Seattle Sounders 2020 Season Thread

Uncle Si

Reaction score
MN United are now officially a pro sports team in MN.

No city celebrates gut punch losses more than Minneapolis

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I hope Russell Wilson (Sounders part-owner) was watching. That's how you finish games. Congrats Sounders. Now bring the MLS cup home again.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Wow.

I had a hard time getting to sleep last night, I was so geeked up. Just sad there wasn't 60k fans going berserk there last night. That kind of match deserved that kind of crowd.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Congrats to the Sounders and their great fanbase.
Bring home another Championship!
Seattle Pride!

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I think a ton of credit in this needs to go to Schmetzer.

He made the big decisions at halftime to exploit the already gaping wide channels with faster players. But its a bit deeper than that. One of his subs, and a Sounders fan can correct me if im wrong, was let go from the squad at one point, and brought back specifically for the role filled the other night.

In contrast, MN United's coach has repeatedly come under fire for his conservative approach to games. I enjoy the way the team plays in the attacking 3rd. However, their possession and build up play is laborious, tedious, and inefficient. It lacks pace, creativity, ingenuity. They have been successful that all of those things emerge once the ball gets near goal.

But back to the game, Heath failed to impact the game with subs. He failed to adjust his tactics with a 2 goal lead. Possession was still slow in the middle part of the field, creating turnovers and breaks for Seattle. But also, it isolated the forwards, who were left chasing the ball without help. What sense does it make to press from the front if the midfield cannot join because they were just defending your box? They were exhausted trying to do both. And here was Heath's failure... he didnt change anything, not even a player. This is a reflection of poor decision making, not just in the moment, but in the months previous where planning a team around situations is important.

The last goal shows that. Not a single United player had the energy, physically or mentally, to attack the ball.

Not disappointed. It was a great run for the local team. Heath, despite the criticism above, has take the team to two finals over the last 2 years. And the club is only 4 years old. And Seattle certainly deserves to advance. They were better throughout. As a coach (much lower level, of course), i was fascinated by the decisions of the two coaches and the impact it had on the result.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":3m7df7g4 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DangeRussWilson/status/1336171851685351424[/tweet]

LOL at Wilson recording a video of awkwardly cheering on the slo-mo replay.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1v0g4dvy said:
I think a ton of credit in this needs to go to Schmetzer..

I wish Schmetzer would get some more national love, and not just be seen as a "Seattle guy."

Dude has a ridiculous playoff win record, like 18-5-2 I think? With the ever revolving door of the USMNT, I'd like Schmetzer's name to be thrown around a little more than it is. No one's had more experience and a better understanding of the American game, the American player and how best to take advantage of those things tactically and in the locker room for motiviation.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":qpcf05j3 said:
Uncle Si":qpcf05j3 said:

I wish Schmetzer would get some more national love, and not just be seen as a "Seattle guy."

Dude has a ridiculous playoff win record, like 18-5-2 I think? With the ever revolving door of the USMNT, I'd like Schmetzer's name to be thrown around a little more than it is. No one's had more experience and a better understanding of the American game, the American player and how best to take advantage of those things tactically and in the locker room for motiviation.
I’m not a big soccer guy, but you cannot argue with his results/success.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3rxnsewv said:

He made the big decisions at halftime to exploit the already gaping wide channels with faster players. But its a bit deeper than that. One of his subs, and a Sounders fan can correct me if im wrong, was let go from the squad at one point, and brought back specifically for the role filled the other night.

In contrast, MN United's coach has repeatedly come under fire for his conservative approach to games. I enjoy the way the team plays in the attacking 3rd. However, their possession and build up play is laborious, tedious, and inefficient. It lacks pace, creativity, ingenuity. They have been successful that all of those things emerge once the ball gets near goal.

But back to the game, Heath failed to impact the game with subs. He failed to adjust his tactics with a 2 goal lead. Possession was still slow in the middle part of the field, creating turnovers and breaks for Seattle. But also, it isolated the forwards, who were left chasing the ball without help. What sense does it make to press from the front if the midfield cannot join because they were just defending your box? They were exhausted trying to do both. And here was Heath's failure... he didnt change anything, not even a player. This is a reflection of poor decision making, not just in the moment, but in the months previous where planning a team around situations is important.

The last goal shows that. Not a single United player had the energy, physically or mentally, to attack the ball.

Not disappointed. It was a great run for the local team. Heath, despite the criticism above, has take the team to two finals over the last 2 years. And the club is only 4 years old. And Seattle certainly deserves to advance. They were better throughout. As a coach (much lower level, of course), i was fascinated by the decisions of the two coaches and the impact it had on the result.

Who knew you were a soccer fan, and a coach even! Thanks for the analysis from the MN point of view. So you got to watch the amazing Darwin Quintero for a couple seasons! I also have been a soccer coach and had the joy of seeing both my daughters excel and become outstanding college soccer players. Not that it qualifies me to do anything other than appreciate the quality the Sounders and Schmetzer bring to the game. Mainly it meant I noticed Jordan Morris's horrible left-foot skill deficiency, and his remarkable progress in improving that the last 3 years.

Schmetzer definitely gets massive credit, for creating the culture and getting players to buy in 100% and give their all, whether they're on the field starting, or coming in as a sub. Hence sub Will Bruin and his absolute mental preparedness to come in and score the goal that got the Sounders back in the game. And sub Gustav Svensson, coming in at 77th minute and scoring in the 93rd minute.

I'm also concluding that Garth Lagerway and the Sounders scouting operation should get tons of credit, in that they have truly worked miracles in finding and bring in the type of players that fit Schmetzer's system and the psych profile that he wants for that player to be a positive, contributing member of the team in all types of situations, and to never quit on his teammates.

The victory over MN was truly never-quit, vintage clutch Sounders. They have scored so many late-game goals the last few years to change negative outcomes to positive results, so this was actually quite in character.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":olc3das6 said:
Uncle Si":olc3das6 said:

Schmetzer got badly outcoached by Toronto's Greg Vanney in the first 2 MLS cups and the Sounders were lucky to win the first matchup in a PK shootout, basically against the run of play. It was so disappointing to see the 2nd MLS Cup vs Toronto be a repeat of the first one, except Toronto scoring. WTF?? Didn't Schmetzer learn from the on-field beat-down but magical PK shootout win of the first MLS Cup? Last year, 2019, it was so fantastic to see Schmetzer finally conquer this demon and beat Vanney's Toronto side by actually outplaying them.

It couldn't hurt to have Schmetzer get a shot with USMNT; I honestly have no idea how it would turn out. However, I submit that Schmetzer's biggest successes in MLS, Jordan Morris aside, have come from South American and European players, especially Lodeiro, Ruidiaz, and of course oft-injured Victor Rodriguez having one great shining moment. OK, so scratch that. Every time I start to form an argument, it turns out that Schmetzer's gotten great results with players from all over, including lots of American players, Dempsey, Chad Marshall, and S. American players and European players, African players, and even Asian players, Kim Kee-hee coming to mind.

OK, I'll sign the petition, Schmetzer for USMNT coach.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
The Columbus Crew will be missing at least two starters for MLS Cup after the team announced that Darlington Nagbe and Pedro Santos are not medically cleared to participate. The Crew also announced that another player tested positive for Covid-19, in addition to the positive test that came back on Tuesday. No other players or staff tested positive.

https://www.sounderatheart.com/2020/12/ ... ay-mls-cup

olyfan63

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":28a95q02 said:
The Columbus Crew will be missing at least two starters for MLS Cup after the team announced that Darlington Nagbe and Pedro Santos are not medically cleared to participate. The Crew also announced that another player tested positive for Covid-19, in addition to the positive test that came back on Tuesday. No other players or staff tested positive.

https://www.sounderatheart.com/2020/12/ ... ay-mls-cup
WOW. Just WOW.
I was just coming here to post that, and you beat me to it.
Another source:
https://www.espn.com/soccer/columbus-cr ... covid-case

I'd expect Columbus' midfield chemistry to suffer greatly. But soccer is a funny game, so we'll find out what midfield depth Columbus has, and how their coach compensates. In theory, it improves the Sounders chances, but also makes Columbus a different team than the one the Sounders have scouted and prepared for.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Could be dangerous. Columbus will be pumped up in a 'lets win this for Nagbe' way and I expect them to come out of the doors flying.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
olyfan63":27txzbn2 said:
Uncle Si":27txzbn2 said:

Who knew you were a soccer fan, and a coach even! Thanks for the analysis from the MN point of view. So you got to watch the amazing Darwin Quintero for a couple seasons! I also have been a soccer coach and had the joy of seeing both my daughters excel and become outstanding college soccer players. Not that it qualifies me to do anything other than appreciate the quality the Sounders and Schmetzer bring to the game. Mainly it meant I noticed Jordan Morris's horrible left-foot skill deficiency, and his remarkable progress in improving that the last 3 years.

Schmetzer definitely gets massive credit, for creating the culture and getting players to buy in 100% and give their all, whether they're on the field starting, or coming in as a sub. Hence sub Will Bruin and his absolute mental preparedness to come in and score the goal that got the Sounders back in the game. And sub Gustav Svensson, coming in at 77th minute and scoring in the 93rd minute.

I'm also concluding that Garth Lagerway and the Sounders scouting operation should get tons of credit, in that they have truly worked miracles in finding and bring in the type of players that fit Schmetzer's system and the psych profile that he wants for that player to be a positive, contributing member of the team in all types of situations, and to never quit on his teammates.

The victory over MN was truly never-quit, vintage clutch Sounders. They have scored so many late-game goals the last few years to change negative outcomes to positive results, so this was actually quite in character.

Played D1, have been coaching academy/club and high school for 15 years here in MN. We've had many a long soccer discussion in here over the years (mostly Sarge and I).

I loved Darwin. Very talented player, very creative. Great guy around our youth players as well. He was a victim of Heath's style of play (true 9 with wingers who play from a deeper position). Quintero is/was terrific playing off the opponents backline and making creative runs in behind or taking on defenders. Heath's system is a bit more conservative/pragmatic. They bashed heads eventually.

The impact of the subs on the game was more than just getting the goals. They ran MN united into unbalanced defensive groupings all over the field, and eventually exhausted the team. Heath never had the confidence to make a change, and the last two goals were physical and mental breakdowns. The lack of a back side defender on the post for both corners is extremely telling. As was the complete lack of movement to the ball.

it was a chess match, for sure.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
olyfan63":sxmmw43a said:
Sgt. Largent":sxmmw43a said:
Uncle Si":sxmmw43a said:

Schmetzer got badly outcoached by Toronto's Greg Vanney in the first 2 MLS cups and the Sounders were lucky to win the first matchup in a PK shootout, basically against the run of play. It was so disappointing to see the 2nd MLS Cup vs Toronto be a repeat of the first one, except Toronto scoring. WTF?? Didn't Schmetzer learn from the on-field beat-down but magical PK shootout win of the first MLS Cup? Last year, 2019, it was so fantastic to see Schmetzer finally conquer this demon and beat Vanney's Toronto side by actually outplaying them.

It couldn't hurt to have Schmetzer get a shot with USMNT; I honestly have no idea how it would turn out. However, I submit that Schmetzer's biggest successes in MLS, Jordan Morris aside, have come from South American and European players, especially Lodeiro, Ruidiaz, and of course oft-injured Victor Rodriguez having one great shining moment. OK, so scratch that. Every time I start to form an argument, it turns out that Schmetzer's gotten great results with players from all over, including lots of American players, Dempsey, Chad Marshall, and S. American players and European players, African players, and even Asian players, Kim Kee-hee coming to mind.

OK, I'll sign the petition, Schmetzer for USMNT coach.

Isn't that what any organization and/or soccer federation wants out of their coach? Someone who's pliable and has the skill and knowledge of the game to learn and adapt?

That was the knock on Bradley, and Klinsmann for that matter.......they both only had one style of tactics, so it was constant fight to try to find players that fit those very specific tactics and philosophy.

Schmetzer does not have that level of ego that prevents him from being a fluid and objective coach that knows how to change his tactics based on the strengths of his players.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
The amount of chatter about a MLS/Liga Mx merger is interesting. I think it's a few years off but i'm personally for it.

Feel like by doing it the MLS teams can take shackles off with the salary cap and are forced to up their game against the Mexican teams. Mexican teams get access to a bigger tv market. Obviously a lot to sort out and I imagine it would be divisions rather than conferences to limit travel e.g. a Mexican division with interleague play.

I think we see more cup competitions in the mean time as a stop gap.

Latest posts