Time for a change

Mase

Reaction score
-- Can some of you please come to grips with the fact of what is said for the public is different from what is said in private. If I hear "Pete said" one more time, I am going to boke. If you think Carroll is all rainbows and unicorns on the practice field, or meeting rooms, or in coaches meetings, get a clue, find a clue, borrow a clue if you have to.

-- We like to ignore the fact that he has done something very rare in football, winning an NCAA Championship and an NFL Championship. He knows how to coach, and he knows how to lead. But he doesn't grunt when he talks and actually looks excited to be alive, unlike the Nick Saban's and Urban Meyers of the world. Maybe he could be Jim Harbaugh, you know, gets close but never actually wins anything. Has coached Seattle for 13 years, finished last in conference ONCE, finished 3rd ONCE. Won the division 5 times. Not exactly a soft division either, winning 6 of the last 12 NFC Championship games, and favored to do so again this year. My point being, I know the challenges of coaching, especially the art of delegation, and I think some of you are hilariously clueless as to what goes in to extended success. Developing assistants is as challenging as developing players. But if you are going to base everything on one year, you will never be successful.

-- As for Hurtt, Carroll has not been prone to use lateral movement for coordinators. Especially defensive, it is almost always a promotion. Quinn was our Dline coach, before his DC two years at Florida, but first pro coordinator job was with the Hawks. Now Carroll hires a Dline coach again, doesn't give him the LOB, but does give him a below average front seven and a very inexperienced group of corners, and dinged up safeties. But because he doesn't have a Dan Quinn year, he sucks and needs to go. Wise up, he has nowhere near the talent and experience on the field needed to run a consistent defense. You know where inexperience really hurts ? When making adjustments. Younger guys just don't have the knowledge base to move in and out of schemes mid game. This is why Belichek likes vets. It is why Carroll says you lose one game for every rookie you start. Carroll signaled his readiness to reset this whole thing by firing Norton, trading the Icon and cutting Wagner. This is his version of blowing it up and restarting. And we made the playoffs anyway.

-- So please, look around, tell me where this has been pulled off before. Tell me what coach has done it. Total reset, trading away the probowl QB, starting multiple rookies, and still pulling off a playoff berth. Tomlin, Harbaugh (Jon), Belichek, these are great coaches. We would take any one of them. Pete is in this echelon, yet some of you act like he is Jim Mora Jr.

Mase

Hawknballs

Reaction score
teams that change coordinators every 1-2 seasons are rarely successful. How do you expect any coordinator to be immediately successful their first season in what most viewed as a rebuilding here? Show some patience, you can't rebuild a team over night.

hawks85

Reaction score
Time for a change? What the hell are you talking about? They did change the defensive scheme. Look, you people need to settle down. Changing any scheme takes time and isn't an overnight process. You want immediate results, it doesn't work like that. The defense show signs this year so I'm expecting a better overall consistent performance next season.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Its just maddening knowing you dont have the correct players to run the scheme you want to run, but you do it anyways. Why would anybody do that?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Its just maddening knowing you dont have the correct players to run the scheme you want to run, but you do it anyways. Why would anybody do that?
They wouldn't. That's not how the real world works. There's a lot of nuance there that you're not even trying to grasp.

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
We are mid-change like when a 4-3 identifies as a 3-4 it takes at least two years to change to a 3-4. And we are perfectly positioned to reap talent, like a lot of talent. Big, beefy, DL talent.
I am hoping that we add two defensive players right away. We probably won't get Jalen Carter, but Siaki Ika looks like he could be just what the Seahawks need. Then at EDGE, I hope we can grab Tyree Wilson. This draft has some good EDGE talent that are all expected to go in the first or second round.

In contrast, all of the linebackers are expected to be drafted in the second round or later. I hope we will draft a linebacker. But maybe adding a free agent could be a better choice at this time.

On offense, the line could use some early round help too for the interior at center and guard. A wide receiver is possible...but I think our current group is pretty good!

After that, a safety could be an early choice too. The Seahawks seem to "break" safeties and running backs.

I can't remember a season where I have been more excited about the draft! This link is a good resource for player evaluations.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospect-rankings/

Scout

Reaction score
if Desai leaves that makes it harder to stick with a 34 scheme because I do not have confidence in Hurtt.

But regardless if it is a 34 or 43 one gap scheme upgrades along the DL and LB are a must.

NoGain

Reaction score
It sure looks like PC and John Schneider are going to stay. I kind of felt all along that Jody Allen chose to keep them in place until the team was sold. I think she wanted stability more than anything else, and the PC and JS team have proven themselves to be more than capable of that.

Once they decide what they're going to do about the QB situation, I think they well know they need an infusion of defensive talent. I kind of see Woolen as being our only potential real impact player on D. We used to have seven in the LOB era, Sherman, Thomas, Kam, Bennett, Avril, Wagner, and KJ. Yeah, that was a great defensive unit, but we need at least three or four if we're going to successfully play the kind of ball that PC supposedly loves to play, but can't seem to reconstitute.

We need talent so bad on the defensive side of the ball. Yeah, we could also use some on our interior OL, maybe another quality receiver, but our defense is screaming for talent.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Not happening, other than Desai maybe leaving for a DC job.

I'm not sure how anyone can look at the complete and utter lack of playmakers on the defensive side of the ball and think "coaches fault."

You literally have 8 of the 11 defensive starters who are mediocre to outright stink. Woolen, Diggs, Brooks, that's it......and even Diggs and Brooks are debatable.

For me it’s because Pete is in charge of personnel. They’ve invested a ton on that side of the ball as well with multiple 1-2 round draft picks, trades, big FA acquisitions etc so I agree you can’t blame the coaches I do somewhat hold the guy in charge of that personnel accountable. The typical response is we don’t pick too 5 well I can list a dozen teams that don’t either that have been better than us defensively year in and out who pick late, pay a premium for a QB etc. Pete/John have just not been good here

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
I wasn't a fan of how our defense performed the last few seasons but it's always "time for a change" on .net.

If it was up to this place the whole coaching staff, & a bunch of players, would be replaced after every loss. Probably even after some wins.

OP
OP
Chawker

Chawker

Reaction score
We need a MLBer that is capable of making plays on the offensive side of the line of scimmage.

We need a DT that can stuff the run and push the pocket on pass plays.

With just two good picks, this team will improve by 50%. That should be good enough for us all. Its up to Pete and John to get these two players. Frankly with the picks we have this year they should come away with a much greater haul this year.

Thank you Rulssell Wilson

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We didn't have the people for a 3-4. This was pointed out before the start of the season. It should have been clear to everyone.

The coaches had to know it too. That they tried anyway speaks volumes (though it wasn't a standard 3-4).

Carroll isn't an idiot. So either this was all they could think to do, or they were just throwing stuff at the wall hoping it stuck.

But hope is not a plan. If you literally have no plan but hope, then maybe the guy running the defense needed to realize he was not capable. I suspect a better defensive mind would have gotten more from our roster.

Holy crap, our secondary was pretty solid considering how badly their DL supported them (ie lack of pressure on the QB, time to throw, etc.)

Fade

Reaction score
But not in the other 17 games? Weird.

Maybe, just maybe it was because Woolen had an injured ankle and was obviously hampered by it and was playing more off coverage than he usually does.

But don't let me get in the way of your 8,649th Pete bashing hot take.
Did all of the CBs have injured ankles? They were all playing bail w/outside leverage, giving up crossers and slants all game long with zero adjustments.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
We didn't have the people for a 3-4. This was pointed out before the start of the season. It should have been clear to everyone.
If they didn't have the people for a "3-4," then they didn't have them for a 4-3 under or base bear look either.

It's a more nuanced thing that you're giving it credit for with this absolutist crap.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Did all of the CBs have injured ankles? They were all playing bail w/outside leverage, giving up crossers and slants all game long with zero adjustments.

You figured it out.

The Hawks defensive backfield and their coaches didn't make any adjustments in this game, even though they had all year long in other games, to the point of their defensive backs coach getting HC interviews because of how well he's developed and coached our DB's here and in Chicago.

I'm sure these other organizations just haven't cracked the code like you Fade and have no idea what they're doing interviewing Desai, they don't know he has no idea how to make adjustments cause he works with such a terrible head coach with one of the highest winning percentages and playoff/SB appearances in modern NFL history.

You really should be in coaching Fade. So knowledgeable.