Sam Howell is our Brock Purdy, until he isn't.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Yeah, these comparisons to Baker Mayfield and Brock Purdy to me is pretty damn spot on.

Howell, doesn’t scream “superstar” right now but I’m a fair guy, I’ll give him a shot.

Howell, isn’t bad…he did rip Seattle up last year…he’s capable.

Give the man a chance.

If Mac and Schneider retools and rebuilds the trenches to elite levels, man, the possibilities with Howell or any QB for that matter, may be wildly fun to watch!

Go Hawks!!!!!

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
He hasn't even taken a snap yet. Until he does, we should all reserve judgment . That said, the chances of him succeeding and becoming a top ten, much less top five qbotf are very low based on his short history and the long history of 5th round qb's overall, so no one should be getting their hopes up. If he beats our expectations, then great, fantastic, good for everyone. If not, he's a cheap backup while we continue to kick the can down the road...
Lock only had 21 starts before he was designated a failure. (23 starts after last season)

Both Howell and Lock have similar numbers as of now. It's safe to say they both suck.

But I'm willing to give Howell 5 more starts before I officially declare him a bust.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
In my humble opinion, I believe that if you had switched teams for both Howell and Purdy last season, Howell would be the one people are raving about, and Purdy wouldn't even be a second thought.
This^; There's a world of difference in the Coaching strategies between the Commanders and the 49rs, Purdy has had a huge protection advantage over Howell, and, there's been a night & day difference between the supporting cast of players around these two QB's, I mean just look at who Purdy had @ RB (one of the best in the League last year), and that's just for starters.
OH AND, I've yet to see OC Ryan Grub's name even mentioned, I think Howell needs room to grow... Playing for 'Cheap' as a backup with a new Coach & System? NOBODY in here has the expertise to be calling him "ASS", No one here has yet to see him play a single down as a Seahawk, so "we don't know what we don't know".

Last edited:

WarHawks

Reaction score
Tom Brady was a 6th Round Pick. Kurt Warner wasn't even drafted. Brock Purdy was the last pick in the draft.

Just sayin
Yes, and those are pretty much the only notable exceptions (maybe Russ also) among dozens of late round qb's. The hit rate on late round qb's is abysmally low. Hopefully he's another exception, but so far, it's not looking great. Maybe the new regime will help him. Fingers crossed.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Tom Brady was a 6th Round Pick. Kurt Warner wasn't even drafted. Brock Purdy was the last pick in the draft.

Just sayin
Mind listing all of the 5th and 6th round picks that didn't make it? QB's like Kurt Warner, Brock Purdy and Tom Brady are edge cases at best. The chances go down substantially of finding even a starting caliber QB after the first round.

At the end of the day this move seems kind of perplexing to me. I sure hope they're not hedging on Sam Howell being the QB of the future. As a backup he's the type you would want, but I certainly wouldn't want to hedge my bets on a Sam Howell character as a future starter.

xray

Reaction score
Howell hasn't proved anything ; except that he's a tough gunslinger type QB . He must be tough to take 65 sacks ; and the gunslinger shit is fairly evident...he throws a whole bunch , which resulted in 21 ints . His gunslinging resulted in leading Washington to an admirable 4-13 record . That is ' ass ' quarter-backing on an ' ass ' team , where I wished he would of stayed . Don't tell me he has ' potential '. Everybody has potential . If he turns out to be awesome , I will be the 1st one to eat crow .

Wheetie

Reaction score
Mind listing all of the 5th and 6th round picks that didn't make it? QB's like Kurt Warner, Brock Purdy and Tom Brady are edge cases at best. The chances go down substantially of finding even a starting caliber QB after the first round.

At the end of the day this move seems kind of perplexing to me. I sure hope they're not hedging on Sam Howell being the QB of the future. As a backup he's the type you would want, but I certainly wouldn't want to hedge my bets on a Sam Howell character as a future starter.
"The chances go down substantially of finding even a starting caliber QB after the first round."

I'd edit this to say including the first round...

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Howell hasn't proved anything ; except that he's a tough gunslinger type QB . He must be tough to take 65 sacks ; and the gunslinger shit is fairly evident...he throws a whole bunch , which resulted in 21 ints . His gunslinging resulted in leading Washington to an admirable 4-13 record . That is ' ass ' quarter-backing on an ' ass ' team , where I wished he would of stayed . Don't tell me he has ' potential '. Everybody has potential . If he turns out to be awesome , I will be the 1st one to eat crow .
He did throw a whole bunch and may be more than a rookie QB should, that said, I doubt he called his own plays or audible a whole bunch. The question ought to be why his HC and OC called those passing plays for him.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Purdy and Howell are nothing alike, the only thing they share is build. The way they approach the game, how they throw the ball, their strengths and weaknesses, are all miles away from each other. They look nothing alike.

Purdy is a more cerebral QB that has a "good enough arm". He's mainly a prototypical pocket QB, he's closer to Geno Smith in skillset than Sam Howell. Howell on the other hand is a different beast all together. Howell's first instinct is to bail out of the pocket and hang onto the ball to make something happen. He's deceptively athletic despite his 5 sec 40 time. He has the ability to shrug of defenders trying to get him. He plays a more backyard football style. He held onto the ball longer than just about anyone in the NFL last season. He has a long wind up and his footwork is a mess.

Sam Howell is much more similar to a Big Ben sort of character or even Russell Wilson in how he plays the game. His release also seems to have a fairly long wind up time to it.
You are right, but I hope Sam Howell could be our Purdy by taking the Hawks beyond conference championship games.

projectorfreak

Reaction score
It is something that defensive lineman love , knowing all they can do is pass as washington had no running game so just let er rip and rush the QB , im curious how almost any team would be able to make that work
The amount of passing was absurd so yeah he got sacked a lot, I would have loved to know what his coaching staff was planning or saying to him.
I think the combination of crappy team and coaching and game planning would've made it nearly impossible for even Brady to be successful
Hoping he learns a lot here , he hardly ever slid and he got balls for sure

Atradees

Reaction score
Howell looks like a beast to me. Love to see a monster QB emerge. Ima go watch some more of his stuff. I see good footwork. I see Sam running like a RB crashing thru tackles. He can throw in the pocket with a cannon of an arm. I see shovel passes and improvision. He can scramble away from trouble. Loads of potential. Very young. Younger than Bo Nix.

Last edited:

AgentDib

Reaction score
Personally, I didn't like Howell in the 2022 draft and didn't like the fit here. Short RPO QB with terrible pocket awareness who hung onto the ball forever looking for big plays. NFL teams clearly felt the same way with him falling to the 5th round, and Schneider passed on him at least 5-6 times at the time.

Since then, he's had a couple of decent games where the scrambling and big plays connected but overall he has made a bad impression in the league. He didn't do any of the stuff last year that you need for an offense to stay on schedule consistently. His 21 INTs were actually low compared to his turnover worthy play rate (4.1%). Washington decided he wasn't it and moved on from him, and I don't see why anybody should more excited about him now than they were previously just because he's our roster now.

Plenty is funny. Howell experts coming out of the woodwork. That's just funny to me, that's all.
I look forward to seeing what he can do.
Is it funnier to have an opinion regarding Howell then any other player on the roster? He's a new addition to our roster but not an unknown quantity. I'm sure most here are familiar with Howell as a prospect going into the 2022 draft where it looked like the Hawks would take a QB. There are also plenty who watch NFL games beyond only Hawks games.

I'm not going to hate too much on the trade because QB is an important position worth taking lots of shots at. I'm just very skeptical about Howell's ability to ever be a top 20 NFL QB.