Sam Howell is Geno's Backup!!

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Whose proposal is this, though? And why wouldn't the Broncos or Vikings offer more for the same deal, since they are in worse QB situations than the Seahawks?

And you continue to miss the point that I said I find the idea of trading up to get the #4 QB is fundamentally poor judgement. I don't buy that McCarthy, Nix, or Penix are first round prospects in a regular year without so many teams drafting QB early in the draft. (Certainly not in the top half of the first round.)

I am not trading with the Vikings. Let them settle for whatever they can get at #11, and they have little to gain anyway, since the Jets are not a threat to draft a QB. Normally, the lower down you trade, the better draft pick you get in the exchange. If I can’t get a deal with the Seahawks, I will try to trade down to 17-19 and still pick up a second round pick and stay ahead of the Steelers – who are a big threat to draft Powers-Johnson (the guy I want in this trade).

I understand that you don’t want any of these quarterbacks.
Good luck next year, for reasons I explained.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
:LOL: at all the hype about Schneider "lying." We're coming into draft season. He's trying to make deals. He is of course going to be talking in codes and maybes. No way he's gonna say something that reveals what his coming draft strategy is going to be or who and what he's gonna target.

🤷‍♂️

It's not "lying," it's gamemanship and the NFL version of political speech. Always leave them guessing. ;)
It's more like John Schneider should shut up, it looks like he's relishing the spotlight right now. There was no need for him to say those things about Brooks and Lock. I haven't ever seen a Seahawk GM make more public statements or feel a need to defend past moves more than Schneider. The Brooks statement in particular just looked unprofessional to me. None of these statements do anything in terms of subterfuge, it's just dumb justifications. Let your decisions do the talking dude, you don't need to tell us why you didn't resign Brooks or Lock.

These explanations all sound contrived and disingenuous too. Just shut up and do your job, we don't need lengthy explanations that sound dubious. He doesn't owe anyone explanations, certainly not the fans.

Last edited:

nwHawk

Reaction score
So, desperate to move down… I do not see Hawks moving up that high this season.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
So, desperate to move down… I do not see Hawks moving up that high this season.
Why? Do you really think Seahawks will be better positioned to draft a QB in 2025, or are you rolling with Howell for a couple years? I’m trying to understand how you guys see the big picture at QB.

Seahawker

Reaction score
Why? Do you really think Seahawks will be better positioned to draft a QB in 2025, or are you rolling with Howell for a couple years? I’m trying to understand how you guys see the big picture at QB.
We don't want to end up in a Justin Fields situation and we have starting holes to fill. We could probably trade down a little & still get one of the QB's, including Penix. We also don't want to be missing a 2nd rounder AGAIN next year.
Sometimes the knee jerk reaction isn't the right move.
Often its patience & nerve that pays off.

Rat

Reaction score
I don't think we're in a great spot this year. The top four QBs will probably be off the board within the first six picks, and we don't have the capital to move up THAT high, especially without a second rounder, and now one of our thirds is a fourth. We don't really even have any players that could get us there, except for maybe Spoon, which would be stupid.

I've been high on Howell for a while, but I still do hope they consider Penix if he's there at 16. His injury history is troubling, but I don't think we'd have any chance at him without it. I'm not a huge Nix fan. I mean, Stevie is awesome, but Bo didn't look all that impressive to me for like 12 of the 15 years he spent in college.

CPHawk

Reaction score
One can argue if Trevor Lawrence is even a franchise qb at this point.
Bears just keep striking out..batting avg is .000
It’s going to continue with Williams. The bears are cursed. And the trade for Allen is borderline like us picking up Jerry Rice. Allen can’t ever stay healthy, and he’s getting old.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
LOL. My wife would divorce me. That’s why we moved West. She’s an Oregonian.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
It’s going to continue with Williams. The bears are cursed. And the trade for Allen is borderline like us picking up Jerry Rice. Allen can’t ever stay healthy, and he’s getting old.
Well, at least in September, Williams will have two Pro Bowl receivers. I want Odunze at #9, but there’s a big debate on our forum over what to do with the pick.

Maulbert

Reaction score
LOL. My wife would divorce me. That’s why we moved West. She’s an Oregonian.
Here's the thing, Bear-Hawk- you do, no doubt, like the Seahawks. And no one here is upset that you're a Bears fan first, but Seattle doesn't have the capital to move up and take a no-doubter this season. You're convinced it would take just a second rounder, and I find that laughable. You seem convinced we'll be better next season, which I have NO idea where that confidence comes from, but even if we are, just having a second rounder next year will give us more wiggle room, and if we do improve, we'll either be more confident to move up if it costs future capital, or we'll feel comfortable with what we have at that point.

And honestly, if you lack so much confidence in Howell, why in the world do you expect us to be considerably better?

nwHawk

Reaction score
This draft may end up producing several top or bust QBs. Is it worth jumping up to grab the 4 or 5th QB? I don’t think so. I really like the move to go get Howell. Let him sit a year and learn from Geno. If something happens to Geno, at least we know he has upside.

This team still has plenty of holes that need to be filled the next two years. I’m not interested in giving the Bears a #2 next year. if I wanted Penix, I’d just take him at #16. He’ll still be there. I’d rather trade back, acquire another pick or two and look at LG or NT T'Vondre Sweat. But that’s just me.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
This draft may end up producing several top or bust QBs. Is it worth jumping up to grab the 4 or 5th QB? I don’t think so. I really like the move to go get Howell. Let him sit a year and learn from Geno. If something happens to Geno, at least we know he has upside.

This team still has plenty of holes that need to be filled the next two years. I’m not interested in giving the Bears a #2 next year. if I wanted Penix, I’d just take him at #16. He’ll still be there. I’d rather trade back, acquire another pick or two and look at LG or NT T'Vondre Sweat. But that’s just me.
It depends on how you rank the QBs, the gaps in playing ability from #4 to #6, and where you think each will fall in the draft. I think you could trade down and still get Penix. I wouldn’t bet on it with McCarthy. Nix? Who knows. You can’t predict what GM may love which QB, once you get past Bears drafting Williams.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Here's the thing, Bear-Hawk- you do, no doubt, like the Seahawks. And no one here is upset that you're a Bears fan first, but Seattle doesn't have the capital to move up and take a no-doubter this season. You're convinced it would take just a second rounder, and I find that laughable. You seem convinced we'll be better next season, which I have NO idea where that confidence comes from, but even if we are, just having a second rounder next year will give us more wiggle room, and if we do improve, we'll either be more confident to move up if it costs future capital, or we'll feel comfortable with what we have at that point.

And honestly, if you lack so much confidence in Howell, why in the world do you expect us to be considerably better?
With the new coaching staff coming in, it could go either way. I don’t want to venture into that debate. But with further development of our young players, Geno stays heathy enough, and Lucas and Nwosu return to form, there is ground for optimism. But I know there are “ifs”. I start every season optimistic and then go down from there. LOL.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Just for shits and giggles, let’s say there are no trades:

1. Caleb Williams - Bears
2. Jayden Daniels - Washington
3. Drake Maye - New England
11. J.J. McCarthy - Vikings
12. Bo Nix - Denver
27. Michael Penix - Raiders

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Just for shits and giggles, let’s say there are no trades:

1. Caleb Williams - Bears
2. Jayden Daniels - Washington
3. Drake Maye - New England
11. J.J. McCarthy - Vikings
12. Bo Nix - Denver
27. Michael Penix - Raiders
That is very plausible and why I want the trade. It is also predictable that there will be some surprises.

olyfan63

Reaction score
That is very plausible and why I want the trade. It is also predictable that there will be some surprises.
If I were JS/MM, the only QBs in the draft I'd want over Sam Howell are Williams, Maye, and Daniels. They won't be available to us at #16. The other QBs I'd consider taking at 16 are JJ McCarthy and Michael Penix. Not Nix. But I'd rather take a stud OL or DL at 16 if we stay there. The QBs will push the draft board to us. Basically we will get a top 10 trenches player that will be a franchise cornerstone for years if we stay put and draft smart. The UW offensive lineman seems like a good bet.

I'd rather roll with Geno, and know we'll probably get top-15 performance this year, and groom Howell for another year, maybe 2. Commies made a mistake in not hanging onto Howell, IMO. Howell is on track for learning to process the field and has the physical traits.

So just NO to trading up to #9 and giving away and 2nd rounder next year, unless it's a draft day on the clock deal IF there's a QB the Hawks love and see as QBOTF, e.g., JJ McCarthy. (I don't know how the Hawks feel about JJ) Even then, it just creates a muddled QB situation and looks bad for JS. The Hawks need good players on rookie contracts, guys who can plug into MM's system on D. I could see the Hawks doing a trade to get in position to draft Penix, but still, muddled.

I think Grubb watched a ton of film on Howell and decided he'd be a good fit for the offense he wants to run, even to the point of foregoing Penix. If we strike gold on Howell, we get an extra year of good-but-cheap QB play after another year of Geno.

WarHawks

Reaction score
If Grubb can get Howell to cut his int's in half or more he'll be a younger version of....Geno. Not good enough to win playoff games let alone a sb and not bad enough to get us out of qb Purgatory. This is shaping up wonderfully. The long term strategy is clear as mud.

Latest posts