Sam Howell is Geno's Backup!!

WarHawks

Reaction score
I am a fan of both teams. Getting a QB is more important than whether you have +/- one pick in 2025. I could be wrong, and I hope I am, but I feel that we will waste two years with Howell before drafting a QB.
+1

Jac

Reaction score
I am a fan of both teams. Getting a QB is more important than whether you have +/- one pick in 2025. I could be wrong, and I hope I am, but I feel that we will waste two years with Howell before drafting a QB.
It's possible, but I think Howell has shown he's an NFL QB. He obviously needs to continue improving so it's incumbent upon him to do everything possible to do so. There are QB's in this upcoming first round (even at the very top of the draft) who will quickly demonstrate that they don't have what it takes to be an NFL QB.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Vikings have recently acquired the Texans 1st rd pick, word has it they will trade up to #3 sending 2 2024 1st rd and 1 2025 picks. Minnesota loves Drake Maye
And what I read is that the Vikings have changed their mind and will take McCarthy at #11. Then Broncos will take a QB at #12. The Seahawks can jump above both to #9 and choose among McCarthy, Nix, Penix.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Yeah, I've gone from being hyper-focused on "he can make all the throws" to more emphasis on something like "he can find the right throws to make". The latter is so important but so difficult to scout/evaluate based on the college game.
That’s true. I mentioned the Pro Day performance, because some question his arm strength. He’s not Josh Allen, but it is not a problem.

Jac

Reaction score
And what I read is that the Vikings have changed their mind and will take McCarthy at #11. Then Broncos will take a QB at #12. The Seahawks can jump above both to #9 and choose among McCarthy, Nix, Penix.
I think you'd find many teams/scouts that put Howell in the same (or near) tier as McCarthy, Nix, Penix. And out of curiosity, I have to wonder how much of a better prospect Drake Maye (who will go #2 or #3) is over Howell. I read the scouting report strengths/weaknesses for each (the NFL.com one) and I like Howell's list over his. Maye has all the feel of a QB that busts in this league. Again, that's not to say that Howell is the answer, but he has the feel of a draft pick and is worth working with.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
One can argue if Trevor Lawrence is even a franchise qb at this point.
I have been watching NFL for 60 years. The game has become incredibly more complex in the variety of schemes that offensive and defensive coordinators employ to confuse the opponent. And the players are much bigger and faster in executing plays within those more complex schemes. It takes a quarterback with a high football IQ and a brain that can process complex information in under 2.5 seconds. The speed and complexity of the NFL compared to college is so great that we can’t predict with accuracy when drafting a QB. You just have take your best guess and pull the trigger. You can find your QB1 anywhere in the draft (like Purdy).

Two things are true:
1. It is difficult to draft a franchise QB. It’s not an exact science.
2. You can’t get a hit if you never swing the bat. If you miss, try again….and again…and again. Grossman, McNoun, Trubisky, Fields, Williams.
Bears just keep striking out..batting avg is .000

RiverDog

Reaction score
Bear-Hawk seems to be highly focused on the #9 pick I think he is more of a Bears than a Hawks fan, he has said he wants the Bears to trade back to #16 and draft JPJ. Seahawks need more picks not less

JS just drafted his QB it was off of the Commanders roster
I'm not going to question the allegiance of another poster, but I don't get the fascination over the 9th overall, either especially if we're supposed to trade for it blindly not knowing who will be there.

It's without question that Howell is a quarterback who JS has had his eyes on, but whether or not he views him as our QBOTF remains to be seen. My guess is that he saw the opportunity to get him as a cheap wager and that at a minimum, we'll save a couple $M by having him as our backup vs. someone like Lock.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I think you'd find many teams/scouts that put Howell in the same (or near) tier as McCarthy, Nix, Penix. And out of curiosity, I have to wonder how much of a better prospect Drake Maye (who will go #2 or #3) is over Howell. I read the scouting report strengths/weaknesses for each (the NFL.com one) and I like Howell's list over his. Maye has all the feel of a QB that busts in this league. Again, that's not to say that Howell is the answer, but he has the feel of a draft pick and is worth working with.
I just read the Bleacher Report college report on Howell. They say he “needs to become a more consistent player operating from the pocket to be anything more than a high end backup or spot starter.”

After a year in the NFL, that seems still true to me.

RiverDog

Reaction score
One can argue if Trevor Lawrence is even a franchise qb at this point.
Bears just keep striking out..batting avg is .000
They're not the only ones. Except for Peyton Manning, the Broncos have been trying since John Elway retired some 25 years ago to get a franchise QB. Same story with the Browns. It's almost like the harder you try, the more likely you are to fail.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I'm not going to question the allegiance of another poster, but I don't get the fascination over the 9th overall, either especially if we're supposed to trade for it blindly not knowing who will be there.

It's without question that Howell is a quarterback who JS has had his eyes on, but whether or not he views him as our QBOTF remains to be seen. My guess is that he saw the opportunity to get him as a cheap wager and that at a minimum, we'll save a couple $M by having him as our backup vs. someone like Lock.
The guy I want at #9 is Bo Nix. But if you like McCarthy Penix, they will be there,too. The only thing that could screw this up is the Vikings give the Chargers two first round picks for #5. I don’t even care about that if they take McCarthy. The only way I miss is if Vikings trade up to #5 AND take Nix. That is a low probability, but if that happens I can trade down the #9 on draft night or draft the best defensive lineman in this draft.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Two things are true:
1. It is difficult to draft a franchise QB. It’s not an exact science.
2. You can’t get a hit if you never swing the bat. If you miss, try again….and again…and again. Grossman, McNoun, Trubisky, Fields, Williams.
Acquiring a franchise quarterback is the surest way to success, but it's not the only way. The Eagles won a Lombardi with Nick Foles. The Ravens won one with Trent Dilfer and the Bucs won it all with Brad Johnson. Kurt Warner was washed up and heading out of the league before he became part of the Greatest Show on Turf then almost did it again with the Cards, taking them to their one and only SB.

I don't want to get so preoccupied with acquiring a franchise quarterback that we're closing out all the other ways one can achieve success. Be opportunistic and go get one that you think has all the necessary ingredients and is reachable but don't sell the farm ala Bears, Browns, and Broncos.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Trading a bunch of capital to get the 4th/5th/6th best QB is nuts to me. None of those guys would go on day one if this were any other year.

QBs are the most important single position on a team. But they are still just 1 spot on one third of a complete team. Based on the analysis we are seeing here, if the first 15 teams ahead of the Seahawks were to draft a QB each, there are some fans here who think we should be drafting Devin Leary instead of the #1 OT or the #1 DT or the #1 EDGE or the #1... well, you get the point.

Right now, our #16 is worth more as a trade down chip than a trade up chip. When the top of the draft board is not so desperate for a QB, you have more flexibility to make moves. But right now, we have a good veteran QB and a cheap backup with potential. We aren't desperate for a QB (despite the handwringing by some fans here), so why would we behave like a team who is desperate for a QB?

You never want to pass on your next franchise QB when you have a reasonable shot at him, but you don't sell the farm for a middling prospect just to say you drafted a QB. (No one is going to admit it now, but the number of folks on this board who were advocating selling the farm for Will Levis or Anthony Richardson is not zero...)

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Acquiring a franchise quarterback is the surest way to success, but it's not the only way. The Eagles won a Lombardi with Nick Foles. The Ravens won one with Trent Dilfer and the Bucs won it all with Brad Johnson. Kurt Warner was washed up and heading out of the league before he became part of the Greatest Show on Turf then almost did it again with the Cards, taking them to their one and only SB.

I don't want to get so preoccupied with acquiring a franchise quarterback that we're closing out all the other ways one can achieve success. Be opportunistic and go get one that you think has all the necessary ingredients and is reachable but don't sell the farm ala Bears, Browns, and Broncos.
That is my plan with Bo Nix. All I am trading is a second round pick. Build around him like the 49ers with Purdy. You don’t need Mahomes to win a Super Bowl. I just don’t (yet) see Howell in that role.

DirectMessage

Reaction score
C. J. Stroud would like a word with you...
Time will tell. Let's see if the NFL figured him out this year or not. Baker and CJ had remarkably similar rookie years.

CJ Stroud rookie year

GPCMPATTCMP%YDSAVGTDINTLNGSACKRTGQBR

Baker Mayfield rookie year

SEASONTMGPCMPATTPCTATT/GYDSAVGYDS/GTDTD%INTINT%LNGSCKSCKYFUMLOSTRATE
2018CLE1431048663.834.73,7257.7266.1275.6142.971251737393.7

rigelian

Reaction score
I think I'm ok with it. You drop down 20sh? picks or so and maybe Howell's tape suggests he has the potential to be really good. He did throw for 4,000 yards last year I think on a bad team without any weapons? I seem to always be contrarian lately and maybe its driving this but I like it.
No weapons and no offensive line...so he should slip in here nicely since he has weapons here.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Howell had weapons. Top Billin' was explaining how Washington's receiving corps is better than ours. Color me skeptical. As we've seen with Geno, and with people in general throughout all walks of life, leopards don't drastically change their spots. People generally are what they are.

DirectMessage

Reaction score
Howell had weapons. Top Billin' was explaining how Washington's receiving corps is better than ours. Color me skeptical. As we've seen with Geno, and with people in general throughout all walks of life, leopards don't drastically change their spots. People generally are what they are.
Yeah, but did they have Grubb? 🤔😄. Damn, I hope Grubb turns out to be the real deal. Saw some of Penix's game breakdowns. He was completing highly contested passes that were close. The speed difference in the NFL, those would be knock downs or picks.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
JS says Geno is starter, and Howell is only brought in as his backup. So unless Geno is seriously injured, management won’t have much chance to develop and evaluate Howell as QB1 replacement for Geno.

Latest posts