Thurmond is awful.

Skansi82

Reaction score
I think Thurmond is great on the outside, but average at best in the slot/nickel. If you look at the games when he played well, it was when he was playing outside in replacement of Browner prior to getting "Dazed and Confused". If we can get him for fairly cheap next season he's a solid backup corner and you can never have too many elite athletes on the roster. If not, I would much rather have Jeremy Lane in the nickel for a fraction of the cost.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2ctcfw64 said:
He was also on one of the best slot WR's in NFL history. I like Thurm a lot, but I think he's going to get starters money somewhere else and we will have to move on.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. He's lost his starting job twice. He just got done with another substance suspension. Next one could put him on the year long suspension list. He has issues. Not sure he's gonna get a big time offer.

Jville

Reaction score
A read of posts of the original author reveals a rather either/or series of opinions. I didn't find a whole lot of gray area in those posts.

Walter Thurmond looks to be to be a legitimate NFL starter. However, he didn't accomplish enough soon enough to nail down a second multi-year contract as a core player IMHO.

His skill, never the less, is very much in demand. He may chose to settle for a 1 year prove it opportunity on a less competitive roster.

With all the playoff practice "whispers" about Akeem Auguste, I'm already anticipating the beginning of another intense round of competition at the nickle back spot in August.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
lukerguy":3irmywil said:
Scottemojo":3irmywil said:
blazen2392":3irmywil said:
I rewatched the superbowl game and noticed he was the weakest link out there. Getting beat, blown coverages. I like the guy but i think we should think about giving lane the chance to step up.

He had a bad game, but since when did we have reason to think he is a good slot corner?

Since he forced a really great slot corner into retirement because he was outplaying him. AW could have had a huge decline, but still.
If you want to see awful, Winfield looked Turrible here in Seattle.

HawkWow

Reaction score
formido":2cin4ugj said:
HawkWow":2cin4ugj said:
James in PA":2cin4ugj said:
Clayton said that Thurmond is likely gone because he's FA, we are loaded at that position, and there are likely trust issues stemming from his suspension.

Still a bit peeved with John but can't argue his sentiment here.

It's VERY easy now to dismiss the transgressions of Browner and Walter. But their actions could have easily cost us a title. If we lose just one more game, quite possible we are not champions today and their selfishness and stupidity should not be taken lightly if looking at the bigger picture.

I think Thurmond has the makings of an excellent corner. He's missed a lot of time so I am less concerned about his current play than I am his piss (no pun intended) poor decision making...and propensity for injury.

Next year will be tougher than last. History proves this to be true. We will have to be even better, tighter next year than last, if we have a shot at repeating. IMO.

Browner getting suspended was bad process, but in hindsight it didn't come anywhere near costing us a title. In fact, it may have earned us one. Maxwell has been much better than Browner, and that's been reflected both defensive passer rating (pass defense wins championships) and points per game allowed since Maxwell took over.

In calling Browner's suspension "bad process", you are effectively saying he only failed 2 tests, not 3. I call that bad decision making.

You insinuate BB basically did us a favor...say what? What if Maxwell went down with injury? For every action there is reaction and we were fortunate to have not suffered from Browner's selfishness.

Loved the guy, still do, but basically you make my point. He is expendable.

jblaze

Reaction score
He gone. Lane is more than capable. We'll also draft a CB and have Fenner and Simon waiting in the wings, both of whom seem like good slot CB's. Also don't forget Auguste on the PS, Sherman has been praising him forever.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm with the group that's heaping praise on Thurmond. It's really nice to FINALLY see him stay healthy, and he looked pretty damn good this year. Yes the suspension was stupid, but the rules around banned substances are pretty stupid too, so... whatever. Kid's got game and we were fortunate to have him. Saying he's "awful" is just ignorant horse shit. He kept Wes Welker in check in the Super Bowl. That is not something an "awful" corner is capable of doing.

That being said... he's going to want to get paid next year. Not Revis money, but definitely a starter's wage. Considering he's 3rd on the depth chart here (maybe even 4th depending on the fate of BB) and considering we have a bonafied stable of young corners with upside waiting in the wings, there's really no reason to pay him starter money. To that end; I expect to see him somewhere else next year.

Thanks for your great contributions Walter and congratulations on the Championship! You are honorably discharged from the Legion of Boom. May success find you in your future endevors.

jblaze

Reaction score
Honorably discharged from the Legion of Boom, LOL.

chris98251

Reaction score
TJH":1rixr7ah said:
Basis4day":1rixr7ah said:
I seem to recall Denver only scoring 8 points in that game. Could be wrong.

These types of posts are so freaking aggrivating. Why even come to this forum then if all debate can be reduced to a final score.

Well since we were not in the game plan room we don't know what was asked of him, he may have been asked to force pressure to inside and have support and not allowing Welker to break outside, there fore he made have given up reception to allow Kam to clean up. Just an example of the socre being the final evaluator, unless 43 - 8 is a failing grade.

Tempest_Crow

Reaction score
Basis4day wrote:
TJH wrote:
Basis4day wrote:
I seem to recall Denver only scoring 8 points in that game. Could be wrong.

These types of posts are so freaking aggrivating. Why even come to this forum then if all debate can be reduced to a final score.

Sorry don't know how to do the quote thingy.

Because it counters the pretense that anyone of the Defense played awful?

Allow me to elaborate for you. Feel free to disagree.

1. The Defense played great.
2. Thurmond played great this year until his suspension.
3. Thurmond is miles ahead of Trufant last year.
4. Fans who think Thurmond is awful clearly forget Kelly Jennings.
5. I don't need to agree with anyone in the thread.
6. This is classic nitpicking.
7. Nothing Thurmond did hurt us in any significant way whatsoever.
8. The final score elaborates on point 7.

Still questioning why i come here?

There! Some actual points! Exactly what I was looking for.

I didn't need the bullet points to understand what he was getting at. Sure it was sarcstic but point made. I still think he'll be let go but not for his play.

BleedGreenNblue

Reaction score
weird. We were just praising thrumond a few weeks ago and earlier in the season. Denver scored 8 points in 4 quarters. Calm your tits. To start a thread saying he is AWFUL is stupid

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1hq1r07d said:
If you want to see awful, Winfield looked Turrible here in Seattle.

True. One of the swifter and more stunning offseason declines from aging that I've yet seen.

It kinda says it all when a fantastic career comes to a screaching halt after a single PRESEASON game. But that's just how bad Winfield looked covering Wes Welker.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
This thread is stupid much like that abomination about Sherman being a prick like Revis. Again just STUPID. It's not like Thurmond won't be affordable Either way we just need to sign Earl then Richard and watch Maxwell compete for his job.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
This thread is stupid much like that abomination about Sherman being a prick like Revis. Again just STUPID.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Thurmond is a solid CB. Covering the best slot WR in the league isn't some casual task.

That said, he is realistically gone unless he wants to make less money staying here. He will get some good offers purely from league wide knowledge of how well coached our secondary is. He has the talent to be a solid starting CB in the NFL if he can stay healthy, he just wont get past nickel on our team.

warden

Reaction score
Thurmond is awful

WTF

Thurmond is Superbowl Champion

It is mind boggling that some posters try to act like they have a clue by calling someone out

chris98251

Reaction score
Thurmond is an instant starter for many teams, if Browner is re instated Jags would gladly love both along with Blackmon and have a dominant secondary right away. They could get both cheap also and know them well enough to take the chance.

Laloosh

Reaction score
I think Thurmond will be wearing crimson and gold in 2014-2015...

Meeker

Reaction score
warden":2p8vcehx said:
Thurmond is awful

WTF

Thurmond is Superbowl Champion

It is mind boggling that some posters try to act like they have a clue by calling someone out

Unless this is sarcasm...posts like these are mind boggling and do nothing to counter the original post...awful argument.

I don't know if Thurmond was awful or not, haven't watched the footage on his coverage. Reardless, I wouldn't use 1 game against the best slot WR in the game and arguably one of the best of all time as evidence to him being awful, 1 game does not make a player especially when there is much more footage on the contrary.