Should Sherman shadow Kelvin Benjamin?

Basis4day

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":3mdqpekd said:
Basis4day":3mdqpekd said:
Don't move Sherman.

Now will Simon move back to outside with Maxwell in the Slot or will they go with Maxwell on the outside and Lane in the slot?

I bet they move Max to the slot and Simon outside. Seems to be working, no need to change

That's the thing though. Simon got hurt in the Philly game so putting him back in is a change.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Simon actually got hurt at the very end of the last AZ game.

Lane played almost all the snaps against the Cardinals (and Simon was healthy). Simon played more snaps the week earlier against SF but we stuck to two CBs and left LBs in coverage for most of that game, so he didn't play a ton.

It'll come down to which match-up Seattle finds favorable.

Basis4day

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3cs2vr63 said:

Lane played almost all the snaps against the Cardinals (and Simon was healthy). Simon played more snaps the week earlier against SF but we stuck to two CBs and left LBs in coverage for most of that game, so he didn't play a ton.

My mistake. Better get on rewind and see what im thinking of.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Basis4day":2b1kqj7o said:
DavidSeven":2b1kqj7o said:

My mistake. Better get on rewind and see what im thinking of.

Ok. I got his dislocated finger in the Eagles game and his shoulder in the Cards game mixed up.

Thanks for correcting me.

FearTheBlitz

Reaction score
But that's the thing.. the Packers, Saints, Broncos, etc all have multiple weapons. The Panthers have one. So of course you don't want to deviate from scheme for those teams.

Only one weapon? You are forgetting Olsen. Who had over 1000 yards rec for the reg season. There are a few other less used weapons that we have. That will be used tomorrow night. I won't go into who they are. I'll just make you wait and see.

McGruff

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2cmqcg37 said:
I know it's rare for Quinn/Carroll to have Sherman play one WR the entire game.. but I think we may see this happen tomorrow, as to call the Panthers WR corps outside of Benjamin "pedestrian" would be kind.

Even though the rookie WR has had his drops resurface over the past several weeks.. he's still a dangerous threat with his size and ability to make a spectacular catch (see Week 8 catch over Earl and Sherm)

I like Max and Simon/Lane a lot.. but I think this is the one game we should designate 25 to shut down the Panthers only threat at WR .. Jerricho Cotchery and Philly Brown aren't beating this team tomorrow. Kam/KJ should handle Olsen fine too.

Thoughts?

No, but it is a game I can see Simon playing outside and Maxwell shifting to the slot.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
FearTheBlitz":2d37auao said:
But that's the thing.. the Packers, Saints, Broncos, etc all have multiple weapons. The Panthers have one. So of course you don't want to deviate from scheme for those teams.

Only one weapon? You are forgetting Olsen. Who had over 1000 yards rec for the reg season. There are a few other less used weapons that we have. That will be used tomorrow night. I won't go into who they are. I'll just make you wait and see.

Oooooooooo! Yeah, y'all are some juggernauts. We should very scared. Obviously you, and only you know about it and are about to spring it on us Saturday. I think the only trembling you might hear or feel is maybe another beast quake.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":af90vv81 said:
No, I think Maxwell would do just fine with him.

:13:

Benjamin is a very good matchup for Maxwell. He has long speed, but he's not a burner. Maxwell can play him physically and try to jar the ball loose.

kjreid

Reaction score
Mick063":26t4u008 said:
We have been through this before.

Sherman takes the right handed quarterback's right side.

Given that teams typically put their best pass blocker at left tackle the Seattle defensive scheme does the following:

1) Encourages the right handed quarterback to throw across his body to the left leading to greater inaccuracy, longer flight time, and poorer vision....all allowing Earl Thomas opportunities to make plays on the ball.

2) Isolates Cliff Avril on the typically lesser pass blocker (right offensive tackle) for the newly created "blind side" (QB looking to his left to avoid Sherman). Avril is as adept at stripping the ball as anyone.

3) Creates a comfort zone for the cornerbacks on both sides as they master a specific and smaller technique set.

4) Allows for a more reliable "robber" scheme where Kam can release his coverage to the free safety and go places underneath where the quarterback is not expecting him. When the secondary is on the same page, playing the same positions, there is more reliability in switching off of receivers "on the fly".

Forget the vanity bullpoo about the mythical "shutdown" corner crap. The LOB is a well oiled scheme that even the best passing offenses have trouble defeating. Indeed, on predictable passing downs, they are as good as any group in history. These guys are a team, not just a bunch of guys running around in the same colored jerseys (my favorite Belichick quote).
This +10

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The same Olson who had ONE CATCH, I repeat ONE CATCH in the game at Carolina this year.
Great player, yes, but come on. :roll:

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
So that must ultimately mean 1 catch this time around also... I hope, but come on... Legit threat especially the way TE's have hurt us on seam and wheel routes this year.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I vote no.

One of the things we do best is, play our game.
We don't try to hide anything and we don't get all freaked out about ANYBODY.

Like Sherm said once, that's an insult to the other guys. I love that quote in its context.

sutz

Reaction score
Doubtful. I could see, if some serious shit went wrong, that we could switch to this at half time, but that seems unlikely to become necessary.

Tical21

Reaction score
He's not going to switch places with Maxwell, but Sherm will probably cover Benjamin when he lines up in the slot on 3rd downs, like we usually do with Boldin. There is no reason not to. No other receivers are going to beat you, so why not do your best to cover Benjamin on crucial downs? It makes no sense to me to have Sherman covering air all game long while Benjamin has a foot long reach advantage over Lane. It could also be one of those games where we play it straight-up in the first half and see what happens. Since we put Sherman on Benjamin for a lot of the game last time, I'm guessing we'll do it again.