To all the Wilson haters

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Anyone who actually wants the team to lose is not a true fan, period. That's about as dumb as it comes. Wanting your team to EVER lose is not an option.
Players move on regardless if we like it or not. We have zero control over it. You're either IN or you're out, period. Thru thick and thin.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Cyrus, I certainly don’t want my team to fail. I would prefer it to be for the fewest years possible, and I think russ’ leaving just stemmed the bleeding.

Russ couldn’t cook here even with a coach actively kissing his butt the whole time. I doubt he’ll do better under someone who never coached.

Im more worried about Pete. His continual contractual presence will mean we are stuck with him through 2025, which just augments the stagnation.

Jed York fired Harbaugh in 2014. It took them three years to find Shanaplan And jimmy g. Their crucial rebuild to contention was arguably three years, which I prefer as opposed to decades of being the lions

John63

Reaction score
Anyone who actually wants the team to lose is not a true fan, period. That's about as dumb as it comes. Wanting your team to EVER lose is not an option.
Players move on regardless if we like it or not. We have zero control over it. You're either IN or you're out, period. Thru thick and thin.

Who says I want them to lose? Now DoO I expect much? no. but I will root for them in every game been doing it since day 1.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Depends who you ask...there are many here that claim to be fans but would like to see this team legitimately fail for years to come because of Wilson flying the coop.
Weren't you the cheerleader for tanking?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
If we are stuck with Pete we are stuck with Pete.

There really isn't anything to save anymore.

The key to success in the NFL is an elite QB. Coaches no longer are the most important component of a winning franchise. We didn't do enough to keep him, so we lost him. There was always the chance we would have lost him anyway, he did seem to want a bigger stage. But he left for Denver so maybe not. Either way, it is done.

We are stuck with the aftermath and the aging HC that has little more to give or contribute.

Most teams have a 'glory years' team, the one that every fan looks back as the greatest time in the franchise history. We just ended ours. Almost anything will sting after that, just as almost any accomplishments will be found wanting.

I grew up with the Seahawks, I will find new players to cheer for - almost assuredly. But it will be a bummer to suddenly be back to the nobodies in the NFL.

It could have been avoided but we have already hit the iceberg. Arguing the color of the deck chairs and whether we should have gotten a different set is besides the point. The ship is taking on water and the voyage is over. We might be treading water, in what seems to be pretty icy waters for some time. It is probably going to be dark and cold - but it was bound to happen eventually.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Russ showed he wasn't the guy he thought he was. He was given the reigns and he didn't make it happen. He is near 35 years old and is going to want 50 Milly plus per year . Other qbs have won with worse rosters than Seattle's, especially right after
Our two trips to the super bowl.

I don't think he was well liked within the organization. This is pure speculation on my part but whatever. If he was everything he thought he was then why did Seattle choose to let him go to Denver ?

Scout

Reaction score
If we are stuck with Pete we are stuck with Pete.

There really isn't anything to save anymore.

The key to success in the NFL is an elite QB. Coaches no longer are the most important component of a winning franchise. We didn't do enough to keep him, so we lost him. There was always the chance we would have lost him anyway, he did seem to want a bigger stage. But he left for Denver so maybe not. Either way, it is done.

We are stuck with the aftermath and the aging HC that has little more to give or contribute.

Most teams have a 'glory years' team, the one that every fan looks back as the greatest time in the franchise history. We just ended ours. Almost anything will sting after that, just as almost any accomplishments will be found wanting.

I grew up with the Seahawks, I will find new players to cheer for - almost assuredly. But it will be a bummer to suddenly be back to the nobodies in the NFL.

It could have been avoided but we have already hit the iceberg. Arguing the color of the deck chairs and whether we should have gotten a different set is besides the point. The ship is taking on water and the voyage is over. We might be treading water, in what seems to be pretty icy waters for some time. It is probably going to be dark and cold - but it was bound to happen eventually.
Teams with elite QBs have to draft really well though or they struggle because they can't field talented rosters due to most cap space being gobbled up by elite QBs. And elite QBs as a result have to be able to carry a team to playoff wins. I do not think RW is capable of carrying a team on his shoulders anymore and the drafts haven't been good enough to build the talents around RW to help him.

With the available cap space Pete can build a stronger defense and run game which is going to lean towards the complimentary football that Pete wants. But the reality is that drafts have to yield more impact players than say a bunch of niche or special teams players.

I firmly believe the 2022 draft is going to either be the turning point for PC post Wilson or it will be the start of the end.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Teams with strong run games and strong defense just become regular season darlings, if they have no top tier QB. They have no chance.

But I highly doubt we will even do that. We would be lucky to become the Titans, but we don't have the horses for it, or the coach.

I am not even sure Pete has that in him anymore. This is not a team missing a few pieces. It is a product of years of failed drafts and failed trades, with aging veterans and a cast of nobodies in many positions. This isn't a team you can fill pieces in to keep going.

So Pete has to play TyBall. Take the air out of the ball, bleed the clock, play keep away, and it will keep the game close. You figure the ball will bounce your way a few times, and those will be a few games you win against better opponents you kept close. It is boring, ugly, monotonous football but it does sprinkle in some long heaves (I remember Ty doing that with Stanback).

That will be the gameplan. And it is just built to tread water to keep a coach employed, not to be a serious threat.

The 'turning point' looks like it already happened.

That was extending Carroll. Everything afterwards happened as predicted, up to Wilson bolting because he couldn't take it anymore. The only outlier was the 12-4 season. But that looks like a product of the wheels coming off the 49ers and Rams than us moving in the right direction.

GemCity

Reaction score
Cyrus, I certainly don’t want my team to fail. I would prefer it to be for the fewest years possible, and I think russ’ leaving just stemmed the bleeding.

Russ couldn’t cook here even with a coach actively kissing his butt the whole time. I doubt he’ll do better under someone who never coached.

Im more worried about Pete. His continual contractual presence will mean we are stuck with him through 2025, which just augments the stagnation.

Jed York fired Harbaugh in 2014. It took them three years to find Shanaplan And jimmy g. Their crucial rebuild to contention was arguably three years, which I prefer as opposed to decades of being the lions

We’ll pull this post back up later on. While I think Denver is going to have its hands full in a stacked AFC West, I also believe Russ is going to light it up.

I’m sure the excuses, “omg let’s move on”, “but this…” will be the typical response.

Scout

Reaction score
Teams with strong run games and strong defense just become regular season darlings, if they have no top tier QB. They have no chance.

But I highly doubt we will even do that. We would be lucky to become the Titans, but we don't have the horses for it, or the coach.

I am not even sure Pete has that in him anymore. This is not a team missing a few pieces. It is a product of years of failed drafts and failed trades, with aging veterans and a cast of nobodies in many positions. This isn't a team you can fill pieces in to keep going.

So Pete has to play TyBall. Take the air out of the ball, bleed the clock, play keep away, and it will keep the game close. You figure the ball will bounce your way a few times, and those will be a few games you win against better opponents you kept close. It is boring, ugly, monotonous football but it does sprinkle in some long heaves (I remember Ty doing that with Stanback).

That will be the gameplan. And it is just built to tread water to keep a coach employed, not to be a serious threat.

The 'turning point' looks like it already happened.

That was extending Carroll. Everything afterwards happened as predicted, up to Wilson bolting because he couldn't take it anymore. The only outlier was the 12-4 season. But that looks like a product of the wheels coming off the 49ers and Rams than us moving in the right direction.
I think the Titans model is a realistic blueprint to follow. The alternative is to draft a rookie QB round 1 on a cheap five year contract and surround him with talent. The Patriots are not a powerhouse in the AFC and the AFC is heavily stacked now or seems like it. And yet the Patriots have positioned themselves to compete with a QB on a cheap rookie deal. However, rookie QBs are known to be turn over prone so more likely I see Pete wanting to lean toward the Titan model.

If the team can really hit on the 2022 draft picks the turn around can be quick and drastic. A heavy run game with an emphasis on a short passing game to Metcalf, Lockett, and Fant would be hard to stop.

To me it is clear that the offense can function with a run heavy approach and when the short passing game is utilized. The bigger question mark is what will the defense look like? Pete has always hanged his hat on defense and this is where it will be make or break for him IMVHO. A lot is invested in the safeties but to me that front seven needs to deliver more ferocity and physicality to compete within this division and the rest of the NFC and NFL.

OP
OP
Z

zhawk

Reaction score
I, for one, would like to see Pete and John have tremendous immeasurable success! Just to prove all the naysayers about them wrong. And I was against the trade, but it’s done. The genie will not go back in the bottle.

Fade

Reaction score
Teams with elite QBs have to draft really well though or they struggle because they can't field talented rosters due to most cap space being gobbled up by elite QBs.
All teams have to draft well. Period. Regardless of who they have at QB.

And elite QBs as a result have to be able to carry a team to playoff wins. I do not think RW is capable of carrying a team on his shoulders anymore and the drafts haven't been good enough to build the talents around RW to help him.
No one could carry the current Seahawks squad. They are the Lions. Stafford was washed up, underperforming in DET for years. Plays on a good team for 1 year and now some think he is a HoF'er.

With the available cap space Pete can build a stronger defense and run game which is going to lean towards the complimentary football that Pete wants.
They had $70M to spend this off-season. Blew it on JAGs. And that is what they will continue to do, because Pete believes it gives them flexiblity for future seasons. Your fabled cap savings is just going to end up going to JAGs year after year. Pete isn't changing.

I firmly believe the 2022 draft is going to either be the turning point for PC post Wilson or it will be the start of the end.
What year is it? The turning point happened a couple of times already. PC losing to Jason Garrett in the playoffs was the last straw. No. The Seahawks are stuck in purgatory until a new regime is brought in. That's when the Seahawks can start anew.

Jody Allen is the worst, so it may be a while, though.

John63

Reaction score
Russ showed he wasn't the guy he thought he was. He was given the reigns and he didn't make it happen. He is near 35 years old and is going to want 50 Milly plus per year . Other qbs have won with worse rosters than Seattle's, especially right after
Our two trips to the super bowl.

I don't think he was well liked within the organization. This is pure speculation on my part but whatever. If he was everything he thought he was then why did Seattle choose to let him go to Denver ?
When was he has given the reigns again? Do you mean for all of 4 games 2 years ago.

Scout

Reaction score
All teams have to draft well. Period. Regardless of who they have at QB.

No one could carry the current Seahawks squad. They are the Lions. Stafford was washed up, underperforming in DET for years. Plays on a good team for 1 year and now some think he is a HoF'er.

They had $70M to spend this off-season. Blew it on JAGs. And that is what they will continue to do, because Pete believes it gives them flexiblity for future seasons. Your fabled cap savings is just going to end up going to JAGs year after year. Pete isn't changing.

What year is it? The turning point happened a couple of times already. PC losing to Jason Garrett in the playoffs was the last straw. No. The Seahawks are stuck in purgatory until a new regime is brought in. That's when the Seahawks can start anew.

Jody Allen is the worst, so it may be a while, though.
I am not so sure about that. The Patriots haven't drafted well in some time but what has kept them competitive are favorable UFA signings and trades the last few years. Meanwhile Pete and John have struggled with the draft ,but worse with trades and UFA signings. So teams can compete if they are not good with drafts but they have to nail free agent signings and trades. This is why the team is in its current situation so it is a sum of all going wrong in my opinion.

With that said RW had an opportunity to carry a talent deficient Seahawks squad the last few years and did do so in spurts. But when it came to December and playoffs RW basically ran out of gas. I feel like RW will have a better defense to help him out in Denver. The offensive talent Denver has is good but I wouldn't class it better than what he had here IMO.

Bottom line is when a QB1 is paid top dollar they have to carry a team to a few extra wins per year. Broncos should be an above .500 team next year based on this premise.

Pete on the other hand has to find a way to squeeze out wins without a franchise caliber QB and do so in a arguably the most competitive division in the NFC and possibly NFL.