...that effort won't win a title

tom sawyer

Reaction score
Can we all send Adam Schein a collective duh-Ralph? NFL media columnist says that

Seattle Seahawks deserve credit, but that effort won't win a title.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... in-a-title

Now, Seattle certainly deserves credit for showing the pluck and skill to score 15 points in 44 seconds. But of course, there was some luck involved there, too. Actually, a lot.

Luck, how about gritty, clawing and A GREATER DESIRE TO WIN THE GAME?

Wilson scrambled right and threw a fall-away pass across his body as he took a hit. The ball floated in the air -- seemingly forever -- before somehow landing right in the paws of tight end Luke Willson. Those extra two points came in pretty handy when Rodgers predictably drove Green Bay downfield in the final minute to set up a game-tying field goal.

..some how landing in the paws? :roll:

The Seahawks' good fortune continued when they won the overtime coin flip. Wilson, who turned in a slopfest before eventually revealing his clutch gene, capped off the majestic comeback by hitting Kearse for a 35-yard touchdown.

Lucky coin flips? REALLY?!!! Wooooow!!!!!

But it is another combination of being lucky and good. It's not a criticism. It's a fair observation.
Seattle was lucky and good down the stretch in the regular season, too.

Oh, ok, some good to go with all that luck, thank you sir! We had a lucky season, winning all those tough games on the road decidedly, was really mostly luck. hmmm, really?

What a dick!

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
I'm thankful... for the Marshawn Lynch's and Richard Sherman's on this team who will ensure that the Seattle Seahawks will never be gushed over and have their asses wiped by the media to the extent the Pats/Colts/Packers have in recent years.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Every game is hugely influenced by random bounces here and there but most of the time the media can't see it because they would rather talk up a particular narrative. We did get lucky at the end of the game and that makes some people uncomfortable because they have previously deluded themselves into thinking that a single football game can show you which team is better.

Our bad fortune in the first 55 minutes was offset by some good fortune in the final 5 minutes and games like this one are exactly what make the NFL such a great league. Enough parity that randomness plays a role and anything can happen in a single game.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I agree, that effort won't win a title.

Belicheat and the Patriots aren't going to brain fart and mistake their way to defeat like the Packers did yesterday in the 4th quarter. They're too well prepared and coached of a football team.

So not a completely crazy statement to make. But I can't IMAGINE another 5 turnover 55 minutes of total offensive ineptness from Russell and our offense, so it's a moot point to make IMO.

amill87

Reaction score
Throughout the game I kept talking about how Green Bay wasn't really pulling away from us.

They were getting a lot of bounces early and didn't put us away. A deflection off Kearses hands and Baldwins arm barely getting touched and fumbling is pure luck for the Packers.

In the end, all stuff equals out in football, the trick is to not get too far behind before the luck flips sides

Hawknballs

Reaction score
There was no luck at all involved in 2 picks bouncing off a receiver's hands right into the arms of a defender.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I don't get the talk of luck with the coin flip.

Does anyone really think the Packers could have scored a TD in OT? They didn't score a TD after the 1st Quarter. They didn't score a TD after that disastrous sequence where they got the ball in Seahawks territory multiple times in a row.

They didn't get into the redzone in THE ENTIRE SECOND HALF.

I don't care if Green Bay got the ball first in OT. Our D wasn't letting them get a TD regardless of a coin flip.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
the-harder-i-work-the-luckier-i-get4.jpg

OP
OP
tom sawyer

tom sawyer

Reaction score
Some luck (or as I prefer to decribe it - random good fortune) ..

GB Packers were complacent, with 5 minutes to go and a 19-7 lead, they rested, relaxed (Aaron's own advise to fans early in the season) and we took advantage. We scored the 2pt not a tooth-fairy, we took the onside kick ball out of the air after they touched it without securing it. Luck? not! Athletism yes!!

We scored held them to three pts. Luck? No. Skill, desire to win...yes!

Kears's catch in the endzone - skill, Wilson's pass, skill.

Lucky coin flip? .... whatever!!!

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I don't get why people here are so upset at others saying we were lucky. We WERE lucky. To me, it's like people saying RW is a game manager. He IS a game manager. He's also a lot more than that, and other people choose to deny or ignore that to their own peril. My view is to let them keep thinking that -- they have a huge learning curve ahead.

In this game, sure we were lucky. We were also unlucky. We experienced both good fortune and bad fortune, as did the Packers. I think it's a bit silly, really, both that outsiders think we won this game solely because we were lucky, and that some people here want to deny that luck played any part at all.

kidhawk

Reaction score
ANYONE who says that effort won't win a title is about as stupid as a person can be.

You could argue that the execution we saw won't win a title. That at least has some logic to it, but anyone who argues we didn't put out a championship effort is absolutely and ridiculously stupid

I still would say that a person is wrong who says that our execution won't win a title, because we just won the NFC title with that execution, and the Packers are as good as the Patriots and if not it's awfully darn close.

I don't want to see that execution again, but I loved the effort I saw with every snap of the ball.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
We are lucky cause we caused our own mistakes. The Packers were lucky we weren't even playing Seahawks football until the last 5 mins. This was a rare game by Wilson in a crazy weather.

rastahawk

Reaction score
Here's the difference kids. Although we turned the ball over 5 times, a few in opposing scoring positions, we were a good enough team to weather the storm. Get it. THAT'S WHAT GOOD TEAMS DO. Even on bad days we are always in it. Any other team (like the Colts cough cough) we would have seen a 44-3 drubbing by Aaron Rodgers and Co pretty quickly esp with that horror in the first 3 quarters. Sure we gave up 22 points but the Defense did a hell of a job keeping it from being a blowout. Finally when the momentum changed we got our window to make a push. We did, and we won. Goodnight.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
rastahawk":lunixwmb said:
Here's the difference kids. Although we turned the ball over 5 times, a few in opposing scoring positions, we were a good enough team to weather the storm. Get it. THAT'S WHAT GOOD TEAMS DO. Even on bad days we are always in it. Any other team (like the Colts cough cough) we would have seen a 44-3 drubbing by Aaron Rodgers and Co pretty quickly esp with that horror in the first 3 quarters. Sure we gave up 22 points but the Defense did a hell of a job keeping it from being a blowout. Finally when the momentum changed we got our window to make a push. We did, and we won. Goodnight.

yep, right here.

once the Seahawks stopped gifting the ball the Packers and forced them to make plays. they couldnt. the Packers had their chance to win it, and to win it earlier. they failed. thats not luck, thats just the wrong mentality.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kidhawk":3o9ro92d said:
ANYONE who says that effort won't win a title is about as stupid as a person can be.

You could argue that the execution we saw won't win a title.

What's the difference?

The writer is saying playing like dog crap for 55 minutes and committing 5 turnovers isn't going to win the SB. Hard to argue isn't it.

Sometimes I think you guys get all offended sometimes reading critical things about the Hawks without stepping back and actually thinking about what was said. Saying the coin flip was lucky is dumb, but the rest of the comments are fair as hell.

Erebus

Reaction score
I'm glad the game played out the way it did instead of coasting to an easy victory. In a way, it was like the Chiefs game in that it showed how mortal we can be, and will cause the media to doubt us. The players will thrive off the media's disrespect. They always play better with a chip on their shoulder. I think that chip was missing for most of yesterday's game.

endzorn

Reaction score
If we're going to get worked up over this narrative then it's going to be a miserable two weeks. We won. Screw the media.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1napiwfe said:
kidhawk":1napiwfe said:

What's the difference?

The writer is saying playing like dog crap for 55 minutes and committing 5 turnovers isn't going to win the SB. Hard to argue isn't it.

Sometimes I think you guys get all offended sometimes reading critical things about the Hawks without stepping back and actually thinking about what was said. Saying the coin flip was lucky is dumb, but the rest of the comments are fair as hell.

Pot, meet Kettle Sarge.

OP
OP
tom sawyer

tom sawyer

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2p4r6bnb said:
kidhawk":2p4r6bnb said:

What's the difference?

Hard to argue? NO. Because in a football game anything can happen, we proved it yesterday!!

Latest posts