Thurmond is awful.

Basis4day

Reaction score
TJH":1k4e0qec said:
Basis4day":1k4e0qec said:
I seem to recall Denver only scoring 8 points in that game. Could be wrong.

These types of posts are so freaking aggrivating. Why even come to this forum then if all debate can be reduced to a final score.

Because it counters the pretense that anyone of the Defense played awful?

Allow me to elaborate for you. Feel free to disagree.

1. The Defense played great.
2. Thurmond played great this year until his suspension.
3. Thurmond is miles ahead of Trufant last year.
4. Fans who think Thurmond is awful clearly forget Kelly Jennings.
5. I don't need to agree with anyone in the thread.
6. This is classic nitpicking.
7. Nothing Thurmond did hurt us in any significant way whatsoever.
8. The final score elaborates on point 7.

Still questioning why i come here?

Shane Falco

Reaction score
I'd take Thurmond over Jennings, J. Wilson and even the last few years of Trufant or any of those guys we were trotting out there for a few years. We are just so spoiled now with what we have. We don't have a shutdown corner, we have a shutdown backfield. How sweet it is.

TJH

Reaction score
Basis4day":v1869bv8 said:
TJH":v1869bv8 said:
Basis4day":v1869bv8 said:

These types of posts are so freaking aggrivating. Why even come to this forum then if all debate can be reduced to a final score.

1. The Defense played great.
2. Thurmond played great this year until his suspension.
3. Thurmond is miles ahead of Trufant last year.
4. Fans who think Thurmond is awful clearly forget Kelly Jennings.
6. This is classic nitpicking.
7. Nothing Thurmond did hurt us in any significant way whatsoever.
8. The final score elaborates on point 7.

Still questioning why i come here?

There! Some actual points! Exactly what I was looking for.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Thurmond is gone for many reasons

1. Mediocre play
2. Drug suspension, so no long term deal for fear of longer suspension
3. Injury risk

I don't see us even entertaining giving Thurmond a contract, not with Maxwell, Lane and now Simon on the rise. The only way he comes back is if NO ONE wants to give him a 2-3 year deal and he comes back here on a cheap one year deal.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":27lo1mkb said:

1. Mediocre play
3. Injury risk

I don't see us even entertaining giving Thurmond a contract, not with Maxwell, Lane and now Simon on the rise. The only way he comes back is if NO ONE wants to give him a 2-3 year deal and he comes back here on a cheap one year deal.

Really curious about Simon.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Basis4day":g8q12xdt said:
TJH":g8q12xdt said:
Basis4day":g8q12xdt said:

1. The Defense played great. ---And covered for WTIII's mistakes
2. Thurmond played great this year until his suspension. ---So what happened?
3. Thurmond is miles ahead of Trufant last year. ---He's better than a guy cut by the Jags
4. Fans who think Thurmond is awful clearly forget Kelly Jennings. ---He's better than a guy who sucks?
6. This is classic nitpicking. ---This is discussing a topic. Should we not?
7. Nothing Thurmond did hurt us in any significant way whatsoever. ---It could have
8. The final score elaborates on point 7. ----The SuperB Owl is over. Some, such as the Head Coach and General Manager are looking towards winning the NFCW next year. Can't fans talk about that?

Still questioning why i come here? ---Yes :D

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Basis4day":pob58lrr said:
Sgt. Largent":pob58lrr said:

1. Mediocre play
3. Injury risk

Simon fits right into the Hawks tall aggressive DB, just needs more time to develop.

razgriz737

Reaction score
One bad play does stick out in my mind. He was covering somebody and he ran into Chancellor while covering him. It was like we ran a pick play on ourselves.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Basis4day":3w07uso1 said:
Sgt. Largent":3w07uso1 said:

1. Mediocre play
3. Injury risk

Seem to remember Pete saying he has to get surgery on his other foot for the same ailment. If true I don't expect anything out him next season.

nsport

Reaction score
Thurmond was lightning in a bottle when we needed him this year (Browner Suspension). Love the guy - economics might not keep him here, but he really is a good DB. The depth on this team is a reason we won this game - fortunately for us, the depth with our DB's is great with or without him.

Basis4day

Reaction score
ivotuk":3eblh06t said:
Basis4day":3eblh06t said:
TJH":3eblh06t said:
Basis4day":3eblh06t said:

1. The Defense played great. ---And covered for WTIII's mistakes
2. Thurmond played great this year until his suspension. ---So what happened?
3. Thurmond is miles ahead of Trufant last year. ---He's better than a guy cut by the Jags
4. Fans who think Thurmond is awful clearly forget Kelly Jennings. ---He's better than a guy who sucks?
6. This is classic nitpicking. ---This is discussing a topic. Should we not?
7. Nothing Thurmond did hurt us in any significant way whatsoever. ---It could have
8. The final score elaborates on point 7. ----The SuperB Owl is over. Some, such as the Head Coach and General Manager are looking towards winning the NFCW next year. Can't fans talk about that?

Still questioning why i come here? ---Yes :D

Ok. Is awful really the word that you should use?

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... -seahawks/

Thurmond has been targeted 53 times in the playoffs, giving up 34 receptions for just 252 yards. That works out at 7.4 yards per catch, the second-best mark among cornerbacks playing at least 25% of their team’s defensive snaps. More importantly, he’s yet to allow a touchdown this year while picking off one pass and breaking up four more. Topping it all off nicely, he has also given up just one penalty all year, a pass interference infraction against the Carolina Panthers in Week 1.

HawkWow

Reaction score
razgriz737":2r4d9mi4 said:
One bad play does stick out in my mind. He was covering somebody and he ran into Chancellor while covering him. It was like we ran a pick play on ourselves.

He also thought he was Kam on one play, tried to drill the back instead of wrapping him up. He got bounced and the play resulted in a 3rd down conversion.. But now I'm being nit-picky. I had no issue with his overall play while on the field this year. It's easy to get spoiled and I think that's happening here...to a degree. As most have stated, he starts anywhere else, but that's not reason enough to sign him to a high digit deal, IMO.

formido

Reaction score
HawkWow":2yugfrn0 said:
James in PA":2yugfrn0 said:
Clayton said that Thurmond is likely gone because he's FA, we are loaded at that position, and there are likely trust issues stemming from his suspension.

Still a bit peeved with John but can't argue his sentiment here.

It's VERY easy now to dismiss the transgressions of Browner and Walter. But their actions could have easily cost us a title. If we lose just one more game, quite possible we are not champions today and their selfishness and stupidity should not be taken lightly if looking at the bigger picture.

I think Thurmond has the makings of an excellent corner. He's missed a lot of time so I am less concerned about his current play than I am his piss (no pun intended) poor decision making...and propensity for injury.

Next year will be tougher than last. History proves this to be true. We will have to be even better, tighter next year than last, if we have a shot at repeating. IMO.

Browner getting suspended was bad process, but in hindsight it didn't come anywhere near costing us a title. In fact, it may have earned us one. Maxwell has been much better than Browner, and that's been reflected both defensive passer rating (pass defense wins championships) and points per game allowed since Maxwell took over.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Our Defense did fine the 4 games he was out at the end of the year. I know we lost 2 of the 4, but it wasn't the D's fault.

We could easily just use Lane and hopefully Simon or a new draft pick can step up and fill the nickle void.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
I don't think awful is the right word here, he's expendable yes.

ceej22

Reaction score
Basis4day":cscdi9uj said:

Not only that it was Maxwell on that drive giving up the big plays.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3vsz4elf said:
blazen2392":3vsz4elf said:
I rewatched the superbowl game and noticed he was the weakest link out there. Getting beat, blown coverages. I like the guy but i think we should think about giving lane the chance to step up.

He had a bad game, but since when did we have reason to think he is a good slot corner?

Since he forced a really great slot corner into retirement because he was outplaying him. AW could have had a huge decline, but still.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
It did seem like he was perhaps the ONE defender that did not play the game of his life on super bowl sunday, but Peyton and the Broncos have made other corners look a lot worse. I like WTIII because he can play outside and in the slot. I do think we lose him, but I'd be happy if he came back.