This defense is unacceptable

cymatica

Reaction score
The defense looked fine, except for a few crucial missed tackles and awful penalties. They clearly went into this game to take away the big play and make Dak earn everything. It worked for the most part. Sure, they gave up yards, but that will happen when you play this style against good offenses. Ultimately, the game plan gave them the opportunity to win the game, and they came up short.
Lol what!? Is Pete standing behind you holding a gun as you type? The defense was leaving guys WIDE open all game. They were horrible even without all the bad calls. They gave up points on every drive except once when an open Lamb dropped the ball on 4th down.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The defense looked fine, except for a few crucial missed tackles and awful penalties. They clearly went into this game to take away the big play and make Dak earn everything. It worked for the most part. Sure, they gave up yards, but that will happen when you play this style against good offenses. Ultimately, the game plan gave them the opportunity to win the game, and they came up short.

The only major issue I saw is one we've known: without Nwosu, the Seahawks' defense can't create consistent pressure. Without that disruption, they're asking a lot out of secondary, particularly the safeties, in coverage. If I were to point blame, that's where I'd look. For the past five years, most analytics have shown that you need an elite defensive line to have an effective defense. And until recently, the Seahawks have built around their secondary. They don't have a top-20 player on the D-Line, and their best player is Williams—who they got during the season. That's what separates the Seahawks D from these other teams. Dallas, for example, had similar struggles as the Hawks, but their D-Line dominated when it mattered on those last three drives.
The defense gave up 41 points. Any defense that gives up that many points doesn’t look fine to about 99.9% of the fans watching the game.

LastRideOut

Reaction score
When will folks learn? Like, how many times do we have to do this?

Scapegoating coordinators that run Pete's system will never work. If you want actual change, the head guy has to go.

Careful what you wish for. Grass isn't always greener on the other side when a change is made in haste.

Not saying you are wrong though. I'm more concerned about the scouting when PC leaves, which is why I'd like for JS to stay on.

OP
OP
mistaowen

mistaowen

Reaction score
Thinking the defense was fine while giving up a scoring drive on 8/9 series and only reason it wasn’t 9/9 was because a pro bowl WR dropped an open first down is an interesting stance to take. Cowboys quite literally did whatever they wanted for 80% of their drives. Two decent stands in the red zone and otherwise garbage.

I don’t understand defending: 33 first downs, over 36 minutes time of possession, 0 punts, 0 takeaways, 41 points given up, 400+ total yards. They already are ranked in the bottom of the league in most metrics, have to assume as of next week they’ll be completely in the cellar. Then 49ers and Eagles games won’t help. This is a bottom 5 defense in the NFL and we shouldn’t just be “ok” with it because the offense finally showed up and kept it close.

Just look within the division at the Rams who are a bunch of castaways and day 3 draft picks, fielding a better unit. It’s awful how bad the unit is with so much invested in it.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Thinking the defense was fine while giving up a scoring drive on 8/9 series and only reason it wasn’t 9/9 was because a pro bowl WR dropped an open first down is an interesting stance to take. Cowboys quite literally did whatever they wanted for 80% of their drives. Two decent stands in the red zone and otherwise garbage.

I don’t understand defending: 33 first downs, over 36 minutes time of possession, 0 punts, 0 takeaways, 41 points given up, 400+ total yards. They already are ranked in the bottom of the league in most metrics, have to assume as of next week they’ll be completely in the cellar. Then 49ers and Eagles games won’t help. This is a bottom 5 defense in the NFL and we shouldn’t just be “ok” with it because the offense finally showed up and kept it close.

Just look within the division at the Rams who are a bunch of castaways and day 3 draft picks, fielding a better unit. It’s awful how bad the unit is with so much invested in it.
There were zero punts by either team in the game last night. Dallas' defense is currently ranked one of the best in the league. Were they garbage too? It was a close game wherein we turned the ball over on downs for our final two possession opportunities. Combine that with some questionable officiating throughout the contest and we got the result.
Our rebuilding effort is showing signs of being a great success. IMO the only difference in skill level of the two teams in the game last night was QB play. Geno mostly turned in a commendable performance, except when it mattered most. Having said that, Geno is also credited for a lot of receiver mistakes that he cannot control when the ball is already in the air.
I think there is a lot of poster venting going on last night and today (I can be as guilty of that as anyone else) that is totally undeserved by our team and the coaching staff. I'd love to hear members of our roster and staff vent about fan ignorance of the reality that is the games. Fade would earn his sig name, Pitt would be in one, etc. etc.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
The defense has been poor 3 straight years running. Why is this so hard to accept by some here?
They are even worse in advanced metrics too. They are bad!!!

hangumhi

Reaction score
I cant stand Hurtt, but this terrible defense is 1000% on Pete. He has failed for YEARS now to field anything but below average defenses. Absolutely unacceptable for a defensive minded head coach.
I've long suggested Pete is scared of Jamal. I've never thought Jamal was a good safety. He's a better LB than safety but if he played LB he'd be injured in the first quarter of every game he started.

knownone

Reaction score
The defense gave up 41 points. Any defense that gives up that many points doesn’t look fine to about 99.9% of the fans watching the game.
I don't care what 99.9% of fans think.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
We may have the worst Safety duo in the league while simultaneously paying them the most out of any team. This alone is a fireable offense considering the money that could have been spent on D-line instead.
I don’t understand why Woolen wasn’t getting help from safeties on Lamb.

knownone

Reaction score
Lol what!? Is Pete standing behind you holding a gun as you type? The defense was leaving guys WIDE open all game. They were horrible even without all the bad calls. They gave up points on every drive except once when an open Lamb dropped the ball on 4th down.
What did you think of Dallas's defense?

OP
OP
mistaowen

mistaowen

Reaction score
I don't care what 99.9% of fans think.

Coming into last night the Seahawks defense ranked:
Overall - 24th
Pass D - 23rd
Run D - 22nd
Scoring D - 25th
3rd down D - 29th
Red zone D - 24th

Giving up another 400 yards and 41 points, one would assume those ranks get worse by Tuesday.

Is being bottom 10 in almost all metrics fan overreaction?

knownone

Reaction score
Coming into last night the Seahawks defense ranked:
Overall - 24th
Pass D - 23rd
Run D - 22nd
Scoring D - 25th
3rd down D - 29th
Red zone D - 24th

Giving up another 400 yards and 41 points, one would assume those ranks get worse by Tuesday.

Is being bottom 10 in almost all metrics fan overreaction?
That's a separate discussion. I'm speaking specifically about the performance last night. The defense was fine. They did enough for Seattle to win despite being on the wrong end of a few egregious penalties.

No one said "overreaction." Fans can think whatever they want. That doesn't mean I have to care what they think.

cymatica

Reaction score
What did you think of Dallas's defense?
Not great, but seemed more like Geno was throwing darts in tight Windows. We were leaving guys wide open. We also see the same porous defense week after week, year after year.

knownone

Reaction score
Not great, but seemed more like Geno was throwing darts in tight Windows. We were leaving guys wide open. We also see the same porous defense week after week, year after year.
Statistically, Seattle had the better defense last night—more sacks, fewer yards per play, significantly better in the red zone, etc. They were also on the field nearly twice as long with, I believe, six drives extended by penalty (three awful calls), and still put us in position to win the game. They weren't good. They weren't great. They were fine.

cymatica

Reaction score
Statistically, Seattle had the better defense last night—more sacks, fewer yards per play, significantly better in the red zone, etc. They were also on the field nearly twice as long with, I believe, six drives extended by penalty (three awful calls), and still put us in position to win the game. They weren't good. They weren't great. They were fine.
Based on the amount of resources Seattle has poured into their defense, combined with all the weapons they have on offense, it shouldn't have been close.

knownone

Reaction score
Based on the amount of resources Seattle has poured into their defense, combined with all the weapons they have on offense, it shouldn't have been close.
Okay. That's not how reality works. But at least now I understand where you are coming from.