Seattle Sounders 2020 Season Thread

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sounders are down 2-0 already. Starting Alex Roldan and Nouhou over Leerdam and Smith is puzzling. Not having their best 11 lineup out there is not a good strategy,

JustTheTip

Reaction score
hawkfan68":ogmakuql said:
Sounders are down 2-0 already. Starting Alex Roldan and Nouhou over Leerdam and Smith is puzzling. Not having their best 11 lineup out there is not a good strategy,

Nouhou having a spot on the roster is puzzling to me. For all of his talent he has almost 0 decision-making ability.

olyfan63

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3ppdrpeq said:

I missed the 1st half, but my son-in-law-to-be says that both goals were on Alex Roldan playing more like a winger and less like a back. If Leerdam was in fact healthy and available, baffling that Schmetzer wouldn't have him holding down that outside back spot.

Both first half goals seemed a little "soft" to me, both from a similar type of setup, not the type of goals the Sounders generally concede, and Frei uncharacteristically allowing in that first goal.

The second half looked more like Sounders soccer, but Ledeiro put his golden chance just wide, Jordan Morris' Jozy Altidore-esque header got saved, Svensson didn't find the mark with his header, and Columbus just played our corners very well. Their third goal was simply a result of us pressing up, taking risks to get a score and getting caught.

Congratulations to Columbus for a very well-played game and a well-deserved victory on their part. They came to play and it was truly their night.

Possibly this will be the game that causes Schmetzer to re-evaluate his philosophy on lineups. I don't necessarily have a huge problem with Nouhou and Smith splitting time, and bringing Smith in for the 2nd half to have a fresh Brad Smith against tired opponents has worked fine, but leaving a proven defender like Leerdam on the bench in favor of Alex Roldan is a head-scratcher. Not quite on par with Greg Ryan starting Brianna Scurry over Hope Solo against Brazil, but maybe enough to cause Schmetzer to re-evaluate.

Also, I don't think Schmetzer had quite as good a read on the Columbus to have a good game plan, and only a few days to prepare, and one less day of rest than Columbus. That's the game, though. One of Schmetzer's finest moments as a coach, IMO, was defeating a juggernaut LAFC club last year in the playoffs in that remarkable 3-1 Sounders win. The MLS Cup 3-1 win vs Toronto was a thing of beauty as well. In both cases, Schmetzer knew the opponent well enough to come up with solid game plans and know the matchups and which players to play where and in general come in very prepared. The Sounders didn't look well-prepared vs Columbus.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I think he played a strength that worked against MN United. The problem was twofold: Columbus were far more efficient in the transition and attacking 3rd than MN United. And.. they weren't exhausted.

I dont mind attacking wing backs. I'm a huge Liverpool fan and appreciate the style. We coach at our academy as well. But to do so, you need terrific centerbacks and a holding mid who can shift into the wide channel to cover. Also, for all of the possession you get with the extra attackers, you have to create chances. It looked like many of the transitions came from poor passes in the top of the middle 3rd. If you're going to give it away, it should be a defensive clearance or in the GKs hands.

I'd say on this day, both those areas failed the Sounders. (only watched extended highlights though).

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hard to blame Schmetzer for sticking with what's worked through the playoffs and trying to hold onto that momentum, especially against what he perceived a weakened Crew side without two of their best players.

He did make the necessary adjustments at halftime, and the Sounders looked much more dangerous after that, 45 minutes is plenty of time for a side to respond to a 0-2 deficit in a championship match.........they just couldn't get it done.

So give Porter and the Crew all the credit in the world, they played a fantastic match, and deserved to win.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Didnt know that was Caleb Porter coaching them. Had to feel good for him.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Now Seattle can move on to the biggest issue facing the club, re-signing Schmetzer who's contract expires at the end of the month.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SeatownJay":18jp4elc said:
Now Seattle can move on to the biggest issue facing the club, re-signing Schmetzer who's contract expires at the end of the month.

And giving Lodeiro the contract extension he wanted.

https://www.sounderatheart.com/sounders ... e-sounders

Also didn't pick up Paulo's option. Doesn't mean they wouldn't want to see him back, but not at almost 400k per year.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3sf3adat said:
Played D1, have been coaching academy/club and high school for 15 years here in MN. We've had many a long soccer discussion in here over the years (mostly Sarge and I).

I loved Darwin. Very talented player, very creative. Great guy around our youth players as well. He was a victim of Heath's style of play (true 9 with wingers who play from a deeper position). Quintero is/was terrific playing off the opponents backline and making creative runs in behind or taking on defenders. Heath's system is a bit more conservative/pragmatic. They bashed heads eventually.

The impact of the subs on the game was more than just getting the goals. They ran MN united into unbalanced defensive groupings all over the field, and eventually exhausted the team. Heath never had the confidence to make a change, and the last two goals were physical and mental breakdowns. The lack of a back side defender on the post for both corners is extremely telling. As was the complete lack of movement to the ball.

it was a chess match, for sure.

I appreciate the analysis, and the background. I wasn't able to watch the game live, and have only seen the highlights, plus a brief analysis from my adult soccer-enthusiast children told me. I can relate to Heath not having the confidence to make a change, assuming he felt there would be a drop in quality/continuity that exceeded the boost of having fresh legs on the field, and chose to cross his fingers and hope for the group on the field to see the game out. You would of course be far better able to say whether that is a coaching issue or a team/GM issue in terms of acquiring depth of players the coach can have confidence in, or a mix of both. The Sounders previously unlucky finishing had a suddent streak of luck+skill, thus the win. I will say that Schmetzer goes to his bench decisively and with confidence based on his game plan, plus how the game is going, and what he sees.

I have more of a coaching background than a playing background, as soccer was not available where I grew up. As an adult, I discovered that I could have been a really good soccer player if my lack of skill and lack of fitness didn't hold me back :p I learned coaching with my kids, all three of whom developed a love for the game. I passed them off to pro club coaches at age 10 or so. Later on, I got assorted coaching licenses and coached competitive club teams of other people's kids, won a few tournaments, etc. My two daughters both went on to earn WA HS 1st team all-state, and all-conference in college, as central mids. One holds the career goals and assists records for her D1 university. All three kids tell me the best contribution I gave them was developing them as 2-footed players from day 1. Hence why Jordan Morris's woeful left foot as a rookie stood out to me like a sore thumb.

Darwin was a very fun player to watch, and overall, MLS has turned into a very entertaining and watchable product. I recall Schmetzer talking about an upcoming Sounders game with MN a couple years ago, and he lavished praise on Quintero, and when watching the match, it wasn't hard to see why.

It's been a lot of fun watching Schmetzer work his magic since taking over for Sigi, and I was hoping for a better showing in the MLS Cup final, but Columbus came out and took it on that night.