Seattle Sounders 2021 season.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
I think if either of these fouls happened in the 2nd half after numerous warnings to the Pumas players from the head ref, one of them would have been a straight red.

But that's a VERY hard spot for a ref to be in, he did his best IMO to not decide a championship match in the 15th minute by handing out a red. Even though he could have.
Double edged sword, he could be deciding a championship match by not handing out a red that is deserved, especially when it results in one of the best 11 for the opposing team leaving the game. Not doing it is saying the players can get away with red card fouls in the first half. How much different would the first leg have been if the red card that should have been given around ten minutes for the cleat to the knee had been given.

I guess my point is that you should give (or not give) the red the same whether it is the 1st minute or the 89th.

You don't want to be down a man for most the match? Don't do stupid, wreckless shit.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I guess my point is that you should give (or not give) the red the same whether it is the 1st minute or the 89th.

I disagree.

I believe there should be self awareness and nuance with refs and umps in big games.

It's why the refs allow more contact in the NFL playoffs then they do in the regular season. No one wants big games decided by the refs. Same should go for big soccer matches.

Because right now all we'd be talking about after the Sounders big win would be seeing the talking heads and Liga MX clubs complaining that the refs handed the Sounders the match because of the early red.

Unless it's REALLY egregious? Swallow the whistle and know the gravity of the call.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
I disagree.

I believe there should be self awareness and nuance with refs and umps in big games.

It's why the refs allow more contact in the NFL playoffs then they do in the regular season. No one wants big games decided by the refs. Same should go for big soccer matches.

Because right now all we'd be talking about after the Sounders big win would be seeing the talking heads and Liga MX clubs complaining that the refs handed the Sounders the match because of the early red.

Unless it's REALLY egregious? Swallow the whistle and know the gravity of the call.
Swallowing the whistle is fine as long as you apply it evenly across the game. If a foul is one you are going to give a red card on in the 80th minute then it deserves a red card in the 10th minute. I don't have an issue with calling the game differently than other games, just be consistent over the game. That being said, I have no idea if the 10th minute foul in leg one would have been called any differently in the 80th minute or not. Knees are fragile things though and I would like to see a red card when a player slides in recklessly with cleats up and makes contact with the knee.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Swallowing the whistle is fine as long as you apply it evenly across the game. If a foul is one you are going to give a red card on in the 80th minute then it deserves a red card in the 10th minute. I don't have an issue with calling the game differently than other games, just be consistent over the game. That being said, I have no idea if the 10th minute foul in leg one would have been called any differently in the 80th minute or not. Knees are fragile things though and I would like to see a red card when a player slides in recklessly with cleats up and makes contact with the knee.

I do think the ref called a great even match Wednesday, and allowed the game to settle after the first 20 minutes.

He pulls out the red and I guarantee you all hell breaks loose and we probably see that match devolve into a hard tackle fest mired in injuries and stoppage of play.

I get your opinion, it was close to a red, and IMO any other regular season match many refs would indeed pull out the red. But it was the right call, even though we were on the wrong side of it.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
I do think the ref called a great even match Wednesday, and allowed the game to settle after the first 20 minutes.

He pulls out the red and I guarantee you all hell breaks loose and we probably see that match devolve into a hard tackle fest mired in injuries and stoppage of play.

I get your opinion, it was close to a red, and IMO any other regular season match many refs would indeed pull out the red. But it was the right call, even though we were on the wrong side of it.
Wednesday was great for officiating. Nouhou wasn't a red, the correct call was made there I think.

Leg one was piss poor for officiating and I am referring to the Pumas player sliding into Ruidiaz (if I remember correctly) cleats up early in that match.

Edit to add: Not sure which match you are talking about in your second two sentences, so maybe we just have to agree to disagree about this foul in the 1st leg.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Unfortunately, it is official. Paulo out for the year with ACL tear.

Threedee

Reaction score
I really feel that they threw away an opportunity to at least go deep into the US Open the way they mishandled the SJ game.

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
I really feel that they threw away an opportunity to at least go deep into the US Open the way they mishandled the SJ game.

Possibly, but is evident that they went 100 percent towards the Concacaf championship. Their slow stsrt to the season and passive approach to the Open Cup speak to that. Now MLS gets their full attention.

Threedee

Reaction score
Possibly, but is evident that they went 100 percent towards the Concacaf championship. Their slow stsrt to the season and passive approach to the Open Cup speak to that. Now MLS gets their full attention.
That was my takeaway from the Minnesota game. They looked like they were zoned in on league play for once.