Sherm compares Brady and Wilson

BleuEyedHawk

Reaction score
Thank you for that interview, I love Sherm and thought his comments were telling considering that he played with both quarterbacks.

I liked his thoughts on Brady especially because he went from playing opposite him to being on the same side. I know guys are friendly off the field, but I remember the "You mad Bro" remarks he made to Brady earlier on in his career.

Some find Richard abrasive, but I've always liked his outspokenness and intelligence.

It'll be fascinating to see what happens with RW3 in Denver. He wanted the big stage and now he has it - everyone will be watching and analyzing. And commenting. (He may not like that part).

Last edited:

keasley45

Reaction score
Great interview and underscores a lot of the issues we've had on offense over the years.

Think about it. If the OC's responsibility, and the entire purpose of practice is to develop a strategy to exploit a defenses weaknesses, and scheme to take what you can from them, but in the game, your qb doesn't exploit those weaknesses and ignores what they give you, then what's the purpose of the OC and gameplanning?

This has been the single biggest frustration with the offense and has shown in us treading through 3 coordinators who have yielded the same result. If Russel is the QB, doesn't matter what's called or what the play should be, or even if the play is effective. Russ is going to do Russ.

Yet, in Seattle, the image Russ cultivated for himself was of the ever hard working film studying at 5am in team HQs guy. So thr play failing couldn't possibly be HIS fault. And when he throws, he's insanely accurate, so it can't be a QBing issue. But if you're throwing to places defenses arebletting you throw and having to live off of scramble drills and broken plays... well that kind of thing will work against lesser defenses in the regular season, but when it comes playoff time and the teams you are playing surrender what they want to a qb, have a better D front, AND limit errors...well then, you've got what we've had.

sutz

Reaction score
Great interview and underscores a lot of the issues we've had on offense over the years.

Think about it. If the OC's responsibility, and the entire purpose of practice is to develop a strategy to exploit a defenses weaknesses, and scheme to take what you can from them, but in the game, your qb doesn't exploit those weaknesses and ignores what they give you, then what's the purpose of the OC and gameplanning?

This has been the single biggest frustration with the offense and has shown in us treading through 3 coordinators who have yielded the same result. If Russel is the QB, doesn't matter what's called or what the play should be, or even if the play is effective. Russ is going to do Russ.

Yet, in Seattle, the image Russ cultivated for himself was of the ever hard working film studying at 5am in team HQs guy. So thr play failing couldn't possibly be HIS fault. And when he throws, he's insanely accurate, so it can't be a QBing issue. But if you're throwing to places defenses arebletting you throw and having to live off of scramble drills and broken plays... well that kind of thing will work against lesser defenses in the regular season, but when it comes playoff time and the teams you are playing surrender what they want to a qb, have a better D front, AND limit errors...well then, you've got what we've had.
Sad, but true. And when Russ's salary took up too much of the cap, we couldn't afford to keep the playmakers we needed on D to keep the games close enough for him to hero-ball it out. At the end of the era, we were spending half of our cap on 3-4 guys, and filling in the rest with scrubs. Can't consistently win like that.

Oh, and that was a better than average interview with a jock. Time for Sherm to cash in that Communications degree he earned at Stanford.

keasley45

Reaction score
Will drop this here for now. Another really good article that touches on some of what Sherm said... basically that Russ doesn't make his hey by reading defenses and rather ignores routes and areas of the field for the plays he's accustomed to taking.

Wasn't a recipe for success here and I don't see how it can be in Denver or anywhere else.

Jac

Reaction score
Will drop this here for now. Another really good article that touches on some of what Sherm said... basically that Russ doesn't make his hey by reading defenses and rather ignores routes and areas of the field for the plays he's accustomed to taking.

Wasn't a recipe for success here and I don't see how it can be in Denver or anywhere else.

Not an encouraging article from Denver's POV. I think Denver (and the rest of the country) is expecting an All-Pro season with playoff success. I think there's a good chance things work out quite a bit more disappointing than that. The narrative next year could be "It's Wilson's second year in Hackett's offense, so things will get better."

keasley45

Reaction score
The big question about the 2nd year if he does struggle the way he has to date, is how the contract talks come into play. It's hard to picture Russ taking something less than top money, unless the contract is loaded with insentives.

Jac

Reaction score
The big question about the 2nd year if he does struggle the way he has to date, is how the contract talks come into play. It's hard to picture Russ taking something less than top money, unless the contract is loaded with insentives.

There's a lot of pressure this year. The honeymoon period will be over. He'll still demand $50-55M, though. That's when things could get contentious and essentially part of the trade (i.e., trading the contract negotiations to Denver).

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
The big question about the 2nd year if he does struggle the way he has to date, is how the contract talks come into play. It's hard to picture Russ taking something less than top money, unless the contract is loaded with incentives.
I am of the opinion that if Wilson couldn't deliver super bowl this, or next seasons, he won't. He will be even older, slower, and the Bronco locker room will be just like the Hawks, be indifferent to him after two years. He might get an incentive laden contract or Bronco might trade him if his stats are good.

After Brady and Stafford, ownerships and fans expect instant glory, Wilson need to delivery this season.

BleuEyedHawk

Reaction score

Thank you for the article - and written by a Denver analyst of all people.

I loved the graphs and even though I'd seen similiar, these were all in one place for comparison.

An interesting narrative was that Pete and the coaching staff "enabled Wilson's bad habits" regarding throwing targets to mid field etc. While this may be partially true, they didn't see the finer details - as in RW3 shaking off coaching directives to do his own perceived heroics.

Not a betting person, yet I'd be willing to wager that the Let Russ Cook campaign was probably dreamed up by his publicity people to pressure management to let him have his own way.

Happy to watch this from the sidelines - Broncos puzzle to solve now.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
I really like that interview. Sherm is spot on.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
TO and Sherm, both got big mouths, and said things that offended folks. But when it comes to football matters, these two were more right than wrong. Their problems, were saying stuff that best not said to the public or at the wrong time.

Fanatics

Reaction score
Sherm has put a spotlight on what we have noticed and it is too bad that so many OC's, OL's and such have been blamed over the years. I believe since he has lost a step, teams have learned to take away the deep and guard outside-in and it has put pressure on him to throw where he was the most uncomfortable. Will be interesting to see how teams defend Denver.