Seahawks Visit White House May 21

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
HawkWow":cyq1kjql said:
irocdave":cyq1kjql said:
All politics aside, if you get the chance to be a guest at the Whitehouse via an invitation by the residing President of the United States of America you make every attempt to make it. Doesn't matter if you like the guy or not or believe in hios policies. He is the most powerful person in the world and is the face of OUR nation. I hope Lynch had a great reason for not showing up.

I don't agree with this at all. I would feel cheap and not true to my values, prostituting myself, if I went and got chummy with someone I actually despised. The fact that person is the "most powerful man in the world" would only make it worse. To make clear, I do not hate this president. But some do. I am just offering an example.

I am reminded of an accident I had not that long ago. An atheist my entire life, I was told I should "start praying to God" by a staff person at the hospital. I simply replied: I never prayed before, I would be a hypocrite if I started praying now and I would rather die than be unable to look myself in the mirror.

You can't have it both ways. You can't not believe in God, or your president, then change your beliefs only when beneficial to yourself. IMO.
Sure you can. I despised the last president and this guy ain't much better, in fact there hasn't been a president in my lifetime I've "liked" per say, but, you can respect the position of the president of the United States without liking the guy that may be in the office when your team is invited after winning the championship!

By going to the whitehouse as a team you are NOT endorsing the guy, his policies, or POV. It's all about the celebration and the recognition of winning a championship and nothing to do with politics IMHO, YMMV.

theascension

Reaction score
I don't see why it's a big deal? Lynch just isn't that kind of guy, media isn't his thing and maybe the White House isn't a big deal to him? Personally I'll never understand the obsession with putting the POTUS as a king-like status. Any old civilian can have a coffee or chat with the Leader of Norway etc.
Marshawn's just being Marshawn, his teammates understand I'm sure and I think we should too.

Omahawk

Reaction score
I cried.

The weird thing about it was that it wasn't green. Or blue. In fact, I remember this happening once before. It was when I watched the Seahawks bus sendoff video. My tears weren't green then either. So weird.

All joking aside, this was a very powerful moment in my "career" as a 12th Man and it was extremely emotional for me. I love this team. I love you guys and gals, my fellow 12th Man. I have never once had a feeling like this during the spring or summer. I want the offseason to last forever. Normally it drags on forEVER. This year it's different. I'd like to just kind of bask in this for awhile. I'll enjoy this summer. Let's let the offseason take its time.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
HawkWow":1nphbk1s said:
irocdave":1nphbk1s said:
All politics aside, if you get the chance to be a guest at the Whitehouse via an invitation by the residing President of the United States of America you make every attempt to make it. Doesn't matter if you like the guy or not or believe in hios policies. He is the most powerful person in the world and is the face of OUR nation. I hope Lynch had a great reason for not showing up.

I don't agree with this at all. I would feel cheap and not true to my values, prostituting myself, if I went and got chummy with someone I actually despised. The fact that person is the "most powerful man in the world" would only make it worse. To make clear, I do not hate this president. But some do. I am just offering an example.

I am reminded of an accident I had not that long ago. An atheist my entire life, I was told I should "start praying to God" by a staff person at the hospital. I simply replied: I never prayed before, I would be a hypocrite if I started praying now and I would rather die than be unable to look myself in the mirror.

You can't have it both ways. You can't not believe in God, or your president, then change your beliefs only when beneficial to yourself. IMO.

Dear God we get it, you don't like him. STFU and let others enjoy this moment. People who can separate politics from sport for example.

TwilightError

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the exact moment when Barack passed the torch to Pete, who is stepping on the podium to give his first speech as the President of the United States. Behind you can see the newly voted senate.

tempAP191803560894_13--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

Or... Wait a minute, is that Bill Clinton?

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
HawkWow":1rlsr48s said:
edogg23":1rlsr48s said:
It does bug me a little bit that Lynch wasn't there. It's amazing how someone so motivated to gain every extra tenth of an inch on the field, an absolute beast who sacrifices his body on every cary, could be so indifferent about everything else off the field football related. Now if it turns out he had something personal that was important going on then I stand corrected. There are just some things that bond you as a team and I would think this is one of them.

Screw the whitehouse if it and / or it's current resident, doesn't represent something you believe in. No matter the reason for Lynch's absence, I applaud his decision to not go. I wouldn't go either and that is not a *shot at Obama.

I think it was like 1988, after Bird and the Celts won the championship, Reagan made a big deal out of Larry visiting the WH. Bird passed oon the invite and his reason was he "had more important issues to address". It was later reported he returned to French Lick, Ind and mowed his mom's yard. ; )

* Secret service, please carefully read the context in which this was written before kicking in my door and hauling me away to some foreign country that accepts pay for torture. I thank you in advance.

The majority of the players tweets were appreciating the place and the history behind it...they get it. People need to look further than the end of their nose and get over petty, personal likes/dislikes. I can appreciate whatever Bird's reasons where, especially if he was doing something, anything for his family. Further, Marshawn has well-known issues with the media. Can we leave it at that? How does that translate to 'screw the whitehouse?' :177692:

brimsalabim

Reaction score
As much taxes as these guys are paying they should get to weekend there.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And in typical fashon, the local media talked about how "dissapointed" they were in Lynch. All before even finding out WHY he wasn't there. :roll:

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Don't care if Lynch was there. Different drummer, different beat. It's all a bit canned and fake and it's a tradition to meet the Prez, not some law of life.

I was touched by what a big deal this was to some of the players, though. You can see in their expressions just what a big deal this is to them.

The second time our team goes to the white house, it won't be such a big deal. In a season of firsts, this is one more experience for my memory bank to hold onto until I dirt nap.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
irocdave":1cysbvha said:

"I don't want to" is as valid a reason as any other. Lynch seems to not necessarily be shy, but he seems happiest when he's not in the spotlight with cameras pointing at him. And that's pretty much what this event was. I don't think it was political or anything else... I just think it was another illustration of Lynch's discomfort with media situations. It's not like Obama was calling on Lynch and the Seahawks to come serve the nation in some capacity. It was just a media event, regardless of the uniqueness of it.

edogg23

Reaction score
I get that Lynch may have had a legit excuse. But for those who are saying its fine even if he just didn't want to go, let me ask this. What if half the players on the team decided they didn't want to go? The Seahawks would look horrible and this special event would no longer be special.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1qzttsp0 said:
So he wasn't there, so what. Move on and enjoy the moment.

No doubt, got some people here imposing their own values on others and being judgmental.

Please don't make me lock this thread.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
edogg23":1p0w7ip0 said:
I get that Lynch may have had a legit excuse. But for those who are saying its fine even if he just didn't want to go, let me ask this. What if half the players on the team decided they didn't want to go? The Seahawks would look horrible and this special event would no longer be special.

The ol' slippery slope argument, one of my favorites.

I feel bad for Marshawn cause how many times in your life do you get a chance to meet the president and do something as cool as celebrate a SB win at the White House?

But I don't get people being mad at him, it's his life. If he doesn't care, then he doesn't care.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Fact of the matter is, that #24 hasn't always been the way he is now, when it comes to being behind the camera one on one. Something happened that changed him. There are plenty of early videos to be found, where you can see he was having fun and enjoying being talked to.
I'm not sure what exactly happened but I choose to blame the media in general.
IMHO the dude has a great personality and I have a strong disdain of the media for taking that part of him away from us.
This was a great moment in Seahawk history, M.L. Missed it. I can only assume that he did what he felt was best for him. I would have enjoyed seeing him there but not at the expense of him being uncomfortable or missing a important personal event.
Who was this trip for, the team or us,as fans? IMHO 80% for them 20% for the fans.
GoHawks.

JonRud

Reaction score
The Seahawks visited the White House as World Champions. Is this all real or am I dreaming?

HawkWow

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":2mbpuzfq said:
HawkWow":2mbpuzfq said:
irocdave":2mbpuzfq said:

Dear God we get it, you don't like him. STFU and let others enjoy this moment. People who can separate politics from sport for example.

[redacted]

HawkWow

Reaction score
Scottemojo":23scikkr said:
Don't care if Lynch was there. Different drummer, different beat. It's all a bit canned and fake and it's a tradition to meet the Prez, not some law of life.

I was touched by what a big deal this was to some of the players, though. You can see in their expressions just what a big deal this is to them.

The second time our team goes to the white house, it won't be such a big deal. In a season of firsts, this is one more experience for my memory bank to hold onto until I dirt nap .

I think your post sums it all up superbly. It's fun for some, not as much for others, and an inconvenience to others as well. Props to Marshawn and props to Obama for mentioning him even in his absence.