Sam Howell is Geno's Backup!!

themunn

Reaction score
Why are we giving up draft picks for this, especially a 3rd round

I mean if we picked a development QB in the 3rd round with the 97th pick it would be all of about 2 weeks before people are calling him to start over Geno.

This is a great trade, relatively low price for a guy who has shown flashes in a single season starting - including 3+ TD games against the Hawks, Falcons and Eagles (perhaps we just keep him for bird-related games?)

DirectMessage

Reaction score
I mean if we picked a development QB in the 3rd round with the 97th pick it would be all of about 2 weeks before people are calling him to start over Geno.

This is a great trade, relatively low price for a guy who has shown flashes in a single season starting - including 3+ TD games against the Hawks, Falcons and Eagles (perhaps we just keep him for bird-related games?)
Yup. He's a young QB that has a good amount of games played and shows flashes of ability. I can't imagine someone rating a kid coming out of college higher than someone who actually played in the league? Plus the Seahawks pretty much suck at drafting.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Howell’s upside could be higher than Geno’s, since Howell is 10 years younger than Geno. Howell played pretty decent on a bad Camando’s team as a rookie. He had an offensive coordinator than really didn’t try to protect him and just threw him out there to sling it. Let him learn, let the game slow down. Next year we might just be surprised.

nwHawk

Reaction score
If I were JS/MM, the only QBs in the draft I'd want over Sam Howell are Williams, Maye, and Daniels. They won't be available to us at #16. The other QBs I'd consider taking at 16 are JJ McCarthy and Michael Penix. Not Nix. But I'd rather take a stud OL or DL at 16 if we stay there. The QBs will push the draft board to us. Basically we will get a top 10 trenches player that will be a franchise cornerstone for years if we stay put and draft smart. The UW offensive lineman seems like a good bet.

I'd rather roll with Geno, and know we'll probably get top-15 performance this year, and groom Howell for another year, maybe 2. Commies made a mistake in not hanging onto Howell, IMO. Howell is on track for learning to process the field and has the physical traits.

So just NO to trading up to #9 and giving away and 2nd rounder next year, unless it's a draft day on the clock deal IF there's a QB the Hawks love and see as QBOTF, e.g., JJ McCarthy. (I don't know how the Hawks feel about JJ) Even then, it just creates a muddled QB situation and looks bad for JS. The Hawks need good players on rookie contracts, guys who can plug into MM's system on D. I could see the Hawks doing a trade to get in position to draft Penix, but still, muddled.

I think Grubb watched a ton of film on Howell and decided he'd be a good fit for the offense he wants to run, even to the point of foregoing Penix. If we strike gold on Howell, we get an extra year of good-but-cheap QB play after another year of Geno.
I do think Caleb Williams is going to be a bust in Chicago.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He absolutely is. Dude is extremely self-centered. And every day, you hear more stuff about him that makes you think you'll see Ryan Leaf 2.0.
I hope he fails miserably. Talking about wanting ownership of the team after 3 years? Dude, just shut up and play ball.

Last edited:

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Bears have enough WRs OT or Edge would be good choices
Opinions are divided on the Bears forum. One idea is to maximize support for Williams to help him launch his career as strongly as possible and finish the defensive line in 2025. I want Odunze at #9 if available. Allen is not here more than a year or two at age 32. Otherwise, trade down and try to get Powers-Johnson. Brax is a good LT, so I don’t think that is likely.

OP
OP
CactusJack

CactusJack

Reaction score
If Grubb can get Howell to cut his int's in half or more, he'll be a younger version of....Geno. It's not good enough to win playoff games, let alone an sb, and not bad enough to get us out of qb Purgatory. This is shaping up wonderfully. The long-term strategy is clear as mud.
If you put Howell in this draft, he's likely to be the 4th or 5th QB taken. Before Nix & Penix.

It's a decent gamble by John. When you consider the cost (pick swap). There is upside with Howell. He has a very live arm. The only downside is the decision making at times, but that can be improved with experience & more reps. People look at the interceptions but also completely ignore the fact that he threw the ball more than 600 times last season. The Washington coaches did a poor job of creating more balance in the offense. They didn't run the ball. So, it's not surprising that Bieniemy didn't land another job elsewhere in the league.

There's no telling if Howell can or will be a franchise QB. But the same is true for the other QB's in consideration this year (Nix, Penix, McCarthy, etc.). All of them have questions about their game. Just like Howell.

Last edited:

Jac

Reaction score
If Grubb can get Howell to cut his int's in half or more he'll be a younger version of....Geno. Not good enough to win playoff games let alone a sb and not bad enough to get us out of qb Purgatory. This is shaping up wonderfully. The long term strategy is clear as mud.
He's played for ONE year. He learned a new offense that year to boot (Eric Bieniemy hired in Feb 2023). Trevor Lawrence was the consensus #1 overall QB three years ago, and he went for 3641 (12 tds/17 ints) in his rookie year, and 4016 (21 tds/14 ints) last year. Most (if not all) of these drafted QB's this year are going to fail or be huge disappointments.

DirectMessage

Reaction score
He's played for ONE year. He learned a new offense that year to boot (Eric Bieniemy hired in Feb 2023). Trevor Lawrence was the consensus #1 overall QB three years ago, and he went for 3641 (12 tds/17 ints) in his rookie year, and 4016 (21 tds/14 ints) last year. Most (if not all) of these drafted QB's this year are going to fail or be huge disappointments.
Trevor Lawrence was called a can't miss generational talent.

WarHawks

Reaction score
I love all the optimism. Maybe Howell can break the mold and be the first 5th round qb to ever win a sb. Brady was a 6th rounder, so you never know. At least it's something to talk about. 28 pages and counting. Not too shabby.

Jac

Reaction score
I love all the optimism. Maybe Howell can break the mold and be the first 5th round qb to ever win a sb. Brady was a 6th rounder, so you never know. At least it's something to talk about. 28 pages and counting. Not too shabby.
This is going to be the most exciting training camp in a LONG time.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Great comparison!
Also, Geno Smith's interception rate last year was 1.8%. Near tops in the league.

Also of note, Howell was sacked 65 times!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240318_101824_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240318_101824_Chrome.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 9