The 49ers Really Botched The QB Spot This Year

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
I don’t see it with Trey Lance as a pocket passer. He throws a very wobbly off target football at times but I can see him being utilized as a runner. It’s hard to translate game speed from North Dakota State to the NFL though so you can’t really blame him. Glad they didn’t draft Mac Jones that dude throws a beautiful ball. Now they have 2 quarterbacks that (let’s face it) can’t really throw Dimes so it makes it a little easier defensively to scheme against. Jimmy G scares no secondary in this league with his arm or lack there of. I know he took them to the SB but he threw like 6 passes to get there and 4 were shovel passes lol Jimmy G wasn’t the reason you could’ve had Reese Witherspoon in a quarterback and still rolled on in with that defense. Fast forward to the present and 49ers are still hoping and praying for a halfway decent passer at the quarterback position

toffee

Reaction score
[instagram][/instagram]
ArlosSpecial":25xq60h1 said:
I don’t see it with Trey Lance as a pocket passer. He throws a very wobbly off target football at times but I can see him being utilized as a runner. It’s hard to translate game speed from North Dakota State to the NFL though so you can’t really blame him. Glad they didn’t draft Mac Jones that dude throws a beautiful ball. Now they have 2 quarterbacks that (let’s face it) can’t really throw Dimes so it makes it a little easier defensively to scheme against. Jimmy G scares no secondary in this league with his arm or lack there of. I know he took them to the SB but he threw like 6 passes to get there and 4 were shovel passes lol Jimmy G wasn’t the reason you could’ve had Reese Witherspoon in a quarterback and still rolled on in with that defense. Fast forward to the present and 49ers are still hoping and praying for a halfway decent passer at the quarterback position

Based on what you said, sounded like Trey could be an excellent TE, every team can use an excellent TE, or two, right?

Trey does have a strong arm, there's no doubt about it. Just like what Druckenmiller told the WR corp. including one Jerry Rice, to be prepared for someone throwed hard, unlike the squishy stuff they have been getting from Steve Young. Trey throws hard, it's for the WR to adjust to his style, not that other way around. If the current WR can't make that adjustment, Shanahan will find the ones that could catch fast balls. Simple as that.

hawk45

Reaction score
I totally agree they are wise to keep JG because Lance is rough but the issue is with what they are spending on JG and what they gave up for Lance they have so much invested in the position that things need to go exactly right for it to work. Lance pretty much has to be a huge upgrade over JG by year two. He can’t just be a bit better or still dicey.

You give up the haul of picks for the Luck type sure thing (which comes once a decade), and obviously injuries even derailed Luck. Lance is wayyyy more high risk.

Shanahan is a top notch offensive mind no doubt but to use that as the argument is laughable. Offensive mind and striking gold at QB aren’t that connected; if Shanahan had the perfect crystal ball then JG wouldn’t have gotten huge money and shanahan wouldn’t need to pay JG while giving up a ransom of draft capital on a last desperation roll of the dice.

This looks like a desperation risk by shanahan. BUT, I would probably say that desperation is the right move if he thinks his roster window is closing.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Lol. TE.

You guys crack me up. Dude hasn’t even taken a reagular season snap and you are fitting him for a position change.

Comical.

49ers used to have this guy who ran around a lot and threw some wobblers out there. For awhile people said he should move to RB because Niners just wouldn’t ever win anything with him at QB. Took him some time but once he got going he was pretty damn good.

His name was Steve Young.

2 QBs who can’t throw dimes? Uh….you might want to watch his preseason again. His problem right now is consistency, which is exactly what you would expect of a QB who played on game last year and only started 17 NFL games.

I dunno how this is gonna play out, but you guys are reaching.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawk45":2oszww3m said:
I totally agree they are wise to keep JG because Lance is rough but the issue is with what they are spending on JG and what they gave up for Lance they have so much invested in the position that things need to go exactly right for it to work. Lance pretty much has to be a huge upgrade over JG by year two. He can’t just be a bit better or still dicey.

You give up the haul of picks for the Luck type sure thing (which comes once a decade), and obviously injuries even derailed Luck. Lance is wayyyy more high risk.

Shanahan is a top notch offensive mind no doubt but to use that as the argument is laughable. Offensive mind and striking gold at QB aren’t that connected; if Shanahan had the perfect crystal ball then JG wouldn’t have gotten huge money and shanahan wouldn’t need to pay JG while giving up a ransom of draft capital on a last desperation roll of the dice.

This looks like a desperation risk by shanahan. BUT, I would probably say that desperation is the right move if he thinks his roster window is closing.

RE Lance in year 2, I actually agree with you. I also think this was a big risk. Been saying that from the start. Jimmy still has 2 years under contract, so the hope is that he plays well this year to trade him next year and recover a bit of the draft capitol they gave up for Trey.

I honestly don’t know why this is so hard to understand for the media. Trey was never drafted with the thought that he would be the week one starter. Nothing has changed.

No question, 49ers swung for the fences in this one. It’s a big gamble. Time will tell if it works out. All I can say is I like what I’ve seen from Lance. There are moments that he just looks special. Trent Williams calls him a generational talent.

I don’t know if that is true or not, but there is ALOT of story here left to write. This is just the start.

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
hawk45":2hb8evmr said:

Exactly and well stated I might add. They're paying top 5 money to a guy that throws 8 passes per game. It'll hurt them long term. John Lynch hasn't really impressed me at all in their FO. For every Kittle and Warner there's a Reuben Foster, Solomon Thomas and Jalen Hurd.

hawk45

Reaction score
Marvin49":374b3bxc said:
hawk45":374b3bxc said:

RE Lance in year 2, I actually agree with you. I also think this was a big risk. Been saying that from the start. Jimmy still has 2 years under contract, so the hope is that he plays well this year to trade him next year and recover a bit of the draft capitol they gave up for Trey.

I honestly don’t know why this is so hard to understand for the media. Trey was never drafted with the thought that he would be the week one starter. Nothing has changed.

No question, 49ers swung for the fences in this one. It’s a big gamble. Time will tell if it works out. All I can say is I like what I’ve seen from Lance. There are moments that he just looks special. Trent Williams calls him a generational talent.

I don’t know if that is true or not, but there is ALOT of story here left to write. This is just the start.
Yep. The risk is what is eye popping here but the story is absolutely still to be written, for the simple fact that as always with this position, if you really hit on one, it will be viewed as a success.

I like it personally because it is going to make for compelling viewing this season, although I always love watching the niners because of division ramifications and rivalry.

And hey, Lance can look forward to throwing completion after completion at our terrifying corner position so there’s that.

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
Marvin49":29yj2kkm said:
Lol. TE.

You guys crack me up. Dude hasn’t even taken a reagular season snap and you are fitting him for a position change.

Comical.

49ers used to have this guy who ran around a lot and threw some wobblers out there. For awhile people said he should move to RB because Niners just wouldn’t ever win anything with him at QB. Took him some time but once he got going he was pretty damn good.

2 QBs who can’t throw dimes? Uh….you might want to watch his preseason again. His problem right now is consistency, which is exactly what you would expect of a QB who played on game last year and only started 17 NFL games.

Steve Young threw darts. Tight left handed spirals on the run. No offence but I haven't seen that ability from Trey Lance. Could he be good if he learns how to thread the needle on the run, throw more of a catchable ball and become a leader of men? Time will tell my guy

toffee

Reaction score
ArlosSpecial":6k00wixe said:
Marvin49":6k00wixe said:
Lol. TE.

Comical.

Steve Young threw darts. Tight left handed spirals on the run. No offence but I haven't seen that ability from Trey Lance. Could he be good if he learns how to thread the needle on the run, throw more of a catchable ball and become a leader of men? Time will tell my guy

Steve Young was accurate, one of the reasons why Bill Walsh signed him. Young was not known to have an extraordinarily strong arm, but was accurate.

hawk45

Reaction score
Marvins point with young was that he wasn’t viewed as a sure thing, far from it. He was viewed as a big bust actually after 2 years in Tampa.

If you’re a fan of a football team who selected a talented but unproven player naturally you are going to look to an example like young. Not as a down the line parallel but as a “hey anything can happen” example.

At this point Lance is an unknown in terms of whether that talent can be shaped into an NFL passer. He’s not a sure thing, he’s not a lost cause. If I’m a niner fan I’m gonna be dreaming about a young type outcome also.

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
Actually they planned on drafting Vinny Testeverde and traded him figuring Vinny would be the shit. He had a decent career but that’s about it. Young on the other hand balled out at BYU. They rolled the dice it happens. Kurt Warner is actually a better example given his career in the arena league prior to the NFL

Marvin49

Reaction score
The only reason Steve Young wasn't a top 10 pick was that he signed with the USFL.

He struggled bad in Tampa before Walsh got him cheap when the Bucs took Vinny.

Steve always had gifts, but he wasn't as naturally talented as Lance is now.

As Steve would tell you...he worked at it. ALOT. He got better. Steve is a story of an very talented player who stuck with it and worked his a$$ off.

So far there is no indication that Lance won't work as hard. In fact, dude has worked his butt off.

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
Oh there's no denying his potential. Hybrid quarterbacks are a dime a dozen these days but it's rare to find an athlete that can both run and throw accurate spirals.

Marvin49

Reaction score
ArlosSpecial":293z4ztu said:
Oh there's no denying his potential. Hybrid quarterbacks are a dime a dozen these days but it's rare to find an athlete that can both run and throw accurate spirals.

What he lacks most right now is consistency. Every game he wows you a few times and leaves you scratching your head a few times.

He has all the raw tools. Great athlete, big arm, wants to be great, he's smart and he's willing to put the work in.

He just has a LONG way to go. We'll see if he gets there.

My guess? The Trey Lance who enters camp for the 2022 season looks like a completely different guy than the one we see now.

Shanahans offense is a challenge for ANY QB, let alone a rookie with 17 starts and hasn't played in a year. This was always gonna be a process. Yes, there was a ton of media noise about starting week one, I heard reports of him being "Mahomes-like" in camp, et, etc.

Just like slow the hell down. LOL. There is a reason the 49ers had no intention of getting rid of Jimmy. "He's payed too much" blah, blah, blah. His salary right now isn't top 5. Is 12th on per year basis. Cousins, Wentz, Ryan, and Tannehill all make more. They made it work, Kept their FA, and extended Warner. They are fine. Next year his $$$ will be gone and if he plays well they may even be able to recoup some of the draft capitol they gave up for Lance.

The hype was so high on Lance early that all of the sudden everyone lost sight of how realistic it was for him to win this job. It was always a long shot for him to start.

I like what I see and I see all the warts. Just needs time and reps.

I agree tho with a previous poster...he needs to be THE GUY next year. No getting around it. He needs to be a good to great NFL QB next year.

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
Good points and Kyle Shanahan is a great offensive minded coach with a creative playbook so if anyone can make it work he can. Mac Jones would've been there at 13 without wasting 2 firsts and a third though.

chris98251

Reaction score
Marvin49":3cza3x0s said:
The only reason Steve Young wasn't a top 10 pick was that he signed with the USFL.

He struggled bad in Tampa before Walsh got him cheap when the Bucs took Vinny.

Steve always had gifts, but he wasn't as naturally talented as Lance is now.

As Steve would tell you...he worked at it. ALOT. He got better. Steve is a story of an very talented player who stuck with it and worked his a$$ off.

So far there is no indication that Lance won't work as hard. In fact, dude has worked his butt off.

Steve was a total ass and thought he was above playing for a loser and took the USFL gig for money that was beyond reasonable, anyone would have, but he was dead against the Bucs. Then the USFL busted and he got a paltry portion of his 40 million, went to Bucs and pouted from what I remember, They figured he was a bust and the 49ers picked him up as a back up and project behind Montana.

Walsh, Holmgren and a great system when he got the chance resurrected his Bust label and he flourished after that but he has always been an ass.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Marvin49":1rke6oia said:
What he lacks most right now is consistency. Every game he wows you a few times and leaves you scratching your head a few times.

The NFL is a game of mistakes, Lance had 8 turnover worthy plays in about 4 quarters of action in the pre-season. He is a mistake waiting to happen and that is why Shanny has no choice but to stick with Jimmy, and sprinkle in Lance as a runner. He has to be a gimmick starting out because of how mistake prone he is.

He has all the raw tools. Great athlete, big arm, wants to be great, he's smart and he's willing to put the work in.

He is a disaster in the pocket. Has no feel for the rush, he would lead the league in sacks by a country mile if he started all 17 games. Probably lead the league in turnovers as well, based on what he did in the preseason. A LONG way to go, would be putting it lightly. If he were a free throw shooter he would be Shaq with those bricks he's tossing, 10 drops. But he will be a very dynamic runner, so there's that.

Shanahans offense is a challenge for ANY QB, let alone a rookie with 17 starts and hasn't played in a year. This was always gonna be a process. Yes, there was a ton of media noise about starting week one, I heard reports of him being "Mahomes-like" in camp, et, etc.

Just like slow the hell down. LOL. There is a reason the 49ers had no intention of getting rid of Jimmy. "He's payed too much" blah, blah, blah. His salary right now isn't top 5. Is 12th on per year basis. Cousins, Wentz, Ryan, and Tannehill all make more. They made it work, Kept their FA, and extended Warner. They are fine. Next year his $$$ will be gone and if he plays well they may even be able to recoup some of the draft capitol they gave up for Lance.

The hype was so high on Lance early that all of the sudden everyone lost sight of how realistic it was for him to win this job. It was always a long shot for him to start.

I agree tho with a previous poster...he needs to be THE GUY next year. No getting around it. He needs to be a good to great NFL QB next year.

And that's the rub isn't it? He need to be the "Guy" next year, but he is a 3 year project as a passer. He can be a helluva running QB with Shanny scheming it up, but I have my doubts he will avoid major injury being used like a running back so frequently starting out. Worth using THREE 1sts and a 3rd, when Fields and Jones could've been had for far less? Bad move. Lance has to be WAY better than those 2 for the trade up to make sense.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MaioccoNBCS/status/1435012579026358277[/tweet]
Mac Jones would've beat out Jimmy easy.

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
I was looking at the 49ers cap space and they're screwed for the foreseeable future. Talk about a disastrous offseason. If Trey Lance doesn't work out they'll be the Lions of the west for the next decade lol Whoever told Lynch he was cut out for the front office is a cruel individual

Marvin49

Reaction score
ArlosSpecial":3npkn9ws said:
I was looking at the 49ers cap space and they're screwed for the foreseeable future. Talk about a disastrous offseason. If Trey Lance doesn't work out they'll be the Lions of the west for the next decade lol Whoever told Lynch he was cut out for the front office is a cruel individual

?

Um...OK.

They get 27 mil back next year if they trade/cut Jimmy and in 2023 the cap will balloon in a big way. I think you are overstating just a tad.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Fade":11vt9cgf said:
Marvin49":11vt9cgf said:

The NFL is a game of mistakes, Lance had 8 turnover worthy plays in about 4 quarters of action in the pre-season. He is a mistake waiting to happen and that is why Shanny has no choice but to stick with Jimmy, and sprinkle in Lance as a runner. He has to be a gimmick starting out because of how mistake prone he is.

He is a disaster in the pocket. Has no feel for the rush, he would lead the league in sacks by a country mile if he started all 17 games. Probably lead the league in turnovers as well, based on what he did in the preseason. A LONG way to go, would be putting it lightly. If he were a free throw shooter he would be Shaq with those bricks he's tossing, 10 drops. But he will be a very dynamic runner, so there's that.

And that's the rub isn't it? He need to be the "Guy" next year, but he is a 3 year project as a passer. He can be a helluva running QB with Shanny scheming it up, but I have my doubts he will avoid major injury being used like a running back so frequently starting out. Worth using THREE 1sts and a 3rd, when Fields and Jones could've been had for far less? Bad move. Lance has to be WAY better than those 2 for the trade up to make sense.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MaioccoNBCS/status/1435012579026358277[/tweet]
Mac Jones would've beat out Jimmy easy.

We'll see.

Latest posts