Shane Waldron approval rating poll

How much do you approve of Waldron being hired for OC?

• I hate the choice!

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I'm not happy about the hire.

Votes: 7 4.7%
  • I'm indifferent to the hire.

Votes: 48 32.4%
  • I'm pretty happy with Waldron.

Votes: 65 43.9%
  • I am PUMPED AND JACKED!

Votes: 27 18.2%

• Total voters

mort

Reaction score
FIRE WALDRON!! ...just to be first :)

But really I’m mostly hopeful, but indifferent as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
I’m pretty happy with the hire. I didn’t respond to this immediately because I hadn’t read much about Waldron outside of this board. But what I’ve read about him these last cpl days seems very encouraging.

I feel like he and Russ should be able to consistently scheme a better game plan than what we’ve seen the past several years. Hopefully he’s a strong leader with game-day savvy and confidence to make the correct adjustments on the fly.

BASF

Reaction score
Pumped and Jacked. I believe that this is the man to get us to the next level from the fact that his offensive line and TE experience coupled with the fact that he comes from a place that Wilson knows has him figured out might change his perspectives on things.

I also believe that this is the guy who has been enough places that varies their route tree to finally get us out of the if we are in this formation, we are running this play bullshit that has been going on for far too long.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I just pray he mixes it up enough that the Rams dont find the Hawks offense,,,,,familiar. Hawks struggle enough with the Rams as is and I can only imagine what a tip of the hat might bring.

Fade

Reaction score
They're bringing the Rams run game coordinator as well.

This is HUGE.

They will likely become a wide zone running team, and consistently boot Wilson off of it. Spread the ball around better, get the TEs more involved, and Waldron in his first presser mentioned, "full pedal." Hell yes! He mentioned properly planning for opponents. Double hell yes!

They will actually blend the running game, and passing game proper. Moving away from the predictable, albeit talented, disaster they've been over the years.

Amazing hire.

I don't expect Pete to meddle too much this time. Funnily enough that was the first question he was asked at his presser,
"How much autonomy will you have?"

Pete meddled in the past because his "yes" man coordinators were screwing it up, so he would step in and simplify things, in the only way Pete knew how as a defensive coach.

The Shanny/McVay system is centered on the running game. The coaches who come out of that system WANT to run the ball. You don't have to tell them. The difference is compared to what Pete was doing, is the passing game is designed to play off of the running game in a way that it makes it hard for defenses to decipher what it is you're exactly doing on a play to play basis. They're blended, they are one. If puts the 2nd level defenders in conflict and they don't know whether to play the run or pass.

chris98251

Reaction score
I found it interesting just as he was getting to the core of the question not just that one but another pointed one the screen blanked to technical difficulties as if he said something unapproved.

He was doing coach speak a lot also. Saying they are putting the pedal to the metal and seeing it, well, we can dream till we see what the product is.

Fade

Reaction score
chris98251":2xiuzxf3 said:
I found it interesting just as he was getting to the core of the question not just that one but another pointed one the screen blanked to technical difficulties as if he said something unapproved.

He was doing coach speak a lot also. Saying they are putting the pedal to the metal and seeing it, well, we can dream till we see what the product is.

Pete has lost all benefit of the doubt when it pertains to how the offense has been handled over the years, so it is completely understandable to take a wait and see approach, or even a pure pessimistic stance. I was in that boat just the other day.

What changed for me was, unprovoked in his presser we went after the obvious flaws of the Seattle offense, and how he was very clear that he was not going to do it that way, all while delivering it in cool, calm, well spoken manner. This is a guy who is a real up and comer, and a guy McVay heavily leaned on, he is a scheme guy on the cutting edge, very anti-Pete in that manner, but very pro-Pete in how they go about running the football. And secondly, bringing Andy Dickerson from LA makes it very hard to not think they're not going to move to a westcoast, widezone, boot action system as the base. The offense I've been coveting for YEARS to come to Seattle.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
For me it was him coming out and saying he was just fine punting on 4th and 1. Down 10 w/less than 8 minutes in a playoff game. That's beyond ridiculous, and he lost me big time.....

A_Biased_Fan

Reaction score
Fade":87aeomwz said:

This is HUGE.

They will likely become a wide zone running team, and consistently boot Wilson off of it. Spread the ball around better, get the TEs more involved, and Waldron in his first presser mentioned, "full pedal." Hell yes! He mentioned properly planning for opponents. Double hell yes!

They will actually blend the running game, and passing game proper. Moving away from the predictable, albeit talented, disaster they've been over the years.

Amazing hire.

I don't expect Pete to meddle too much this time. Funnily enough that was the first question he was asked at his presser,

Pete meddled in the past because his "yes" man coordinators were screwing it up, so he would step in and simplify things, in the only way Pete knew how as a defensive coach.

The Shanny/McVay system is centered on the running game. The coaches who come out of that system WANT to run the ball. You don't have to tell them. The difference is compared to what Pete was doing, is the passing game is designed to play off of the running game in a way that it makes it hard for defenses to decipher what it is you're exactly doing on a play to play basis. They're blended, they are one. If puts the 2nd level defenders in conflict and they don't know whether to play the run or pass.

This is for anyone who is more of an expert than me, (the layman), but is this system similar to what LaFleur runs in GB? It seems like everything they do is based off the run game and they do a hell of a lot of boots. Things must be schemed where the defense has no clue because they were able to scheme guys wide open all season long.

I ask because this system basically rejuvenated Rodgers. Low-key, outside of a hot stretch in the 2nd half of 2016, he hadn't put up elite numbers since 2014. If we can do anything close to the turnaround with Russell (and it's not like he was bad, he just wasn't able to put up elite numbers for an entire season the past two seasons), we may be in for something special.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
A_Biased_Fan":ft4paiy1 said:
Fade":ft4paiy1 said:

This is HUGE.

Amazing hire.

This is for anyone who is more of an expert than me, (the layman), but is this system similar to what LaFleur runs in GB? It seems like everything they do is based off the run game and they do a hell of a lot of boots. Things must be schemed where the defense has no clue because they were able to scheme guys wide open all season long.

I ask because this system basically rejuvenated Rodgers. Low-key, outside of a hot stretch in the 2nd half of 2016, he hadn't put up elite numbers since 2014. If we can do anything close to the turnaround with Russell (and it's not like he was bad, he just wasn't able to put up elite numbers for an entire season the past two seasons), we may be in for something special.

Both LaFluer and McVay (by extension, Waldron and Dickerson too) run derivatives of the Shanahan zone-run/west coast scheme with changes here and there. Makes a quarterbacks job a lot easier, and makes a defenses job harder due to its multi-dimensional manifestation out of a few basic looks that branch out into a plethora of different concepts. The zone-run feeds into the play action pass rollout seamlessly. Prioritizes running backs getting to the second level uncontacted, wants to "make cornerbacks have to tackle" is a common adage.

hawk45

Reaction score
Watching the rams execute the run and get wide open intermediate plays is tantalizing.

Question: I read that Waldron has never called the plays in a regular season game as OC. What sort of confidence do we have that by osmosis he absorbed enough to carry it over to our passing game?

I mean I’d love it if our offense could be like mcvays and generate a ton of easy throws, it just feels like a bit of an assumption that that is what we will get.

Fade

Reaction score
hawk45":3102vwm7 said:
Watching the rams execute the run and get wide open intermediate plays is tantalizing.

Question: I read that Waldron has never called the plays in a regular season game as OC. What sort of confidence do we have that by osmosis he absorbed enough to carry it over to our passing game?

I mean I’d love it if our offense could be like mcvays and generate a ton of easy throws, it just feels like a bit of an assumption that that is what we will get.

He was heavily involved in the game planning week in and week out. So I don't think calling the plays that he usually help devise and put together for that particular week will be that big of a step.

And yes, we are educated guessing/assuming they will bring a huge portion of the Rams attack to Seattle. If Pete wanted another "yes" man, this wouldn't have been the hire.

chris98251

Reaction score
There will be a learning curve, falling in love with certain plays, being able to get plays in certain situations along with the players needed, second guessing himself if something fails.

The respect of the players that he knows what he is doing.

rogerwilliambruce

Reaction score
Shane Waldron does not have the experience for the job he is going to be Pete Carrolls puppet. That is bad for the Seahawks, Pete is the reason the Seahawks blew the second half of the season. Pete Carroll should have been replaced not resigned, his approach is very outdated and his mind is no longer fast enough for play calling. I do not blame Russell Wilson for getting upset when it looks like more of the same for several years and no more superbowls. Pete is not even close to being in Sean McVays caliber.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
rogerwb01":z9trz2v9 said:
Shane Waldron does not have the experience for the job he is going to be Pete Carrolls puppet. That is bad for the Seahawks, Pete is the reason the Seahawks blew the second half of the season. Pete Carroll should have been replaced not resigned, his approach is very outdated and his mind is no longer fast enough for play calling. I do not blame Russell Wilson for getting upset when it looks like more of the same for several years and no more superbowls. Pete is not even close to being in Sean McVays caliber.

Good thing Pete Carroll doesn't call plays, huh?