The Russell Wilson Ankle Injury Thread (post updates here)

Burnplant

Reaction score
Put Boykin and break out the old Dolphins film for a Rawls/C-mike Wildcat.

Since the Rams have been game planning all summer for their super bowl, it will really mess them up.

Might work for a game at least...

(not really serious)

kearly

Reaction score
DavidSeven":24fdebx4 said:
I think he'll be fine. A doctor's opinion (from what he saw on video) -- basically confirmed by Carroll's comments this morning:

MMMD 2: How bad is Russell Wilson’s injury?

Seahawks fans continue to worry about their star quarterback’s ankle injury. By video, it was a high ankle sprain type mechanism, but appeared to be mild. Wilson was able to finish the game.

High ankle sprains are the dreaded type that can have a player out for multiple weeks; however, like all injuries, there are different levels of severity. Wilson was seen in a boot after the game and that is commonly used to control swelling overnight. The fact that he was putting weight on it and out at a restaurant were good signs as well. A more severe high ankle sprain would have necessitated crutches and at home ice/elevation/ compression.

The worry is how much swelling there will be the next day and this will be the key. Expect Wilson to be limited in practice but I also expect/hope he will be ready for Week Two despite early reports to the contrary.

https://twitter.com/ProFootballDoc/stat ... 0174723076

Nice find.

Just my unqualified opinion, but having played through similar injuries, a good tape job and adrenaline is enough to get you to 80%. Wilson will have to adjust a little in how he steps into his throws and he won't be nearly as much of a mobility threat, but this could also be a blessing in disguise if it means he curbs some of his rabbit ways and focuses on traditional QB play.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
kearly":38a03gry said:
DavidSeven":38a03gry said:
I think he'll be fine. A doctor's opinion (from what he saw on video) -- basically confirmed by Carroll's comments this morning:

MMMD 2: How bad is Russell Wilson’s injury?

Seahawks fans continue to worry about their star quarterback’s ankle injury. By video, it was a high ankle sprain type mechanism, but appeared to be mild. Wilson was able to finish the game.

High ankle sprains are the dreaded type that can have a player out for multiple weeks; however, like all injuries, there are different levels of severity. Wilson was seen in a boot after the game and that is commonly used to control swelling overnight. The fact that he was putting weight on it and out at a restaurant were good signs as well. A more severe high ankle sprain would have necessitated crutches and at home ice/elevation/ compression.

The worry is how much swelling there will be the next day and this will be the key. Expect Wilson to be limited in practice but I also expect/hope he will be ready for Week Two despite early reports to the contrary.

https://twitter.com/ProFootballDoc/stat ... 0174723076

Nice find.

Just my unqualified opinion, but having played through similar injuries, a good tape job and adrenaline is enough to get you to 80%. Wilson will have to adjust a little in how he steps into his throws and he won't be nearly as much of a mobility threat, but this could also be a blessing in disguise if it means he curbs some of his rabbit ways and focuses on traditional QB play.
My unqualified opinion is the same as yours all the way around.

HawkGA

Reaction score
If putting Boykin in would force Pete and Bevel to go spread more, it might be worth it.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
kearly":3r72nh1c said:
Nice find.

Tape, adrenaline, and toradol more likely :lol:

OP
OP
H

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Classic high ankle sprain. Fortunately, it looked like the foot turned only 45 degrees instead of 90+. It will hurt like hell and will limit his mobility, but he should be able to play on it.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/775093626502209537[/tweet]

andyh64000

Reaction score
I think Wilson should start but we should put in a game plan that gets us a 42 point lead at halftime so that he can sit out the 2nd half.

A

Anonymous

andyh64000":54770qwf said:
I think Wilson should start but we should put in a game plan that gets us a 42 point lead at halftime so that he can sit out the 2nd half.

I like it.

Let's do that.

iigakusei

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":7pyvfdan said:
andyh64000":7pyvfdan said:

I like it.

Let's do that.
Absolutely brilliant - it is so crazy it just might work. Bevell is all over it I am sure.

kearly

Reaction score
It's possible that the ankle will get worse before it gets better. That said, Wilson actually looked his best AFTER the injury, particularly on the game winning drive. He had some really nice throws in the 4th quarter, and even ran a bit.

He'll probably be 80% for much of the season, but with a good gameplan he'll still be able to shred. I worry more about Wilson's usage than his health right now.

My only major worry is that sometimes one injury opens the door for another. If Seattle sits Russell against the Rams I'll completely understand.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
This ankle injury might be a good thing for 2 reasons:

1) It will inspire his teammates to play their hardest.

2) It will help improve Russ's pocket passing.

TatupuIsRRRR

Reaction score
This guy/gal is turning into my favorite poster.

Thanks!!! I say what is in my heart because it is good and i love the SEAHAWKS! Also Russ going to play this week, doctor say most would sit with the sprain but Russ going to keep on playing because he very strong man the structures are still good and not danger just sore. Russell Wilson make very big fan for me with his heart and toughguy.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2na4renc said:
Hate to say it but there's absolutely nothing to be gained by having an injured Wilson play through this. He's better off resting, recovering, trying to get to 100% and returning whenever possible.

They need someone who can lead a conservative offense, get them in and out of plays and run the ball. Defense and running game is good enough to win with that scenario.

Should've had an experienced backup weeks ago. It was a bad decision to roll with an UDFA rookie as the only alternative. A wasted opportunity.

I was just going to make a post saying they shouldn't play Wilson this week . I'd sit him and let Boykin deal with the Rams pass rush. If he reinjure's it playing against the Rams it this could go on for half the season it's not worth it.

OP
OP
H

hawknation2016

Reaction score
This could help Russell develop even more as a pocket passer, forcing him to trust his offensive line and climb the pocket, rather than running backwards all the time. As far as the offensive line, it puts a lot of pressure on them to block plays cleanly. This will also force Bevell to stick with the run game and quick passing attack.

nrayorr

Reaction score
getnasty":33lsxcq4 said:
Also if he can't go, I'd rather have Boykin against the Rams then most guys, at least he'll be able to escape pressure which could lead to big plays.
:ditto:

I completely agree with this. Let's just see how Boykin performs in the regular season against a pretty darn good D in the Rams. It's early enough in the season to see how he handles this kind of pressure.

Largent80

Reaction score
I just finished watching the game again. Wilson will be fine this week. He played almost the entire 2nd half, and playing well including running.

Practicing for him this week shouldn't be that big of a deal. If our defense plays like they did in yesterday s game and Earl Thomas actually shows up we will win easily.

Rocket

Reaction score
Mistashoesta":i2abp5i0 said:
TatupuIsRRRR":i2abp5i0 said:
Now we see if recovery water actual very good for make better. That ankle feel like terrible today.

This guy/gal is turning into my favorite poster.
Absolutely... Reminds me of my aunts and uncles from the Old Country.
I WANT MORE...

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Watching the Suh video again -- it doesn't look as bad as I remember yesterday. Suh only catches him with the edge of his shoe -- doesn't put all his weight on RW.

His ankle bends back. But it's not a complete rotation. It's clearly not a break.

Might just be really sore for a couple of weeks.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
I'll leave it up to Pete and Russell. You're taking a risk with every snap, so worrying about what might happen doesn't really matter. If he was seen dining out after the game, I expect it to be not as bad as feared.

Latest posts