The Santa Clara 49ers implosion is imminent!

rlkats

Reaction score
RedAlice":1olss2px said:
ringless":1olss2px said:
Bump :snack:

Maybe the worst calendar year in Sports history?

Their off-season is sucking, but It's way to early to give up the "worst calendar year" title. We has lots and lotsa time to goes for that.

As to Niners - spent time last weekend with my little 11 year old Niner fan (the son of one of my friends). In addition to wanting to know when our Fantasy Football draft is going to be - UM! It's June. I haven't actually thought about that. I said, probably August, let's watch a couple pre-season games first.

Then he goes - So, tell me honest, are the 49ers going to suck this year? Now. There really is no way to tell an adorable little 11 year old face that: Yes, I think your team is going to suck this year.

So, I said: You know, sometimes when a team gets a new coach, it's a good thing and the team plays better.
Him: I love Harbaugh. I'm going to root for Michigan. I don't think that was good.
Me: Well, you still have a good Defense. I think you will still have that.
Him: Yeah. I think we could have that.

If the 11 year old fans are concerned, well.

Yup I am on board with the 11y/o. Youth with knowledge.

My Niners appear to be a train wreck happening.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Can't wait for Michigan to somehow win 10 games and the Niners to be in contention for the #1 pick

:stirthepot:

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Maulbert":3njduhke said:
ringless":3njduhke said:

For your, consideration, I offer you Seattle in 2008:

- Seahawks finish 4-12, their worst record since the Tom Flores era. Jim Mora and Timmay drafted Aaron Curry with the resultingly high draft pick.
- Mariners finished 61-101, the first $100 million payroll team to lose 100 games in a season. To add insult to injury, they swept the Athletics to end the season, giving the Nationals Stephen Strasburg.
-The Sonics finished 20-62 in their final season in Seattle (Kevin Durant's rookie season, his only one in Seattle), the worst record in the Western Conference. Clay *@&%* Bennett and David #$%^& Stern ripped them away to Oklahoma City in the offseason.

I will never forget how miserable that year was. :cussing:

Huskies went 0-12 in football too.

Though that wasn't miserable, that was absolutely hysterical :lol:

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
RedAlice":1af9o3fr said:
ringless":1af9o3fr said:

Their off-season is sucking, but It's way to early to give up the "worst calendar year" title. We has lots and lotsa time to goes for that.

As to Niners - spent time last weekend with my little 11 year old Niner fan (the son of one of my friends). In addition to wanting to know when our Fantasy Football draft is going to be - UM! It's June. I haven't actually thought about that. I said, probably August, let's watch a couple pre-season games first.

Then he goes - So, tell me honest, are the 49ers going to suck this year? Now. There really is no way to tell an adorable little 11 year old face that: Yes, I think your team is going to suck this year.

So, I said: You know, sometimes when a team gets a new coach, it's a good thing and the team plays better.
Him: I love Harbaugh. I'm going to root for Michigan. I don't think that was good.

That's just sad. But honestly 1992 and beyond, may Ken Behring die horribly with that Starbucks bastard it caused my hiatus from the Seahawks until Holmgren arrived, it was brutal back then. Far worse than even the Rams deal with.

Call me weird but I LOVED 2008 as far as the Seahawks were concerned because I absolutely knew Paul was pissed and was going to use his money to make a huge move.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":29wbiwap said:
Maulbert":29wbiwap said:
ringless":29wbiwap said:

For your, consideration, I offer you Seattle in 2008:

- Seahawks finish 4-12, their worst record since the Tom Flores era. Jim Mora and Timmay drafted Aaron Curry with the resultingly high draft pick.
- Mariners finished 61-101, the first $100 million payroll team to lose 100 games in a season. To add insult to injury, they swept the Athletics to end the season, giving the Nationals Stephen Strasburg.
-The Sonics finished 20-62 in their final season in Seattle (Kevin Durant's rookie season, his only one in Seattle), the worst record in the Western Conference. Clay *@&%* Bennett and David #$%^& Stern ripped them away to Oklahoma City in the offseason.

I will never forget how miserable that year was. :cussing:

Huskies went 0-12 in football too.

Though that wasn't miserable, that was absolutely hysterical :lol:

Honestly, I forgot that because I don't like the Huskies. Loved seeing an obviously inferior Cougar squad beat them in the Apple Cup that year, sending them into history.

Now if only the Ducks could bottom out like that. Only Pac-12 team I always root against. Only college teams I hate more than Oregon are Miami, Michigan, and Notre Dame.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Kyle_McLorgBASG/status/607708440647958528[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Kyle_McLorgBASG/status/607709079541182466[/tweet]

GIF-2.0.0.gif

Charlie Murphy Laughing Chappelles Show Prince

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":1f8peygn said:

GIF-2.0.0.gif

LOL, can't wait for the "spin" on this. 8) :snack:

RedAlice

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1yjcc66g said:
RedAlice":1yjcc66g said:
ringless":1yjcc66g said:

That's just sad. But honestly 1992 and beyond, may Ken Behring die horribly with that Starbucks bastard it caused my hiatus from the Seahawks until Holmgren arrived, it was brutal back then. Far worse than even the Rams deal with.

Call me weird but I LOVED 2008 as far as the Seahawks were concerned because I absolutely knew Paul was pissed and was going to use his money to make a huge move.

IMO, there is no reason to debate who has lived the "worst" as a fan. The fact is: finding a fan who loved her/his team during the worst - - LOVE and respect.

We all have our stories and in some odd way want to hear the others stories....keep sharing all of you. It's great and lovely and I am prolly not the only one enjoying.

Laloosh

Reaction score
I am bumping this because I was unable to watch football today and I am hoping that Marvin can provide some entertaining info about this fresh crop of Niner demi-gods that they've fielded.

What happened, Marv? (answer cannot contain any reference to the seahawks btw, this thread is about the demise of the 49ers)

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":1u4vrx6k said:

GIF-2.0.0.gif

Rex

Reaction score
11 year olds can be tricky but honesty is still the best policy, the low cal approach particularly. In other words don't sugar coat it. Tell him things don't look good for his team but that isn't written in stone. Then to give him a break from verifying same with the nearby rip rap tell him to recoup the cost of his sneakers by fetching you beers on demand, cold and not shaken. To that end beers will be opened toward his face unless it is determined that is what the wee bugger wants.

Rex

Reaction score
RedAlice":10k4qkxs said:
MizzouHawkGal":10k4qkxs said:
RedAlice":10k4qkxs said:
ringless":10k4qkxs said:

IMO, there is no reason to debate who has lived the "worst" as a fan. The fact is: finding a fan who loved her/his team during the worst - - LOVE and respect.

We all have our stories and in some odd way want to hear the others stories....keep sharing all of you. It's great and lovely and I am prolly not the only one enjoying.

I disagree. Rams fans have endured the worst 5 year span in NFL history. Then get an ingrate owner to deal with too. Dibs on worst. :34853_doh:

Marvin49

Reaction score
Laloosh":1up6499h said:
I am bumping this because I was unable to watch football today and I am hoping that Marvin can provide some entertaining info about this fresh crop of Niner demi-gods that they've fielded.

What happened, Marv? (answer cannot contain any reference to the seahawks btw, this thread is about the demise of the 49ers)

What happened?

Preseason stuff happened. A number of starters sat on both sides of the ball on both teams.

Kap made a nice completion to Boldin, missed Torrey Smith 55 yards downfield (this just in: he's fast), and threw one away when he was pressured out of the pocket and then he was done for the night.

Hyde had a nice little run there too that was negated by what looked to me like a BS holding call on Vance McDonald, but its preseason for the refs too. What'cha gonna do?

1st string D gave up a long catch and run TD when the WR beat ILB Moody and outran the safeties to the endzone. Not a good start.

Second series D seemed to be giving up yards in chunks as well until they got to the goal line. 3 stops, followed by an iffy PI in the endzone, followed by 4 more stops. D-Line looked really good there. Might be the best unit on the team.

Blaine Gabbert played well. Mostly against backups, but still...far cry from last preseason. Dylan Thompson didn't even look like a QB. Horrible.

Jarryd Hayne got all the press and he had a really nice 53 yard run and made some people miss in space, but the hole was enormous and he still runs very high. I was more impressed to be honest on his punt/kick returns. Small sample size and none went for huge yardage, but he had no problem making the catch with defenders very close and had no issues making that first guy miss. At 6-2, 220, he's a pretty big guy back there returning kicks. To me though, he doesn't yet look like a RB. Almost no natural body lean. Dude is gonna get blown up a few times.

In the second half the offense was horrible, mostly due to poor protection and Dylan Thompson. Just couldn't do anything.

Mike Davis looked pretty good tho in very limited duty and reminds me a bit of a bigger, slower Garrison Hearst. Same number too.

Jaquiski Tartt made a few really nice plays including a nice play in the backfield.

Arik Armstead was a mixed bag. Looked really good on some playes and really not on others. Kinda expected though as we knew he was raw. On one play he completely pancaked the center. On a few others he was completely removed from the hole.

That's all off the top of my head. Preseason football is really only a measure of preseason football. Really hard to gauge anything when starters are only in for a drive and even then both teams are sitting several of them.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^ Agreed with all that.

Only possible disagreements/additions:

1) I thought the holding call on McDonald was legit, although I didn't like the P.I. call on Brock either.

2) Surprisingly effective play from the first and second string O Lines.

3) According to PFF Skov graded out well but I thought both he and Moody were really bad; I'm thankful neither of them are starters (despite starting this game)

4) Very nice first game for Tartt and for the first time I'm open to the possiblity of sometimes running a big nickle with him on the field, but am still wait and see on that.

5) Interior D-line is just really deep. Best I've ever seen of Purcell, and Okoye actually looked like a football player too. Ian Williams seems back too. A really quiet day for Carradine, though.

6) Not much from Harold and Lemonier doesn't appear to have changed at all. Really very little pass rush for the whole game, although the D-line was good in run support, particularly for the stretch zone runs that Houston loves.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3ds0lm59 said:
^^^^ Agreed with all that.

Only possible disagreements/additions:

1) I thought the holding call on McDonald was legit, although I didn't like the P.I. call on Brock either.

2) Surprisingly effective play from the first and second string O Lines.

3) According to PFF Skov graded out well but I thought both he and Moody were really bad; I'm thankful neither of them are starters (despite starting this game)

4) Very nice first game for Tartt and for the first time I'm open to the possiblity of sometimes running a big nickle with him on the field, but am still wait and see on that.

5) Interior D-line is just really deep. Best I've ever seen of Purcell, and Okoye actually looked like a football player too. Ian Williams seems back too. A really quiet day for Carradine, though.

6) Not much from Harold and Lemonier doesn't appear to have changed at all. Really very little pass rush for the whole game, although the D-line was good in run support, particularly for the stretch zone runs that Houston loves.

McDonald had his hands on him but he was holding his chest as he's allowed to do just as O-Linemen do. Kinda a touchy call IMO, but no worries.

Agreed on the O-Line....on the long pass to Torrey, Kap had all day....but then again Watt didn't play.

Agree on the D-Line. Okoye actually really looked like a player out there. Hit the QB on a few occasions. Far cry from the totally out of place guy he was a few years ago.

Harold got a few pressures and hits, but Lemonier was invisible and didn't support the run well either.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Yeah, I think with McDonald it could have been him demonstrably raising his arms up and out in that "I'm not holding!" way that could have ended up drawing the flag; that and it being his man who ended up making the tackle a few more yards downfield, IIRC.

It was close, or at least, much closer than I thought the Brock one was.

NINEster

Reaction score
Hawk fans can hate on the Niners all they want but be consistent with your blame of Harbaugh vs Baalke vs York.

You see, Niner fans defended Harbaugh up until week 17 ended last year because he was our family member.

Now that he's gone and taken his annoying shtick with him, I for one have cared a helluva lot less in defending him than I did before.

Grateful for turnaround, but he was his own worst enemy. In a league where close but no cigar is a legitimate reason for contempt (see Andy Reid, Eagles) then you have to ask why did this guy fail to get it done just once in 3 years??

Coupled with this unprecedented firing , I have to side with management on this one.

York might not be his uncle or any other great owner but Harbaugh really had to have done himself in.

Even Eddie D was a hot head enough to fire Bill Walsh several times after losses, but at least he unfired him every time.

I'd imagine the Harbaugh firing had Eddie's blessing on some level.

It's scary and sad for a niner fan to think the most talented 53 the last few years was SF even over the vaunted Seahawks.

8-8 last year spoke volumes maybe more than the post season defeats.

And now Harbaugh lucks out that every star player retired to further protect his rep , lol.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
NINEster":1sstt7ot said:
Hawk fans can hate on the Niners all they want but be consistent with your blame of Harbaugh vs Baalke vs York.

You see, Niner fans defended Harbaugh up until week 17 ended last year because he was our family member.

Now that he's gone and taken his annoying shtick with him, I for one have cared a helluva lot less in defending him than I did before.

Grateful for turnaround, but he was his own worst enemy. In a league where close but no cigar is a legitimate reason for contempt (see Andy Reid, Eagles) then you have to ask why did this guy fail to get it done just once in 3 years??

Coupled with this unprecedented firing , I have to side with management on this one.

York might not be his uncle or any other great owner but Harbaugh really had to have done himself in.

Even Eddie D was a hot head enough to fire Bill Walsh several times after losses, but at least he unfired him every time.

I'd imagine the Harbaugh firing had Eddie's blessing on some level.

It's scary and sad for a niner fan to think the most talented 53 the last few years was SF even over the vaunted Seahawks.

8-8 last year spoke volumes maybe more than the post season defeats.

And now Harbaugh lucks out that every star player retired to further protect his rep , lol.

I cannot argue with much of what you said but I think you are dead wrong about the niners having the most talent 53 over the past few years. I think they were close, but I think it's wrong and a myth that niner fans got sucked into, especially the denialzoner's.

The same fans that think that SF had the most talented 53 for a few years are the same folks that think after losing most of that talent either thru retirement, injury, or law breaking, the niners will win 10+ games and have a good shot at the playoffs.