Thurmond is awful.

hawksfanohio

Reaction score
I think Thurmond is a great slot corner. He has the best defensive backs coaches you can get and he has speed and good cover skills, especially for stopping quick receivers coking across the middle.

VaporHawk

Reaction score
Would be surprised if he is on the team next season.

Probably not the biggest name on the "not coming back" list

Seafan

Reaction score
WT is likely gone unless he doesn't take market value and I also believe we'll only have Sherman for one more season.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Just echoing, Thurmond drew a lot of the coverage assignments on Welker, not an easy cover.
As annoying as Welker is, he's a hell of a slot receiver, one of the best I've ever seen. Can't fault his toughness either.

I'm a WTIII fan; he's fairly good on the outside and serviceable in the slot, but I agree he's probably gone.
Too many good corners to keep them all, what a happy problem to have after all those years of Kelly Jennings.

cacksman

Reaction score
I hope his suspension scares teams away enough for him to take a low $$ deal here.

ivotuk

Reaction score
He was terrible. Didn't matter whether he was playing corner or slot, he sucked. There was a bunch group and looked like he had D Thomas, and he jumped towards the LOS like he thought it was a screen and got burned. Then on a crossing route with lots of room he ran right in to a stationary Kam Chancellor.

WTIII spent way too much time looking in the backfield and not enough paying attention to his assignment. My guess is that he didn't study the tape like everyone else did and thought he could get by on talent alone. If it weren't for talent surrounding him, he would have given up at least one TD.

Dude needs to play for someone else.

Escamillo

Reaction score
HawkWow":3b3urgp1 said:
James in PA":3b3urgp1 said:
Clayton said that Thurmond is likely gone because he's FA, we are loaded at that position, and there are likely trust issues stemming from his suspension.

Still a bit peeved with John but can't argue his sentiment here.

It's VERY easy now to dismiss the transgressions of Browner and Walter. But their actions could have easily cost us a title. If we lose just one more game, quite possible we are not champions today and their selfishness and stupidity should not be taken lightly if looking at the bigger picture.

I think Thurmond has the makings of an excellent corner. He's missed a lot of time so I am less concerned about his current play than I am his piss (no pun intended) poor decision making...and propensity for injury.

Next year will be tougher than last. History proves this to be true. We will have to be even better, tighter next year than last, if we have a shot at repeating. IMO.

I read that Browner's suspension was because he missed an NFL marijuana test while he was in the CFL, is that correct? If so, I wouldn't call that "selfish", I'd call it B.S.

kjreid

Reaction score
Thurmond had a great year, the suspension put him behind others and you could tell the time off effected him. I would love to have Thurmond back next year, he is a competitor and can play with anyone in the league!!! Great cover skills and had the closing quickness that is needed. Look at his stats, they don't lie!!!

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Amazing how all of the detractors ignore the plays he DID make and the assignments that he executed correctly. Naw, why do that when you can focus only the negative to support such hyperbolic characterizations as 'awful' and 'Terrible.' I'm REALLY glad some of you are not evaluating talent for this team. Look at our secondary's play against the Colts and Tell me our secondary, including Sherm, wasn't making the exact same mistakes you want to ship Thurmond to another team for. :roll:

ivotuk

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":10ppn7r9 said:
Amazing how all of the detractors ignore the plays he DID make and the assignments that he executed correctly. Naw, why do that when you can focus only the negative to support such hyperbolic characterizations as 'awful' and 'Terrible.' I'm REALLY glad some of you are not evaluating talent for this team. Look at our secondary's play against the Colts and Tell me our secondary, including Sherm, wasn't making the exact same mistakes you want to ship Thurmond to another team for. :roll:

Such as?

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
I am amused by these "sparing sessions" as they progress regarding a players effectiveness. In the end, someone will be "crowing"...."I told you so!" :roll:

jblaze

Reaction score
Thurmond is gone. He doesn't want to be a slot corner, he wants an outside spot and someone will pay him as such. We do not need him.

He really screwed himself with the suspension. He was the #2 then got suspended and Maxwell played very well and he was never able to get the spot back. That experience as a #2 for the last quarter of the year could have made him a lot of money. The fact that the team kept him behind Maxwell once he came back will make teams reconsider his value. Not to mention that he's one step away from a year, the market will likely not be kind to WTIII but we won't make a play for him at all is my guess.

We're sitting pretty for next year with Sherm, Max in #2 and Lane in the slot. Simon, Auguste and Fenner waiting in the wings and we just signed Parks to the practice squad and I'm sure we'll draft another CB late in the draft. We'll be fine.

themunn

Reaction score
Basis4day":nx8pxu4d said:
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... -seahawks/

Thurmond has been targeted 53 times in the playoffs, giving up 34 receptions for just 252 yards. That works out at 7.4 yards per catch, the second-best mark among cornerbacks playing at least 25% of their team’s defensive snaps. More importantly, he’s yet to allow a touchdown this year while picking off one pass and breaking up four more. Topping it all off nicely, he has also given up just one penalty all year, a pass interference infraction against the Carolina Panthers in Week 1.

I mean I don't see that as impressive? Yes he has a low number per catch, but 34 catches in 3 games? 85 yards a game? Those aren't impressive numbers to me

Oh wait, that article is from BEFORE the superbowl? So essentially, between the Saints and the Niners, he gave up 17 catches per game and 125 yards per game. And he was the least impressive Seahawk against the Broncos

jblaze

Reaction score
themunn":mq5yk3te said:
Basis4day":mq5yk3te said:
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... -seahawks/

Thurmond has been targeted 53 times in the playoffs, giving up 34 receptions for just 252 yards. That works out at 7.4 yards per catch, the second-best mark among cornerbacks playing at least 25% of their team’s defensive snaps. More importantly, he’s yet to allow a touchdown this year while picking off one pass and breaking up four more. Topping it all off nicely, he has also given up just one penalty all year, a pass interference infraction against the Carolina Panthers in Week 1.

I mean I don't see that as impressive? Yes he has a low number per catch, but 34 catches in 3 games? 85 yards a game? Those aren't impressive numbers to me

Oh wait, that article is from BEFORE the superbowl? So essentially, between the Saints and the Niners, he gave up 17 catches per game and 125 yards per game. And he was the least impressive Seahawk against the Broncos

Numbers don't add up here. Most likely poorly worded by PFF. If you're giving up 17 receptions a game as a nickel corner, you're not long for this league.

Tical21

Reaction score
We stood by him and paid him for how many years? Dude would rather smoke pot than join our team during the stretch run towards the playoffs. Get him out of here. J-Lane played well enough to send his arse down the road.