Seahawks Lockette......?

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":6oj7ja78 said:
Kearse didn't get off the jam. Lockette assumed (wrongly) he would be able to and didn't anticipate Butler. Bad catching technique by Lockette anyway trying to scoop it instead of pluck it.

Bad execution all round -- but you do that play 100 times and maybe 95 times it's a TD the way they lined up.

Probably. But, I think it's the general consensus that... it's the Super Bowl and it was too much risk for the given situation and the other less risky, excellent play options that would have also had a high probability of success. I agree with Cris Collinsworth... if the Patriots are going to beat you there, let them try to stop what got you there.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":33xd065s said:
theENGLISHseahawk":33xd065s said:
Kearse didn't get off the jam. Lockette assumed (wrongly) he would be able to and didn't anticipate Butler. Bad catching technique by Lockette anyway trying to scoop it instead of pluck it.

Bad execution all round -- but you do that play 100 times and maybe 95 times it's a TD the way they lined up.

Probably. But, I think it's the general consensus that... it's the Super Bowl and it was too much risk for the given situation and the other less risky, excellent play options that would have also had a high probability of success. I agree with Cris Collinsworth... if the Patriots are going to beat you there, let them try to stop what got you there.

I would've rather seen a read option pass or even a run and just accept the definite pass on third. But I get the call and it was WIDE OPEN if Kearse does his job. He didn't.

Hawks46

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1v5mw5k7 said:

This. There are very few teams that can stop this play if ran correctly. Actually, it's really hard to keep a team out of the end zone with less than a yard to go and 3 downs to do it.

Every one says Lockette should've come harder to the ball, or shielded the CB. Here's the problem: the way it was lined up, Kearse was supposed to rub/pick Butler, moving from Lockette's left to his right (this is important). Kearse doesn't get off the jam. I don't have a problem with it, as it's Browner jamming him. Things get washed through, and Butler makes a break on the ball, but he's honestly 2 yards back at the time. How exactly is Lockette supposed to shield a guy that was: A. supposed to get picked, and B. isn't close enough to sense where he's at in the first place ?

Here's the few things that went wrong:

First, we don't run that play a lot, so expecting excellent execution on something that isn't ordinary for us to do isn't reasonable. I mean, you can expect it, but don't count on it the majority of the time.

Secondly, Kearse is supposed to get a pick/rub on Lock's guy., Problem is, they lined up Browner on Kearse. We all know that Browner is the toughest CB to get off of a jam against in the entire league. He's the biggest, strongest, and longest. He's going to get his hands on you before you get 2 steps off the line and any sort of momentum. This should be a red flag "gee, Browner is going to jam Kearse, who is supposed to get through Browner and rub Lock's guy" I wouldn't like the matchup to be honest. Is this on Wilson to audible out of ?

Third, Lockette doesn't have the best hands. Typically, you can sling it into a guy's body on a slant like this, but like English mentioned, if Lockette reaches for this ball, he either gets his hands on it, or gets his hands on it first to where Butler either disrupts the play for an incompletion, or if he's there too early, might get a PI call. Can't really blame Lock as he didn't even feel the guy there. If he didn't feel the guy there, the pick must've worked, right ? You can't see what's going on behind you. Put yourself in his position on the play.

Fourth: Wilson threw a bad ball. It wasn't horrible under normal circumstances, but at the goal line, where everything is condensed, and into traffic, you have to put it where it's supposed to be. The ball needs to be down, and either dead center of Lockette's body, or slightly behind. Why slightly behind ? Because Kearse was moving left to right with Browner. The ONLY path to that football is in front of Lockette. If the ball is in the middle of Lock's body, Butler has to hit Lock early and go through him to make a play. PI call. If it's behind, Butler really can't do much of anything, as Browner was still in the way. TD. This goes back to expecting Wilson to make a very excellent pass he normally doesn't throw a lot in games.

My final premise on this one is that Pete said they called this play to kind of "waste a play". So when he's saying that, automatically they are thinking it probably won't work. I know the statistics about how safe a play this is. I also know that a pass into traffic in the end zone is a scary proposition for both teams. And now you're throwing to NE's strength: their secondary.

I still feel it comes down to play call. A lot had to go right to make that happen, and everything went wrong. Literally everything. And that ball is up in the air for grabs. The Pats had 3 guys out there that weighed damn near 350 lbs. We hadn't run the R/O keeper all day. The Pats OLB's had shown they didn't have the speed to stay with Wilson.

Either a Read Option keeper or a QB rollout would've scored a TD, and taken a good 10 seconds off of the clock. I could be talking to Pete Carroll himself, and he couldn't convince me that with at least 2 big bodied WRs to one side (preferrably one a TE) and Wilson rolling out with 1 yard to gain, that NE could've stopped Wilson from getting that ball into the end zone.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":23rkbgcm said:
TeamoftheCentury":23rkbgcm said:
theENGLISHseahawk":23rkbgcm said:

I would've rather seen a read option pass or even a run and just accept the definite pass on third. But I get the call and it was WIDE OPEN if Kearse does his job. He didn't.

I'm with ya. I find some solace knowing that I PROUDLY feel like many other fans such as yourself and many here at .net
It's not really a "misery loves company" thing, either. It's that while other knuckleheads just want to smear it in our faces, we know what we've got and we're a strongly united fanbase.

It's a great time to be a Seahawks fan. We're relevant, hated by our competition, and the outlook remains great in the foreseeable future. I absolutely hate losing esp when the Hawks really should have had it at the end there. But, it's a wonderful ride.

Excited to talk draft this off-season.

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2r5jmuxb said:
Much like Alex bannister in the "we want the ball and were going to score" game, he's a great special teams player forced into more of a wr role then he should have, and it cost us huge.

I made this very comparison (in my head) on Sunday night.

Due to his speed, I understand using Lock on the slant between the 20's, but not there. Why?

suppaball

Reaction score
captSE":2sjxovnq said:
Maybe Wilson farted right as he was releasing the ball and got distracted.
:stirthepot:
Thank you I needed that good laugh .. Still lol.

Hyak

Reaction score
Questionable play call, personnel grouping, and worse execution on our side. Excellent execution on the NE side.

As for the Wilson element to it, it's a timing through and the design is to lead the receiver as that spot SHOULD be open. Brady Quinn's analysis on Football by Football is a good read of this as he was here last offseason/preseason and knows our playbook/design of plays.

The problems were that Kearse got stonewalled by Browner, Butler jumped the route, and Lockette was ill-prepared to fight for the ball as he didn't expect Butler there at all.

The big mistake strategically from the Hawks IMO was that we should have been in the jumbo set and run a play action roll out if the underlying concept was to ensure that if it did not work there was plenty of time on the clock and one timeout.

Northhawk

Reaction score
Hawks46":240dqwlo said:
theENGLISHseahawk":240dqwlo said:

This. There are very few teams that can stop this play if ran correctly. Actually, it's really hard to keep a team out of the end zone with less than a yard to go and 3 downs to do it.

Every one says Lockette should've come harder to the ball, or shielded the CB. Here's the problem: the way it was lined up, Kearse was supposed to rub/pick Butler, moving from Lockette's left to his right (this is important). Kearse doesn't get off the jam. I don't have a problem with it, as it's Browner jamming him. Things get washed through, and Butler makes a break on the ball, but he's honestly 2 yards back at the time. How exactly is Lockette supposed to shield a guy that was: A. supposed to get picked, and B. isn't close enough to sense where he's at in the first place ?

Here's the few things that went wrong:

First, we don't run that play a lot, so expecting excellent execution on something that isn't ordinary for us to do isn't reasonable. I mean, you can expect it, but don't count on it the majority of the time.

Secondly, Kearse is supposed to get a pick/rub on Lock's guy., Problem is, they lined up Browner on Kearse. We all know that Browner is the toughest CB to get off of a jam against in the entire league. He's the biggest, strongest, and longest. He's going to get his hands on you before you get 2 steps off the line and any sort of momentum. This should be a red flag "gee, Browner is going to jam Kearse, who is supposed to get through Browner and rub Lock's guy" I wouldn't like the matchup to be honest. Is this on Wilson to audible out of ?

Third, Lockette doesn't have the best hands. Typically, you can sling it into a guy's body on a slant like this, but like English mentioned, if Lockette reaches for this ball, he either gets his hands on it, or gets his hands on it first to where Butler either disrupts the play for an incompletion, or if he's there too early, might get a PI call. Can't really blame Lock as he didn't even feel the guy there. If he didn't feel the guy there, the pick must've worked, right ? You can't see what's going on behind you. Put yourself in his position on the play.

Fourth: Wilson threw a bad ball. It wasn't horrible under normal circumstances, but at the goal line, where everything is condensed, and into traffic, you have to put it where it's supposed to be. The ball needs to be down, and either dead center of Lockette's body, or slightly behind. Why slightly behind ? Because Kearse was moving left to right with Browner. The ONLY path to that football is in front of Lockette. If the ball is in the middle of Lock's body, Butler has to hit Lock early and go through him to make a play. PI call. If it's behind, Butler really can't do much of anything, as Browner was still in the way. TD. This goes back to expecting Wilson to make a very excellent pass he normally doesn't throw a lot in games.

My final premise on this one is that Pete said they called this play to kind of "waste a play". So when he's saying that, automatically they are thinking it probably won't work. I know the statistics about how safe a play this is. I also know that a pass into traffic in the end zone is a scary proposition for both teams. And now you're throwing to NE's strength: their secondary.

I still feel it comes down to play call. A lot had to go right to make that happen, and everything went wrong. Literally everything. And that ball is up in the air for grabs. The Pats had 3 guys out there that weighed damn near 350 lbs. We hadn't run the R/O keeper all day. The Pats OLB's had shown they didn't have the speed to stay with Wilson.

Either a Read Option keeper or a QB rollout would've scored a TD, and taken a good 10 seconds off of the clock. I could be talking to Pete Carroll himself, and he couldn't convince me that with at least 2 big bodied WRs to one side (preferrably one a TE) and Wilson rolling out with 1 yard to gain, that NE could've stopped Wilson from getting that ball into the end zone.

Watched the play too many times now but the above sums it up. No one person is responsible. It was a collective failure on the Hawks side. However, because I've seen it a million times now, I got down to who screwed up the most and I'd put it in the following order:
1) Bevell for calling this particular pass play and not trying to disguise it. Browner recognizes it right off the top and communicates with the rest. They clearly were ready for this play.
2) Lockette because not because he didn't make the catch but because he just didn't fight for the ball. He folded like a tent and looks like he gives up.
3) Kearse for not completing the rub. Yes, Browner is tough but Kearse should have been ready and prepared.
4) Wilson for not throwing a perfect pass when perfection was required. It's not a bad throw but off enough to expose Lockette.
5) Carroll for calling for a pass. Really, passing isn't a bad idea in this situation but not this play.

It's natural to want to point figures when things go wrong but hanging this on Bevell or Lockette or Wilson or whoever isn't quite fair. It was a collective failure at the key moment in the game.

Finger pointing may help some rationalize the loss but the truth is our offence just didn't play well enough to win the game. If it had, we wouldn't have been in that situation. I'm giving the D a pass given all the injuries.

Time to turn the page and look forward to next year. Let's improve the offense and shore up the D and start again!

imout

Reaction score
That last play the way we were lined up I thought Lynch was gonna block for Wilson and Wilson was gonna do what he does best and run it right into the end zone.