Something a friend waterjetted

nsport

Reaction score
MagHawk":3vr0l5p6 said:
These are great. :th2thumbs:

I have access to a laser, and we do fun stuff like this all the time.

He should mix the keychain and bottle opener, gives you a reason to always carry it.

Just wondering if those lasers are connected to sea bass?

[youtube]Bh7bYNAHXxw[/youtube]

HawkFanNC

Reaction score
taz291819":5h5n921m said:
It's illegal if you use their logo for to promote your business (or website) and/or make money. If you're just doing it for yourself, or giving it away, that's legal.

Technically, this is incorrect. The copyright holder has the exclusive right to control, among other thing, the use, copying and dissemination of the original work. Whether you are just doing it for yourself or giving it away is largely immaterial as to whether or not you are infringing. Now, the copyright holder might decide it is not worth the cost and effort to go after a non-commercial infringer, but that is another issue.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
HawkFanNC":4j5r83ev said:
Technically, this is incorrect. The copyright holder has the exclusive right to control, among other thing, the use, copying and dissemination of the original work. Whether you are just doing it for yourself or giving it away is largely immaterial as to whether or not you are infringing. Now, the copyright holder might decide it is not worth the cost and effort to go after a non-commercial infringer, but that is another issue.

Correct. NFL Properties came after me several times for my use of the trademarked name "Seahawks" in my domain names (Seahawks98.com, Seahawks99.com and Seahawks.NET). However, Internet Law was so new and fringe, even their bazillion lawyers couldn't really do much since I legally registered the domains and the domains themselves are their own legal entities belonging to the person(s) who legally obtained them. Eventually they backed off, I'm sure in part because I was someone promoting their product and not profiting off of it in any way.

That all changed when I created my own version of the Seahawks logo and began selling "Got Galloway?" t-shirts. Even though the logo was not a carbon copy, it was close enough to be called "dilution of logo" and by selling t-shirts - I had entered an unfavorable position without any recourse but to "Seize and desist" the marketing, selling and distribution of said shirts which I did.

To be clear, any time you are creating/distributing trademarked/copyrighted product/material or likeness of something - for free or for profit - the legal owners of those items have every right to come down on you as hard as they wish legally.

JesterHawk

Reaction score
What if a talented graphic artist whipped up a nice little vector art version of that logo and quietly emailed it to a few close friends? Who then covered their own screen printing costs...

Gtjester1_at_gmail

;-)

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Here's the shirt in question. It was my buddy's who was a diehard Steelers fan but still kept this shirt for years. His wife/widow gave it to me after he passed tragically at the age of 40. It's in pristine condition because he only wore it once (to a Seahawks game I took him to). So this shirt has a lot of memories and meaning tied up in it for various reasons.

Attachments

• gotgalloway.jpg
    gotgalloway.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 589

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
Wow that's just an approximation of the logo and they came down that hard eh? No Fun League indeed...

Hey maybe the OP could get his friend to waterjet a portable douche nozzle with the 49er logo.

Latest posts