The 49ers Really Botched The QB Spot This Year

94Smith

Reaction score
Do you consider Beathard , Mullens and Hoyer average starting quarterbacks ? I’ll let you list the 15 quarterbacks that are behind them in ranking the top 32.

I will say one thing, Lynch and Shanahan have done everything really good other than the qb position .There they have done quite poorly . But it is the hardest position to get right and the most important .

Marvin49

Reaction score
So in response to a few things here...

1) Mac vs Lance: The entire argument going in was that Mac was more pro ready and that Lance had a much higher ceiling but was raw.

Guess what? Mac is more pro ready and Lance has a much higher ceiling but is still raw.

2) Someone here saying Bay Area Media turning on Shanahan. LOL. Like any other local media, there are always people who want to make a name for themselves with "hot takes". It does NOT reflect the mainstream in the Bay Area.

3) People quoting Grant Cohn. Sigh. I know how much people like to make fun of me and the "approved writers list", but its ALWAYS the Cohns who say this crap. Always. I'd also say that before you leap to his defense and say he's just a "truth sayer" and that's why Niner fans don't like him....

...he also said in January that Trey Lance was "Tim Tebow with a better 40 time". I know you guys love that....

....but NOW he says Lance is the most gifted QB EVER. Not just physically either. ALL of it. Physical, mental, character...That's his criticism...that he doesn't think Shanahan is coaching the most gifted QB ever correctly.

Just think about that for a sec before you quote Grant Cohn.

I really like Trey Lance...but dude. Hyperbole much?

4) As for that argument about Shanahan....Niners went the the SB with Jimmy. He made Matt Shaub a Pro Bowl QB. He made Kirk Cousins a Pro Bowl QB. He made RGIII rookie of the year. He made Matt freakin Ryan a league MVP. He won games with Nick Mullens and through 13 games was on a yardage tear for the ages. NICK. MULLENS.

Maybe, JUST maybe, Kyle has a bit more of a clue that Grant f'in Cohn.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Fade":2lzst0qe said:
And so it begins…

There are rumblings in the bay area and people are starting to question, why use THREE 1sts and 3rd for a project QB, when they could've stood pat at 12 and selected Mac Jones or Justin Fields who can start right now?

[youtube]taRXKHSSpB0[/youtube]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AtienzaWalter/status/1432818291630739459[/tweet]

Walter Atienza's tweet hits the nail on the head.

This is going to be a fun year.

And it gets more interesting… The Dolphins can turn around and use some of the acquired picks they got from the Niners to get Deshaun Watson. The Niners get Lance, the Dolphins get Watson? Seems fair. :D

This is what I was referring to RE Cohn.

Meanwhile...also Cohn....

[tweet]https://twitter.com/grantcohn/status/1432918536461058048[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/grantcohn/status/1432903843017216007[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/grantcohn/status/1432900305419526150[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/grantcohn/status/1432892807815970819[/tweet]

That's the guy you are quoting.

As for your "and so it begins", there have been people in the Bay Area wondering that from the beginning? (did they need to move up).

I have a different question in regards to Grants comments....

....if he really is the most physically gifted QB he's ever seen, why does he assume that guy would fall to 12? If Lance really is the full package as he says, then why would other teams pass on him?

This is just an example of his reporting and why I have FOR YEARS been saying he's horrible. Keep in mind I'm saying this not just when he's critical, but when he is calling Lance the most gifted QB he's ever seen.

Its all BS.

toffee

Reaction score
Marvin49":1fmzt9to said:

1) Mac vs Lance: The entire argument going in was that Mac was more pro ready and that Lance had a much higher ceiling but was raw.

Guess what? Mac is more pro ready and Lance has a much higher ceiling but is still raw.

Mac has shown that he MAY be pro ready with his pre-season performance, we shall find out for sure once the season starts. Lance MAY have much higher ceiling, but this is purely speculative, the only thing Lance has shown is being a very raw QB.

Marvin49

Reaction score
toffee":30dxvggh said:
Marvin49":30dxvggh said:

Mac has shown that he MAY be pro ready with his pre-season performance, we shall find out for sure once the season starts. Lance MAY have much higher ceiling, but this is purely speculative, the only thing Lance has shown is being a very raw QB.

My point is that what is happening is what was expected.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Marvin49":3n1hi05l said:
4) As for that argument about Shanahan....Niners went the the SB with Jimmy. He made Matt Shaub a Pro Bowl QB. He made Kirk Cousins a Pro Bowl QB. He made RGIII rookie of the year. He made Matt freakin Ryan a league MVP. He won games with Nick Mullens and through 13 games was on a yardage tear for the ages. NICK. MULLENS.

Kirk Cousins' only Pro Bowl was under Sean McVay, not Shanahan. And the whole Shanahan staff did more to kill RG3 than get him to the Pro Bowl. He carried them, not vice-versa. Schaub also made the Pro Bowl after Shanny left Houston, so let's not pretend that was a solo effort. Matt Ryan was not a JAG. He's thrown for 4,000 yards for 10 straight seasons and has missed only 3 games in his entire career. Only 8 guys have thrown for more yards and only 9 have thrown more TDs than him.

:sarcasm_on: Also: Ooh, winning with Nick Mullens. Surely, he is a genius!!! :sarcasm_off:

Marvin49

Reaction score
Maulbert":1kvz7igg said:
Marvin49":1kvz7igg said:

Kirk Cousins' only Pro Bowl was under Sean McVay, not Shanahan. And the whole Shanahan staff did more to kill RG3 than get him to the Pro Bowl. He carried them, not vice-versa. Schaub also made the Pro Bowl after Shanny left Houston, so let's not pretend that was a solo effort. Matt Ryan was not a JAG. He's thrown for 4,000 yards for 10 straight seasons and has missed only 3 games in his entire career. Only 8 guys have thrown for more yards and only 9 have thrown more TDs than him.

:sarcasm_on: Also: Ooh, winning with Nick Mullens. Surely, he is a genius!!! :sarcasm_off:

Wow. LOL. Getting deep in here.

The Shanahans drafted Cousins. McVay is a disciple of the Shanahans. TOTAL BS on RGIII. Kyle crafted an offense that made him Rookie of the Year. What has RGIII done since? Are you honestly gonna tell me that him getting hurt in his rookie year has made him suck on every other team he's been on for a decade? Please.

RGIII succeeded because of his traits as a runner and Shanahans offense.

Matt Ryans career QB rating: 94.5
Matt Ryans QB rating in his second and last year with Kyle: 117.1 (League MVP)
Matt Ryans average QB rating since Kyle left: 96.2

I never said he was JAG. What I am saying is that he was never close to an MVP candidate under any other coach and had BY FAR his best season with Kyle.

Come on now. Lets be reasonable.

This offense is hard to learn. In Ryans first season ALtlanta press was calling Shanahan a QB killer because Ryan wasn't getting it. Once those QBs DO get it tho, they flourish.

RGIIIs offense was dramatically stripped down. We will likely see alot of those concepts in packages for Lance. The idea though is not to rush him because they don't want him to ONLY run RGIIIs offense. They want him to play from the pocket as well, which why through the first 2 preseason games that's ALL you saw him do.

That's what the Grant Cohns of the world don't get.

Shanahan knows Lance can run. They know he can do read option. They know he can do play action deep passing.

They want him to LEARN to play from the pocket.

It ain't rocket science.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Marvin49":3nfser8p said:
Maulbert":3nfser8p said:
Marvin49":3nfser8p said:

The Shanahans drafted Cousins. McVay is a disciple of the Shanahans. TOTAL BS on RGIII. Kyle crafted an offense that made him Rookie of the Year. What has RGIII done since? Are you honestly gonna tell me that him getting hurt in his rookie year has made him suck on every other team he's been on for a decade? Please.

I never said he was JAG. What I am saying is that he was never close to an MVP candidate under any other coach and had BY FAR his best season with Kyle.

This offense is hard to learn. In Ryans first season ALtlanta press was calling Shanahan a QB killer because Ryan wasn't getting it. Once those QBs DO get it tho, they flourish.

RGIIIs offense was dramatically stripped down. We will likely see alot of those concepts in packages for Lance. The idea though is not to rush him because they don't want him to ONLY run RGIIIs offense. They want him to play from the pocket as well, which why through the first 2 preseason games that's ALL you saw him do.

Shanahan knows Lance can run. They know he can do read option. They know he can do play action deep passing.

It ain't rocket science.

Jesus Christ, Marv, you're hung up on Grant Cohn. I never even mentioned him.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Maulbert":evkzh896 said:
Marvin49":evkzh896 said:
Maulbert":evkzh896 said:
Marvin49":evkzh896 said:

It ain't rocket science.

Jesus Christ, Marv, you're hung up on Grant Cohn. I never even mentioned him.

lol.

I know. I was just making a point. He's the one driving the "Shanahan didn't give Lance a fair chance to start" narrative.

knownone

Reaction score
Marvin's got his Shanahan Koolaid stand up and running.

Marvin49

Reaction score
knownone":ilcdp4z4 said:

Nah...I just don't buy into BS one way or the other.

I love what I've seen from Lance so far and understand he's still raw.

I, unlike most in media, actually believe what Shanahan says when he's actually talking. Why? Because his words bear out in his actions.

Drafting Lance was a huge risk. If it doesn't work, I honestly have no idea what might happen. I tend to think that Lynch and Shanahan could survive it, but I honestly don't know.

What I DO know is that Shanhan has a track record of running some of the best offenses in the NFL and he saw something he loved in Trey Lance.

It isn't even the regular season yet of his rookie season and people are coming out of the woodwork to criticize. Shanhan has said, from the start, that he wanted to keep Garoppolo, Garoppolo was the starter, and it would be very difficult for a rookie to take that job. No rookie QB has ever QBed a SB team and like it or not, SF has SB asperations.

All the answers come by simply listening and not spinning narratives for mouse clicks.

I do not know how the Lance deal will work out. I make no prediction. I like what I've seen from him (tho I'd really like to see his WRs catch the damn ball).

I'm also not blind. I see what Shanahan sees. Mixed in with this huge high moments are little moments of uncertainty. Throwing a rocket ball because he was slightly late on a read. Missing high.

As just about every single person thought on draft day, he's got work to do. That's the entire reason Garoppolo is still on the team.

knownone

Reaction score
Marvin49":3vavy5s5 said:
knownone":3vavy5s5 said:

I, unlike most in media, actually believe what Shanahan says when he's actually talking. Why? Because his words bear out in his actions.

Drafting Lance was a huge risk. If it doesn't work, I honestly have no idea what might happen. I tend to think that Lynch and Shanahan could survive it, but I honestly don't know.

What I DO know is that Shanhan has a track record of running some of the best offenses in the NFL and he saw something he loved in Trey Lance.

It isn't even the regular season yet of his rookie season and people are coming out of the woodwork to criticize. Shanhan has said, from the start, that he wanted to keep Garoppolo, Garoppolo was the starter, and it would be very difficult for a rookie to take that job. No rookie QB has ever QBed a SB team and like it or not, SF has SB asperations.

All the answers come by simply listening and not spinning narratives for mouse clicks.

I do not know how the Lance deal will work out. I make no prediction. I like what I've seen from him (tho I'd really like to see his WRs catch the damn ball).

I'm also not blind. I see what Shanahan sees. Mixed in with this huge high moments are little moments of uncertainty. Throwing a rocket ball because he was slightly late on a read. Missing high.

As just about every single person thought on draft day, he's got work to do. That's the entire reason Garoppolo is still on the team.
It sounds like you believe what Shanahan says.

I don't feel one way or the other about the situation. I think Kyle is a good coach. His reputation is the only thing I find fascinating because I've never seen anything quite like it. He's coached got 3 top 10 and 8 bottom 20 offenses in 13 years. Yet, he's getting the benefit of the doubt in the media like he's Andy Reid.

Do you really think he can survive missing on Lance? Or is that with the caveat that they continue to win with Jimmy? Because if Lance is a bust and you don't at least make the playoffs in the next two seasons... He has to be fired. You can't survive 5 losing seasons in 6 years.

As for Lance, his biggest issue is the hardest one to correct. Maybe he's the next Josh Allen or Pat Mahomes, or maybe he's more of a run-first Kap, Cam, Jackson type. Of course, you can win with both, but one is clearly preferable to the other.

Marvin49

Reaction score
knownone":ba9h84rg said:
Marvin49":ba9h84rg said:
knownone":ba9h84rg said:

It sounds like you believe what Shanahan says.

I don't feel one way or the other about the situation. I think Kyle is a good coach. His reputation is the only thing I find fascinating because I've never seen anything quite like it. He's coached got 3 top 10 and 8 bottom 20 offenses in 13 years. Yet, he's getting the benefit of the doubt in the media like he's Andy Reid.

Do you really think he can survive missing on Lance? Or is that with the caveat that they continue to win with Jimmy? Because if Lance is a bust and you don't at least make the playoffs in the next two seasons... He has to be fired. You can't survive 5 losing seasons in 6 years.

As for Lance, his biggest issue is the hardest one to correct. Maybe he's the next Josh Allen or Pat Mahomes, or maybe he's more of a run-first Kap, Cam, Jackson type. Of course, you can win with both, but one is clearly preferable to the other.

I can’t answer RE what happens if Lance busts. I really don’t know. I think it’ll have a lot to do with exactly how it happens.

As for Lance, I think the hope is that he’s the Allen/Mahomes type, but I don’t wanna put that in him because that’s a tall order. I don’t think Kyle is interested in running a 100% gimmick offense. He wants Lance to be able to play as a standard drop-back passer whom he can ALSO use in the run game to force the D into 11 on 11 football.

I think what they want is for him to be Russell Wilson-ish. To be clear….these are big names I’m comparing him to so I don’t want to get it twisted that I’m suggesting he’ll be that good. I’m just speaking to stylistically.

Kyle isn’t interested in another RGIII. He doesn’t want a limited QB. In Lance, I believe he was looking for a unicorn….a guy with everything.

Time will tell if he’s found that guy. I like what I’ve seen but there is a long road ahead.

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
94Smith":1uztsknm said:
Also think that Lynch/Shanahan know that they are safe if they made the wrong decision so that is why they took the riskier decision over the "safe" decision
I don't know about all that. Yeah they went to the super bowl but they literally had a one year window in a down year for the NFC. A losing record after 4 years isn't something you reward. I doubt they sniff the post season this year. Quarterback issues continue to plague the 69ers to my delight

Washington49er

Reaction score
ArlosSpecial":2gpqjri0 said:
94Smith":2gpqjri0 said:
Also think that Lynch/Shanahan know that they are safe if they made the wrong decision so that is why they took the riskier decision over the "safe" decision
I don't know about all that. Yeah they went to the super bowl but they literally had a one year window in a down year for the NFC. A losing record after 4 years isn't something you reward. I doubt they sniff the post season this year. Quarterback issues continue to plague the 69ers to my delight

Oh look another comedian.

94Smith

Reaction score
ArlosSpecial":53l9gy0i said:
94Smith":53l9gy0i said:

Someone talked about Marvin drinking the Shanahan koolaid I think you are drinking the Seahawk koolaid

This is not me , I think we will finish second or third in the nfc west and lose on the road in the divisional but here you go :

https://www.nfl.com/news/super-bowl-lvi-predictions-chiefs-vs-49ers-in-l-a

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":27eztmm6 said:

2) Someone here saying Bay Area Media turning on Shanahan. LOL. Like any other local media, there are always people who want to make a name for themselves with "hot takes". It does NOT reflect the mainstream in the Bay Area.

3) People quoting Grant Cohn. Sigh. I know how much people like to make fun of me and the "approved writers list", but its ALWAYS the Cohns who say this crap. Always. I'd also say that before you leap to his defense and say he's just a "truth sayer" and that's why Niner fans don't like him....

...he also said in January that Trey Lance was "Tim Tebow with a better 40 time". I know you guys love that....

....but NOW he says Lance is the most gifted QB EVER. Not just physically either. ALL of it. Physical, mental, character...That's his criticism...that he doesn't think Shanahan is coaching the most gifted QB ever correctly.

Just think about that for a sec before you quote Grant Cohn.

I really like Trey Lance...but dude. Hyperbole much?

Maybe, JUST maybe, Kyle has a bit more of a clue that Grant f'in Cohn.

Marvin speaks truth.

As a fellow reader of Bay Area football, a backgrounder. Grant is the progeny of Lowell Cohn, who used to be a sports columnist for the SF Chronicle's Sporting Green. And these two are insufferable.

For example, just after Harbs got fired by Jed, Lowell publishes something in the Santa Rosa Press Democrat talking about Jed's mother's "birth canal." I mean, really. But that's the type they have always been. Very clickbaity.

Maulbert

Reaction score
94Smith":1z7bcrjt said:
ArlosSpecial":1z7bcrjt said:
94Smith":1z7bcrjt said:

Someone talked about Marvin drinking the Shanahan koolaid I think you are drinking the Seahawk koolaid

Hmmm... Seahawks have not had a losing season since Russell Wilson and Bobby Wagner were drafted, and Shanny has failed to win at least 7 games in 3 out of 4 seasons, but WE'RE drinking Kool-Aid...

BTW, even Pete managed to win 7 games twice with a past his prime Matt Hasslebeck, Tavaris Jackson, and freaking Charlie Whitehurst as his starters.

toffee

Reaction score
Maulbert":2z9moy1s said:
94Smith":2z9moy1s said:
ArlosSpecial":2z9moy1s said:
94Smith":2z9moy1s said:

Hmmm... Seahawks have not had a losing season since Russell Wilson and Bobby Wagner were drafted, and Shanny has failed to win at least 7 games in 3 out of 4 seasons, but WE'RE drinking Kool-Aid...

BTW, even Pete managed to win 7 games twice with a past his prime Matt Hasslebeck, Tavaris Jackson, and freaking Charlie Whitehurst as his starters.

Someone called for Pete to be fired every week here on dot net. Shanahan is more loved in Santa Clara, he will keep his job even if the Lance experiment didn't work out.

nutluck

Reaction score
Fade":2273yqp6 said:
I would like to ask 3 questions to 49ers fans.

1) Would you rather have Jimmy/Lance -or- Dalton Fields/Jones + your draft picks back? And your reasons why.

2) How do you feel about Kyle hardly giving Trey Lance any reps with the 1's in training camp?

3) Who is going to be the fall guy if this season goes horribly wrong? Kyle, Lynch, or somebody else?

I am not a 9er's fan, but I am a fan of football in general, yes I have a preferred teams. Anyways this is my take.

1) I think it was a mistake, I am not in favor of trading away a lot of picks to play the QB lottery. I hated it when the Rams did it for Goff, the odds of a QB being truly great is IMHO just way to small of a chance to justify the picks a team typically has to give up to move up high enough to get "their guy"

2) Didn't watch the 9er's preseason games so I can't say, though I would think you would want to give him plenty of reps even if the plan is not to play him as a starter for a year or two.

3) Way way to early after 1 season to say if this will go wrong or not. If he turns into the next Mahomes in 2-4 years from now everyone will say the 9er's where geniuses, if he turns out to be the next Matt Trubisky, then I imagine someone will end up on the hot seat. But since he was considered a very raw prospect with a lot of upside, I don't think anyone is going to judge this for at least 2 years from now likely more like 3 years.

Latest posts