Seahawks trade Ugo Amadi for WR J.J. Arcega-Whiteside

toffee

Reaction score
My take:

Colby Parkinson sucked in Steeler game, probably didn't do too well in training camp, Hawks need a tall possession receiver. Whiteside just might fill that need.

Ugo hasn't been great and his contract is good til 2023. We are getting something here, vs nothing once he hit free agent.

Won't be surprise that Hawks release Parkinson to free up a roster spot.

Last edited:

Scout

Reaction score
When looking at the bottom five or ten players on the roster versatility is important. Arcega-Whiteside has a shot of making the roster if he shows some versatility with the coaching staff.

JPatera76

Reaction score
I feel this move is for a big bodied blocking in the trenches type TE now. As even white side said in an interview he’s enjoyed the swap and challenge of getting in the trenches. Something we’ve really lacked since Zach miller

Rat

Reaction score
Telling about Ugo's status that we traded a player at one of our weakest positions for a huge bust at one of our strongest.

OP
OP
S

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Dave Wyman just got done saying that Ugo was often out of position and looked confused. That's coming from a guy who liked Ugo, and an actual former player.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I’m not sure why we don’t just go sign some Cooper Kupp clone. Can’t be that hard right?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I thought he was way overrated coming out of college but he did shred the Huskies defense in 2017. Maybe a change of scenery helps him but seems like another Funchess...great college player but not much in the NFL.

As for Amadi...I knew his days were numbered as soon as they signed Justin Coleman. Plus with Coby Bryant also playing nickel, it spelled the end for Amadi. At least they were able to get something back for him.

Go12's

Reaction score
I thought he was way overrated coming out of college but he did shred the Huskies defense in 2017. Maybe a change of scenery helps him but seems like another Funchess...great college player but not much in the NFL.

As for Amadi...I knew his days were numbered as soon as they signed Justin Coleman. Plus with Coby Bryant also playing nickel, it spelled the end for Amadi. At least they were able to get something back for him.
I think you and this draft analyst below were probably the only two people that got it right then. Most were pretty high on Whiteside in the 2019 draft.

College Football Metrics NFL Draft Scouting Report: “Everyone seems to love Arcega-Whiteside, and I don’t. Part of it I’ve seen a good amount of his tape, and I didn’t get ‘it’ at all. Slow out of the gate, constantly covered tightly, good hands but never open. Then I saw his weak pro day numbers and was like...‘Yup.’ I thought he’d fall mightily in the draft and then the constantly-making-me-go-‘WTF’-Eagles selected him #52 overall (their last 4-5 years of drafts is head-shaking). And then I see reports of him working in the slot and people talking about him as the Eagles future #1 WR, and yet I’m sitting over here wondering if he should even be drafted. I’m watching a UDFA talent WR – good hands, slow feet, no downfield burst, no sharp cuts 3+ yards down the field. Everything is a leaping catch or contested catch. No thank you.”

jammerhawk

Reaction score
One area of the team that we are not hearing much about is the NCB play. We have a good bit of talent on the team with Blair and Coleman competing for the NCB job. There are others too so Amadi was surplus to need and likely bring up the rear in terms of competion for the job. Amadi is as well in the final year of his rookie deal.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Instead of outright releasing Amadi, the Seahawks looked to find him a team that would take him. Thus helping a player who's services were no longer needed on Seahawks. It's things like this that makes me think the said player views that favorably as they could have cut him. But instead chose to help him find a potential new home.

sc85sis

Reaction score
One area of the team that we are not hearing much about is the NCB play. We have a good bit of talent on the team with Blair and Coleman competing for the NCB job. There are others too so Amadi was surplus to need and likely bring up the rear in terms of competion for the job. Amadi is as well in the final year of his rookie deal.
They moved Bryant to NCB in the game last Saturday after he gave up the TD, and he seemed to play better there.

I still think his coverage on that TD pass was actually good. It was a well-thrown ball, and the receiver did push off a little. Could have gone either way.

Slick

Reaction score
My take:

Colby Parkinson sucked in Steeler game, probably didn't do too well in training camp, Hawks need a tall possession receiver. Whiteside just might fill that need.

Ugo hasn't been great and his contract is good til 2023. We are getting something here, vs nothing once he hit free agent.

Won't be surprise that Hawks release Parkinson to free up a roster spot.
I feel like Colby Parkinson is the new Luke Willson: long-haired, goofy white guy that lacks real talent but hey "he's funny and gritty and brings his lunchpail DUR DUR".

toffee

Reaction score
Final of rookie deal was key, he will have no trade value at that point.