Sam Howell is Geno's Backup!!

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
So we gave up a lot of draft position for last years 5th round pick who threw 20 interceptions and is expected to be a backup?

RiverDog

Reaction score
So we gave up a lot of draft position for last years 5th round pick who threw 20 interceptions and is expected to be a backup?
I disagree with your characterization of "a lot" of draft position. If it were the difference between a 1st and 2nd round pick, then I'd agree. But there's not as great of a quality difference between a 3rd and a 4th and even less of a difference between a 4th and a 5th than there is in the 1st and 2nd rounds. Considering that we're getting a very young 2nd year quarterback with starting experience that our GM has been following for some time, I'm delighted with the trade.

But I hear ya about the 20 picks. It's a concern, and an indication that he's still a work in progress. But keep in mind that both Geno and Lock had horrible TD:INT ratios, too. In fact, Howell's first 2 seasons TD:INT ratio, 22:22, is better than Geno's first 4 seasons with the Jets, 28:36.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
The trade for Howell reminds me a lot of when Green Bay acquired Brett Fave except Green Bay used a 1st rd pick. Favre was a problem child in Atlanta, Jerry Granville hated him who also threw a pick 6 in his first NFL pass and don’t forget he is the NFLs all time leader in interceptions. Both Howell and Favre are/were gun slingers. John Schneider is a Ron Wolf disciple

Also in the Favre trade is during the post trade physical the Green Bay doctors discovered Favre had the same bone degenerative issue in his hip that Bo Jackson had, Wolf overruled the team doctors and went ahead with the trade anyways

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Time for our daily reminder about how the Commandos were still an epic dumpster fire from the top down going into and throughout the 2023 season.

chris98251

Reaction score
The trade for Howell reminds me a lot of when Green Bay acquired Brett Fave except Green Bay used a 1st rd pick. Favre was a problem child in Atlanta, Jerry Granville hated him who also threw a pick 6 in his first NFL pass and don’t forget he is the NFLs all time leader in interceptions. Both Howell and Favre are/were gun slingers. John Schneider is a Ron Wolf disciple

Also in the Favre trade is during the post trade physical the Green Bay doctors discovered Favre had the same bone degenerative issue in his hip that Bo Jackson had, Wolf overruled the team doctors and went ahead with the trade anyways
Yes and he would have been a Seahawk if Knox got his way that year.