting that future franchise QB, and follow the same pattern, we'd all be pretty darn thrilled. The draft this year was all I could have hoped to start that process.